Where do our weaknesses lie most? (poll) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Where do our weaknesses lie most? (poll)

Where do our weaknesses lie most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Coaching the obvious one to me. Under achieved as a group and that falls mostly with the main man.

Our list has been clearly superior to the likes of the dockers for at least the last 2 years yet they manage top 4 consistently. Swap the coaches swap the positions.

Ruck/leadership/mental other areas to improve. The mental side dependent on confidence instilled by (and from faith in)
the coach.

millar time said:
lack of belief by supporters another key deficiency

Piffle. There is belief enough to have record membership numbers and very generous donations.

Still think it starts with our coach (at the moment). He has been the first one to say he doesn't want to coach on emotion and motivation, process is his way. He might be a bit selective there. Oddly we come up well against his old side Hawthorn and I think a bit of good ol emotion and motivation gets unleashed. John Northey was at one end of the emotion spectrum and Dimma is definitely at the other end.

I'm not suggesting he is 100% wrong, but I do wonder whether he errs too much toward process than emotion/passion and motivation. The theory of process driven coaching will be fine for hubots one day.

rosy23 said:
Piffle. There is belief enough to have record membership numbers and very generous donations.

Don't take things so literally :D

Although I was at elim final 1 v Carlton and at half time the nervousness amongst tigers supporters was palpable. I informed anyone within earshot we were the better side playing better football and we simply couldn't lose. Those nervous nellies were right. I wasn't confident against port but again knew we were the better side and would deal with the kangas. Unfortunately we failed again.

Mental hurdles for me, which extends t the leadership group.
Our midfield was the other option. Other finalists have had mediocre rucks, but can win the ball off the oppositions taps. If we could control the ball in the middle better in finals, we'd stop the consecutive goal bursts from the opposition in their tracks.

If we fixed the mental hurdles, we wouldn't see choking and capitulation to begin with.

Tall defenders for me. High marking forwards kill us in big games. If Rancey goes down we are gawn with a capital G.

Our coach has underperformed in all three of our finals, unless he comes up with a sustainable game plan that will stand up in finals then this may be a quiet September.

Players can be replaced in our team from week to week but our coach remains there every week so unless he gets it right we all suffer.

He is capable of change but is very slow to do so, here's hoping that he gets is right this season and we all enjoy some September success.

yandb said:
Our coach has underperformed in all three of our finals, unless he comes up with a sustainable game plan that will stand up in finals then this may be a quiet September.

Players can be replaced in our team from week to week but our coach remains there every week so unless he gets it right we all suffer.

He is capable of change but is very slow to do so, here's hoping that he gets is right this season and we all enjoy some September success.
Strange but over the last three years when the players have followed the game plan as required, the team has been highly competitive against virtually all comers. We've managed to beat teams that regularly play finals, we've managed to win more games than losses. We've even managed a record breaking run to achieve finals when no-one believed it was possible.
Whenever the players have failed to stand up to performance requirements or game plan instructions we've crumbled and dropped games to bottom of the ladder teams or failed to perform as expected especially in finals.
Nothing the coach can do if the core of our better players decide to have an rdo whenever things get a bit tough, they more than anyone need to form a line in front of the mirror.

choosing 'mental hurdles' while true is a little abstract for me.

I think quality match day coaching and leadership are now our greatest deficiencies. Both of those are slowly improving though. They just need to become elite.

It would also be great to get an elite ruckman llke Goldy or the Mummy.

Obvioulsy a halfforward /midfielder matchwinner would be great. Too bad about Bennell - he was perfect.

TigerMasochist said:
Strange but over the last three years when the players have followed the game plan as required, the team has been highly competitive against virtually all comers. We've managed to beat teams that regularly play finals, we've managed to win more games than losses. We've even managed a record breaking run to achieve finals when no-one believed it was possible.
Whenever the players have failed to stand up to performance requirements or game plan instructions we've crumbled and dropped games to bottom of the ladder teams or failed to perform as expected especially in finals.
Nothing the coach can do if the core of our better players decide to have an rdo whenever things get a bit tough, they more than anyone need to form a line in front of the mirror.

The coach can replace the players who underperform perform but the players can't replace the coach if he underperforms.

If the coach continually picks the underperforming players who is at fault.

yandb said:
The coach can replace the players who underperform perform but the players can't replace the coach if he underperforms.

The list has a core of players that have been good enough to reach the finals, they perform to standard more often than not, until finals.

Its a fine line, if you leave out certain senior players, we probably don't play finals at all.

With a developing group you need senior bodies around them. We have gone from a list with almost no finals experience to one that now has most with finals experience.

Your statement is true in theory, but doesn't stand up if you look closely at where the RFC, our list and the need to avoid the one finals-bottom 4 for the next 5 year cycle.

Most sides who appear in the finals on a regular basis and win finals, have a solid core of proven, senior players who stand up under the intensity a final brings. Most of those learnt that in sides playing finals regularly, along side already developed finals proven players.

yandb said:

Dimma should have swapped the team out for the VFL team that won every 5th week

By far our biggest weakness (on field) is between our players ears.

They have beaten the very best over the last 3 years yet when the finals arrive we go to water.

Hopefully that will be addressed this season through sheer willpower and belief.

We have what is needed all over the ground, it is just a matter of the players believing they are good enough when its finals time.

yandb said:

He certainly can.
But what does the coach do when the core of his best twelve or fifteen players who week in week out play good solid footy that enables the team to reach the finals suddenly turn turtle in the first game of the finals, which just happens to be an all or nothing elimination final?
Should the coach sack all the half million dollar plus star players before hand n promote some rookies because he now knows the stars won't perform in a final?
Coach sets up structures, systems n standards that during the year will give the players the opportunity to be successful n play finals. If the players then decide to knock off n go on holidays after having reached the finals instead of at the very least maintaining their performance levels once they start playing finals. How is that the coaches fault? Bloody players should be striving to enhance their performance come finals time, not rolling over because they've achieved finals n it's suddenly got harder every year.