What can our VFL kids do to get a game? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What can our VFL kids do to get a game?

Baloo said:
Arnott will be delisted at the end of the year

I think you are probably right but I don't like it. The kid has "General" written all over him. Loves to do the hard work and take hard contact and doesn't get injured. I think he will be gone, but I don't think we will have seen what he is really capable of. It will be the wrong decision when it happens.

Is this his 3rd or 4th year on the list. At some point you have to cut your losses and that's when that spot on the list can be used better.

The only other player that when through a similar path was Gourdis. Senior list, then rookies, then out, despite his fan club claiming he was as good as Rance.

He hasn't shown enough when he's had his chances.

Baloo said:
Is this his 3rd or 4th year on the list. At some point you have to cut your losses and that's when that spot on the list can be used better.

The only other player that when through a similar path was Gourdis. Senior list, then rookies, then out, despite his fan club claiming he was as good as Rance.

You are probably right. I've only seen him play VFL a few times but I loved the way he went about it. Played out of position without consistancy and subbed in the AFL makes it pretty hard to tell. Averaging 3x Morris' output when played but can't get a game? There is obviously something the coaches want from him that he isn't delivering. My soft spot for him is an intangible. I can't explain it. I will be diappointed when the inevitable happens. More so when the Saints pick him up and in his first game next year he crunches Cotchin and puts him out for 5 weeks.

Plenty of them have had games this year. Some of them have stepped up. Some have been injured, some of em havnt been up to it.

Looks like lennon is taking his chances. Hampson has been holding his spot. Lambert getting better. C Ellis look's like he will be a regular. McTosh has played every game hasn't he?

Who hasn't been played?

Baloo said:

Maybe we should keep him on the list for 1 more year, just to make sure he can't play ;)

lamb22 said:
That means Eddie Betts hardly ever kicks an AFL standard goal.

:headscratch I've seen Eddie take plenty of hangers lamby but that's beside the point, he's a small forward.
My point is unless Liam starts to take these type of marks at VFL level it's not going to get any easier in the AFL.
At 202cm he won't be able to survive on a game based predominantly at ground level. There will be many defenders much better below their knees. The matchup for him will be a strong bodied 3rd tall every time.
It's an important element in Liam's development that he makes an impact aerially.

Castagna and Short both on rookie list have both shown something this year especially Castagna. I like him as a player. Short is a small forward so a typr of player we need in the ones.

Butler played his first game for the year last week after being out with a knee - looked ok in the NAB game he played

McKenzie has played the year at VFL level and needs time but is a big unit and takes a good grab- needs to get more fitter but shows heaps of promise

Drummond played one AFL game and did his knee so hopefully can get over that and can become a good player at AFL level - has plenty of pace

Menadue & Cory Ellis have played a handful of games in the ones.

Cory Ellis looks all class but just seems to be getting injured a lot but will be very good player for club.

Menadue probably played his best VFL game last week and just to build up more to be competitive at AFL level but has potential

Lambert & McIntosh are other new players in the ones are both performing OK at that level

So all new players to the club this year are progressing good/OK but all need time.

Better than previous years when we drafted players from other clubs.

ryan said:
Castagna and Short both on rookie list have both shown something this year especially Castagna. I like him as a player. Short is a small forward so a typr of player we need in the ones.

Butler played his first game for the year last week after being out with a knee - looked ok in the NAB game he played

McKenzie has played the year at VFL level and needs time but is a big unit and takes a good grab- needs to get more fitter but shows heaps of promise

Drummond played one AFL game and did his knee so hopefully can get over that and can become a good player at AFL level - has plenty of pace

Menadue & Cory Ellis have played a handful of games in the ones.

Cory Ellis looks all class but just seems to be getting injured a lot but will be very good player for club.

Menadue probably played his best VFL game last week and just to build up more to be competitive at AFL level but has potential

Lambert & McIntosh are other new players in the ones are both performing OK at that level

So all new players to the club this year are progressing good/OK but all need time.

Better than previous years when we drafted players from other clubs.

Agree and the article in the age confirms that Richmond

* has debuted the second most players this year (behind suns (7)). Richmond, Doggies, Carlton, Melb have all debuted 6.
* have use the fifth most players of all clubs (36) behind Suns and Carlton both (40), Melb and Ess (both 37) together with Brisbane (36)

So to me the club is doing pretty well this year in giving the VFL players a go.

Tigers of Old said:
:headscratch I've seen Eddie take plenty of hangers lamby but that's beside the point, he's a small forward.
My point is unless Liam starts to take these type of marks at VFL level it's not going to get any easier in the AFL.
At 202cm he won't be able to survive on a game based predominantly at ground level. There will be many defenders much better below their knees. The matchup for him will be a strong bodied 3rd tall every time.
It's an important element in Liam's development that he makes an impact aerially.

I have no problem with your post Oldie. Beanie boosters acknowledge he will get better with some physical development.

Perhaps people should stop seeing him as a third tall and just see him as an effective forward.

And while he can get outbodied, his reach and agility still allows him to be a danger aerially in the right circumstances.

Perhaps the key point of difference I have with you is that you see Liam as someone who is good below his knees and has good goal sense FOR A TALL whereas I see those attributes as better than most AFL players. He has better goal nouse, ie an ability to sense where the goals are and manufacture a goal than Lennon or LLoyd or Short or Butler or even Edwards.

Plus he finds dangerous spots plus he is a beautiful set shot even from 50 plus,

I dont disagree that he not fully developed as a conventional third tall, in fact he is years away but he is more than ready as part of our best 4 forwards.

Check out his three snaps from the weekend and tell me which of our players could gave kicked them so effortlessly, two under some pressure. Only Jack for mine.

lamb22 said:
I have no problem with your post Oldie. Beanie boosters acknowledge he will get better with some physical development.

Perhaps people should stop seeing him as a third tall and just see him as an effective forward.

And while he can get outbodied, his reach and agility still allows him to be a danger aerially in the right circumstances.

Perhaps the key point of difference I have with you is that you see Liam as someone who is good below his knees and has good goal sense FOR A TALL whereas I see those attributes as better than most AFL players. He has better goal nouse, ie an ability to sense where the goals are and manufacture a goal than Lennon or LLoyd or Short or Butler or even Edwards.

Plus he finds dangerous spots plus he is a beautiful set shot even from 50 plus,

I dont disagree that he not fully developed as a conventional third tall, in fact he is years away but he is more than ready as part of our best 4 forwards.

Check out his three snaps from the weekend and tell me which of our players could gave kicked them so effortlessly, two under some pressure. Only Jack for mine.

He certainly has a good goal sense and no doubt has talent lamby. Particularly kicks a beautiful snap.
FWIW I'd be playing him. We need smarter footballers in our team.
I'm just tapering my expectations and hope he excedes them.