What can our VFL kids do to get a game? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

What can our VFL kids do to get a game?

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
1. Arnott - looks like the bloke in Sons of Anarchy. Park the hog in Dimma's car spot with a note to contact the Bandidos if he has any problems.

2. Madonna - Wear one of those superman suits with abs and shoulders under the training gear. Swap Menulog subscription for light and easy.

3. Beanie. This is a tricky one because despite being a head taller than nearly everyone else Clarke and Handbrake don't seem to notice him. Actually as they are loking at his navel they probably don't know what he looks like. Needs a multi pronged attack. (a) Go the blond rinse but leave the dark beard , ala the full Javier Bardem in Skyfall (b) A tattoo on the inside forearm with some ancient wisdom like " Dunna tell me I dunna kick AFL standard goals, Nancy Boy" and (c) Eccentric forwards need eccentric names. I'd go the Lumumba/Lake route but with a hypen. How about Liam Angus Burger Mctavish-Mcbean.

Any other suggestions welcome

Arnot isn't up to it. That has been proven ad nauseum.

McDonough is carrying a spare tire, and that hinders him greatly at AFL.

McBean should get a chance ahead of Griff imo.

St Kevin said:
Arnot isn't up to it. That has been proven ad nauseum.
You know I would have agreed with you a month ago but his work on Saturday and recently before that was very impressive. He still is a physical presence bu much more controlled and he now looks for the first give by hand more often. 33 possessions on Saturday and for the most part very effective and surprisingly very controlled.

He has played back pocket half back for a few weeks prior and it might have induced some discipline into his game.

Not saying he will make it but if he plays like he did on Saturday he has something to offer.

Arnott isnt up to it...
McDonough isnt fit enough and needs a big pre-season.
McBean wont be ready until 2016.

I don't know why peope say Arnot isnt up to it. How can we tell, he doesnt get much of a chance! 9 games over 3 seasons, limited game time. First to get dropped whilst others get dream runs. I know he,ll probably get the chop at seasons end but I do feel for him.

tigertim said:
I don't know why peope say Arnot isnt up to it. How can we tell, he doesnt get much of a chance! 9 games over 3 seasons, limited game time. First to get dropped whilst others get dream runs. I know he,ll probably get the chop at seasons end but I do feel for him.

Maybe, but has Arnot ever played a game the equivalent of what Lambert played against the Dockers in the 1s?

Bunnerz said:
Arnott isnt up to it...
McDonough isnt fit enough and needs a big pre-season.
McBean wont be ready until 2016.

Beanie was born ready.

It's Handbrake that aint ready.

I am also assuming you are a big VFL watcher by those definitive statements!

St Kevin said:
Maybe, but has Arnot ever played a game the equivalent of what Lambert played against the Dockers in the 1s?

Has he ever played a significant time in midfield in the firsts.

I rate Lambert higher than Matt but lets remember that Lambert was written off after about 6 uneventful quarters as a dud by the geniui on here.

FWIW Arnott was very good Saturday in a very un-Arnot way.

tigertim said:

I agree Tigertim.

When playing in the seniors, he's been played HFF/FP and that's not where his strength lies. He's an inside mid. Plain and simple.

lamb22 said:
Has he ever played a significant time in midfield in the firsts.

I rate Lambert higher than Matt but lets remember that Lambert was written off after about 6 uneventful quarters as a dud by the geniui on here.

FWIW Arnott was very good Saturday in a very un-Arnot way.

You've answered your own question. Arnot isn't good enough to play midfield in the 1s, thus has never played a lot of time there. Whenever he's had stints on the ball at AFL level he's looked slow and lethargic.

Arnot has played up a bit forward in the 1s and given the dog's breakfast that is our small forward brigade he STILL couldn't get a game there.

And those writing off Lambert were the typical of the shortsightedness that sometimes (often) kneejerks its way across PRE; most realised that he'd been rushed back from a serious injury and would need some time to get match ready. He also displayed far more ballwinning ability after taking off the green vest than Arnot ever has.

St Kevin said:
You've answered your own question. Arnot isn't good enough to play midfield in the 1s, thus has never played a lot of time there. Whenever he's had stints on the ball at AFL level he's looked slow and lethargic.

Arnot has played up a bit forward in the 1s and given the dog's breakfast that is our small forward brigade he STILL couldn't get a game there.

And those writing off Lambert were the typical of the shortsightedness that sometimes (often) kneejerks its way across PRE; most realised that he'd been rushed back from a serious injury and would need some time to get match ready. He also displayed far more ballwinning ability after taking off the green vest than Arnot ever has.

Arnott has kicked 5 goals 5 in the firsts from 9 games (more like 5 as he has been sub or subbed a fair bit). Presently averages 10 possessions a game. yep he's been in the system a while but hasn't disgraced himself at all.

Corey is going at 8 possessions a game and Menadue 5 possesions a game. Each have played 6 games but again a lot of subbing involved.

And dont compare Lambert to Arnot. Lambert had always been a pure mid and it was a question of how he translated his form to AfL level. Pretty well it seems.

Arnot is a role player but in recent weeks he has shown a more expansive game. If he keeps up his form I wouldn't mind seeing him as the defensive forward or in Hunt's or Houli's role.

lamb22 said:
Arnott has kicked 5 goals 5 in the firsts from 9 games (more like 5 as he has been sub or subbed a fair bit). Presently averages 10 possessions a game. yep he's been in the system a while but hasn't disgraced himself at all.

Corey is going at 8 possessions a game and Menadue 5 possesions a game. Each have played 6 games but again a lot of subbing involved.

And dont compare Lambert to Arnot. Lambert had always been a pure mid and it was a question of how he translated his form to AfL level. Pretty well it seems.

Arnot is a role player but in recent weeks he has shown a more expansive game. If he keeps up his form I wouldn't mind seeing him as the defensive forward or in Hunt's or Houli's role.

Corey and Menadue have visible scope for improvement and are in their first year on the list. Comparing them to Arnot is ridiculous. Completely different stages of their development.

Lambert has also played up forward funnily enough. The Freo game was his first true foray as a midfielder.

tigertim said:
agree hasent had a decent crackj at it

lamb22 said:
1. Arnott - looks like the bloke in Sons of Anarchy. Park the hog in Dimma's car spot with a note to contact the Bandidos if he has any problems.

2. Madonna - Wear one of those superman suits with abs and shoulders under the training gear. Swap Menulog subscription for light and easy..

Any other suggestions welcome

Nice work Lamby but you got Madonna and Arnott confused.

Madonna = Hog
Arnott =muscles like Superman, plays like Lois Lane.

FitenFitenWin said:
These guys need to bid on Morris' photo collection. Split them up between them. :angel:

Now that's the sort of suggestion I was fishing for.

antman said:
Nice work Lamby but you got Madonna and Arnott confused.

Madonna = Hog
Arnott =muscles like Superman, plays like Lois Lane.

I would have gone Little Lotta for Arnott rather than Lois Lane but we still get the same illiterative effect.