Where were you in '82? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Where were you in '82?

I was just a young fella, sat on the wing - and that mappa tassie has haunted me ever since.

Actually I too was thinking about that the other day - even though we had relatively successful finals appearances in 1995 and 2001, 1982 was indeed the last time we won our first final.

I went to the 72, 73 and 74 Grand Finals (and alot of others we weren't in at that time).
Couldn't get tickets to 1980 - playing Collingwood does that.
My father, mother and brother all managed to get tickets via different methods but I couldn't.
I remembered not being too fussed about it because I thought there'd be more GF appearances on the way.

1982 I did get a ticket - top deck, southern stand behind the PRE goals.
Very, very depressing. I reckon the 1982 side was better than 1980's.
I still don't know how we lost that.

As for Helen d'Amico, it's a misconception that she stopped our run - if anything her appearance could have done more to stop Carlton.
We were 11 points up at half time 58-47.
Ten minutes into the third quarter - Mike Fitzpatrick has just kicked a goal to put them up 61-60 (from a pretty dodgy free kick against Alan Martello of all people I might add).
It is at that point that she comes on after two Carlton goals to grab the lead.

Ridley said:
I was at both the semi final at Waverley and at the Grand Final with my old man (Happy Fathers' Day Dad; still miss you after 21 years).

Anyway I was only a teenager and very upset at losing the GF. I do recall Dad telling me not to worry too much as it wasn't as bad as 1972!!

I thought we'd be back again the next year and many after that. How wrong I was............

Me too. I was 14 but cried and was embarrassed. I really sooked, I was used to being king. It was cool to graffitti your school bag back then, I grafittid 'tigers back in '83' on mine. The same '84.

I was 8. I'd been a Tiger in name and bragging rights more than anything for about 18 months. I still had my Irish accent and I still spoke too fast. I watched the game on the telly, it might have been my first time watching a full game actually. I remember getting really into it and thinking the Carlton blokes were cheating and trying to win by belting us senseless. I remember most vividly the Leunig cartoon after the loss, a rarity for its use of colour, a bleak, black and white footy lanscape splashed with bright red streaks of blood.

tigersnake said:
Me too. I was 14 but cried and was embarrassed. I really sooked, I was used to being king. It was cool to graffitti your school bag back then, I grafittid 'tigers back in '83' on mine. The same '84.

Long list snakey. ;D

I lost faith in 1985 and stopped going to games until KB took over in 1988. Felt embarrassed to show I was a Tiger supporter after all the taunting of the 'Eat our own' coaches I copped.

5 years old and couldn't careless. 33 years on and I am excited and nervous at the same time. Can't wait for Sunday.

23.21.159 said:
While on the topic ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_yu4t8vYQ
I believe the woman briefly shown at the end is d'Amico.

It's her OK. Funny ads they stopped making. Lockett's one is the best.

Pressed up against the fence in Bay 12 standing room with the old man. Traumatic day, was confident going in after the easy semi win but from the time the fight started in the first quarter, things didn't go to plan. Never felt we were going to get up, even when scores were close.

At that stage I'd been to 7 finals in 6 years of going to the footy. Only went to 7 in the next 32 years (missed Brisbane 2001).

That first final in 82 was in week 2. Our 18-4 record put us on top and so under the final five system had a week off.
We lost both H&a games to both blues and Hawks who finished second and third. Hence the emphatic 2nd semi win over blues was a relief. I was very worried if we had to play the Hawks but the blues accounted for the comfortably. Rest is history.
(Checking stats for the second semi ... Carlton frees for 62 - tigers 36 .... Anyone want a return to those days, so much more is let go today. And maggots always end up just about evening them up by games end, except in WC home games )

Went to mates house (scum supporter) to watch, but we went bike riding and missed most of the game . Got back & watched the last 10 minutes. I sobbed for a solid 1/2 hour. My mate said "it's only a bloody game. Stop crying!" I said "*smile*" & went home.

I was 10.

Lets smash Norfolk!!!

caspar said:
Went to mates house (scum supporter) to watch, but we went bike riding and missed most of the game . Got back & watched the last 10 minutes. I sobbed for a solid 1/2 hour. My mate said "it's only a bloody game. Stop crying!" I said "*smile*" & went home.

I was 10.

Lets smash Norfolk!!!

We were all sooks as kids. :hihi

Wasn't the Tassie team called New Norfolk?

Level 3 , standing room, the old Northern Stand.
Had my Sanyo tape recorder with me belting out Eye of the Tiger on the BASF cassette.

After the loss I went straight to bed and stayed there for about 3 weeks. Glandular fever is a *smile* but at least it helped me avoid facing the blues supporters at school straight after the loss

TigerForce said:
We were all sooks as kids. :hihi

Wasn't the Tassie team called New Norfolk?

Ha ha!

Me writing Norfolk was a gift of autocorrect . But I liked it , so I left it

Norfolk should take the cue then and become New New Norfolk.

They've tried Canberra , the Gold Coast, Melbourne (as a merge), now Hobart. Geez, there ain't too many places left to relocate to!