What would Graeme Richmond do | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What would Graeme Richmond do

Terrys Tigz

Tiger Rookie
Oct 8, 2006
When your a few kicks off a prelim (I think we would have beaten an undermanned Sydney) and the second youngest list behind the dogs you need to get drastic, the window is open, we have cash and currency.

So what would Graeme Richmond have done? My thoughts

1. Offer Trelour and GWS a deal that trumps the Pies. Or at least make another side near our level pay overs.
2. Contracts mean nothing in the current era. Approach players like Prestia, O'Meara, Zorco, Hartlett, dunstan etc and see what falls out if Trelour is a no
3. Use free agency to our advantage. Kruezer if for has the same output as a forward as griffo but is a better ruck. No trade involved. Griffo then becomes and asset in a trade. Say Kruezer and Redden in, griffo out. Big win !!!
4. Take a risk on attitude/behaviour. Forget about their personalities for a minute and realise that yarran and Bennell are elite. Get their heads right and their skill out ways the reduction in cost they would have now.

Graeme Richmond would achieve the following

In: Trelour or Prestia, Kruezer, yarran, redden
Out: 2015 and 2016 first rounders, griffo and conca/second rounder (Yarran)

B: vlaustin, rance, grimes
Chaplin, Astbury, Houli
C: McIntosh, Cotchin, B Ellis
R: Maric, Miles, Trelour
F: Martin, Riewoldt, Deledio
Edwards, Vickery, Yarran
bench: Kruezer, Redden, Hunt, C Ellis

emergency: Grigg, Batchelor, Lambert

The old GR may have done some of that, but this isn't the 60's and 70's when Barassi could use a loophole in a rule to go and buy North a Premiership. GR also presided over things like the Pitura trade, which was what started our decline.

GR. What a legend!
Truly one of a kind.
Remember when Ray Boyanich got towelled by Nicolls in the 72 grand final?
Boyanich never played for the club again, was marched straight out the door.

How many games would Chaplin get if GR was at the club?
He would have been marched out of the door pronto after last years elimination v Port.

What do you think he would have said to DImma after last years game round 4 v pies on a wet sodden night, when Dimma went 3 talls in the forward line?
Dimma said in that presser that he realised at half time we were top heavy in the forward line.
GR would have sacked Hardwick on the spot for such an elementary mistake not even an under 12's coach would make.

GR knew his football and wasn't afraid to act.
Two things that this club can't replicate now.
We don't have the back room Man with nous and authority anymore.
And boy is that obvious or what!

In this era of football he would send us down the toilet again. How do you think we went from a powerhouse who should have built a dynasty in the 80's to a broke and underachieving mess for the last 30 years!

taraba said:
In this era of football he would send us down the toilet again. How do you think we went from a powerhouse who should have built a dynasty in the 80's to a broke and underachieving mess for the last 30 years!

Ha ha. Your joking it was Ian Wilson.
In term of eras it doesn't matter. One thing GR could do was judge footballers better than most.
And that is something that we don't have at the club at present

asian tetley said:
GR. What a legend!
Truly one of a kind.
Remember when Ray Boyanich got towelled by Nicolls in the 72 grand final?
Boyanich never played for the club again, was marched straight out the door.

Cool story but not true.

Boyanich played 61 games in 3 seasons 70-72 then left the club and went to SA with an offer of a playing package and assistance in getting his teaching qualifications.

He returned to RFC in 1976 and played 6 more games.

asian tetley said:
Ha ha. Your joking it was Ian Wilson.
In term of eras it doesn't matter. One thing GR could do was judge footballers better than most.
And that is something that we don't have at the club at present
GR was certainly a legend but time has moved on since then. Too many teams and too few footballers to be "discovered". There is much more science now, but I do agree, we need to show a ruthless mindset and take some risks.
Probably the one criticism of the current administration is that we are risk averse. We should take a bit more risk at this stage of the list development.
The base is there. The cake is baked. We now need to add the cream and icing.
I, for one, think we are very, very close to the ultimate prize. I think this is why everyone is so disappointed after Sunday. We can see it. We can taste it.

He'd give the Fat one a touch up is what he'd do and Treloar would be handed straight over

tigertim said:
Cool story but not true.

Boyanich played 61 games in 3 seasons 70-72 then left the club and went to SA with an offer of a playing package and assistance in getting his teaching qualifications.

He returned to RFC in 1976 and played 6 more games.

Yeah your right.i stand corrected . He did return in 76.
I'll have to smarten up on my tiger history
Thanks for pointing that out

GR would have sacked Hardwick. Thats what he would have done.

And paid overs for has beens like Al Martello, Darryl Sutton, Geoff Ablett, Ross Brewer etc. etc.

GR would have not offered Hardwick that contract extension and sacked him after last years embarrassment against Port.

Perhaps GR would ruthlessly ensure everyone stick to a plan. Maybe he'd do now as he did then and read the terrain and have an entirely different approach.

Or maybe he'd be exactly the same and sack a Ratten to employ a Malthouse.

Boyanich was finished after 72, every Richmond supporter knew it.
Strangely enough, supporters in them days knew we could not hold Nichols with Boyanich, but there was no PRE.
GR getting rid of Hafey in 76, had a lot to do with 72 imo
It was ridiculous we lost that match in 72 after the second semi win, but Rex Hunt also played a game in the GF that rhymes with his name and wasn't too strong in the early minutes of 73 GF, until Laurie Fowler flattened Nicholls.
We were ruthless and lucky in 73 to even the score so quickly against Carlton. Wish we could amend for 82 now

G.RICHMOND would be turning in his grave this week.
He woould sell the farm and acquire at least KRUESER, one of REDDEN/AISH/TRALOAR and yarran.
He would not be scared to offer DANGER stupid money either.
I would think his mentality would make this list as that peanut said "LOCK n LOADED"
and with those additions if hardwick failed..then for 2017 I would asume MarK Williams and new coaching group will be installed.