Where were you in '82? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Where were you in '82?

dcstar

Once sane, always Richmond......
Nov 5, 2003
Melbourne
Remember 1982?

That was the last time a Richmond side won the first finals match of a series they played in. In every single finals appearance since we have been defeated in the first match we have played in. 1982 is a bloody long time ago now.

Can Hardwick this week protect the players from the ferals inside and outside of the club who back-slap and pump up people who have basically achieved nothing as yet, can he give the team a fighting chance of victory without the handicap of the deluded hype that explodes out of Punt Road every time we are in this situation? I hope so.

Hardwick needs to hire security guards and vicious dogs to guard the football department from any clueless board member or marketing mug who dares get near the players at this time of year, and he should probably rip out every phone line in his area to make it harder for any of the deluded to make contact.

I was 2 rows behind the goals in the old "Standing Room" area. It was the last time I cried in public. Damn you Helen D'Amico and your nakedness for stopping our momentum and breaking our concentration. Oh and get stuffed Carlton :mad:

In the Ponsford stand , could even get a good view of Helen D'Marco.

Then I was at home at a celebration party/wake with a group of Tiger supporters drinking too much

Motorbike riding out the back of Ballan and doing pit stops to our camp to tune into the radio scores. Was disappointed we lost but just expected we would be back the next year to win another one. Hence my nonchalance at not watching it. How bloody wrong was I. I think we're getting there now though. Let's see!

Besides the fanny oops funny scene at the GF, I woz there at the 1982 SF with my Dad and my Fitzroy mate at Waverley. Easy win for us but I remember sh!tting my pants in the last.

Fortunately my mate had a VHS and managed to record the match, rewind has never been so handy. ;D

bullus_hit said:
Fortunately my mate had a VHS and managed to record the match, rewind has never been so handy. ;D

While lying in bed or sitting on a couch? :hihi

Was sitting in the old Richmond members area near the old race in the bottom level of the Olympic Stand when we lost the GF. Agree with KB - we should never had lost that game with the team we had.

Tigers2011 said:
Was sitting in the old Richmond members area near the old race in the bottom level of the Olympic Stand when we lost the GF. Agree with KB - we should never had lost that game with the team we had.

Actually, I hope Sheahan asks TJ some sharp questions about the 1982 GF on Open Mike tomorrow night. Besides the D'Amico conspiracy theory I keep harping on, I want to know WTF happened at half-time when we had momentum.

TigerForce said:
Actually, I hope Sheahan asks TJ some sharp questions about the 1982 GF on Open Mike tomorrow night. Besides the D'Amico conspiracy theory I keep harping on, I want to know WTF happened at half-time when we had momentum.
Francis Bourke was coach in 82, TF.

TigerForce said:
sh!t I'm old.... :hihi

Too many mixed memories of 1980 and 1982.

The haze of too many years in between, mate. Happens to us all.

I was ten, sitting in the lounge learning an early lesson about our southernmost isle (if they ever get a team down there she has to be the 'face' of the inaugural membership drive).

I was at both the semi final at Waverley and at the Grand Final with my old man (Happy Fathers' Day Dad; still miss you after 21 years).

Anyway I was only a teenager and very upset at losing the GF. I do recall Dad telling me not to worry too much as it wasn't as bad as 1972!!

I thought we'd be back again the next year and many after that. How wrong I was............

TJsFurrow said:
The haze of too many years in between, mate. Happens to us all.

I was ten, sitting in the lounge learning an early lesson about our southernmost isle (if they ever get a team down there she has to be the 'face' of the inaugural membership drive).

Yep. Sometimes I have to think twice on if we won the 1982 flag.

I'm all for Tassie having a team. Player exodus at GWS proves it....but that's another thread....

Ridley said:
I was at both the semi final at Waverley and at the Grand Final with my old man (Happy Fathers' Day Dad; still miss you after 21 years).

Anyway I was only a teenager and very upset at losing the GF. I do recall Dad telling me not to worry too much as it wasn't as bad as 1972!!

I thought we'd be back again the next year and many after that. How wrong I was............

I sooked until my Dad told me to grow up and not bother myself with footy all the time as I was too obsessed, even listening to other games on the radio and going to Fitzroy games with my schoolmate. Bad Monday at school fronting those a-hole Blooze fans and nearly got into a fight after school.

I was in the Army and having a BBQ at a Carlton mates house.

In the last quarter, when Carltank rolled away, I locked myself in his 'well used' dunny and got down on my lousy stinking knees and begged God to help us.

Thanks for nothing that day Pal!

TigerForce said:
I sooked until my Dad told me to grow up and not bother myself with footy all the time as I was too obsessed, even listening to other games on the radio and going to Fitzroy games with my schoolmate. Bad Monday at school fronting those a-hole Blooze fans and nearly got into a fight after school.

Ha ha yeah Monday was *smile* at school. There was this prick who was a Scumton supporter and when I walked into the classroom he had wrapped a Scumton scarf around the statue of Mary!!

Looking back it was quite humurous even though I was pissed off about having it rubbed in my face :hihi

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
I was in the Army and having a BBQ at a Carlton mates house.

In the last quarter, when Carltank rolled away, I locked myself in his 'well used' dunny and got down on my lousy stinking knees and begged God to help us.

Thanks for nothing that day Pal!

You didn't have Goodnight Saigon playing in the background did you CMT? ;D