Where were you in '82? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Where were you in '82?

David C said:
Remember 1982?

That was the last time a Richmond side won the first finals match of a series they played in. In every single finals appearance since we have been defeated in the first match we have played in. 1982 is a bloody long time ago now.

Can Hardwick this week protect the players from the ferals inside and outside of the club who back-slap and pump up people who have basically achieved nothing as yet, can he give the team a fighting chance of victory without the handicap of the deluded hype that explodes out of Punt Road every time we are in this situation? I hope so.

Hardwick needs to hire security guards and vicious dogs to guard the football department from any clueless board member or marketing mug who dares get near the players at this time of year, and he should probably rip out every phone line in his area to make it harder for any of the deluded to make contact.

went to most home games that year and the semi at Waverley. Was at the end where Mark Lee kicked a few. Got standing room tickets in the old Southern Stand, thought we were still in it at 3/4 , mostly thanks to one M Rioli. Was 14 years old but was philosophical.

Agree with your sentiment that Dimma makes sure that the boys understand that they need to win the elimination final. Would have thought they already knew this but apparently they are easily confused by us wacky supporters.

My debut with the ....<name deleted!>.... "Ledge Members" annual pilgrimage to crash the MCC stand.
Standing room ticket to get inside.
Through a wire hole at the back of the southern stand.
Climbing along the ledge at the back of the stadium.
Running down over a roof or two.
Drop down into the MCC Members.
All good - until we bloody lost.

It's been written about before but the fact Malthouse didn't play and the early injury to Bruce Tempany left us vulnerable at the back.
Plus the non selection of barge Taylor
Oh well, time to write a new GF history Tigers !!

Sintiger said:
It's been written about before but the fact Malthouse didn't play and the early injury to Bruce Tempany left us vulnerable at the back.

Good post Sin.
I guess if we don't rewrite GF history this year, then in 33 years time Tiger supporters will still be sooking about Houli's kick in against Freo (luckily I'll be long dead by then).

Go Tiges!

A shimmer of a glint in the milkman's eye is where I was in 1982. Success starved to say the least.

I was fortunate to go in 82 as my brother gave me his gf ticket (goes a hawks man) so I sat with his friends as a 15 yr old. I'm still always surprised we only lost by 3 goals. My recollection was I felt like we were always behind and unlikely to win.

Sintiger said:

And I have always added the injury to ditch burn which forced him off early. Busustow was switched onto Martello a very bad mismatch for us.
And there was a 5 th factor that has slipped out of my mind..... But the 6 behinds in q3 just made it too hard.

Was that 5th factor the weather? It had been a very dry winter and we were a bit tall.
Right at the opening bounce it started to bucket down. Cartoon had two goals on the board before we had barely touched the ball and by the time the rain stopped a few minutes later they were three goals in front.
We composed ourselves and even lead at half time, but that three goals was exactly the final margin.