West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition....... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

West Coast has won 524 more free kicks than its opposition.......

nitrotiger

" lets play like the tigers of old ! "
Sep 9, 2005
Noble Park North Melbourne
At Paterson,s stadium......Hmmmm ..... havent seen enough eagles footy but this is in sync with what other PREnders have been talking about.....Im hangin out to hear your opinions.....

Nothing to do with ducking for high tackles says Humphrey - git - Smith.

So what could it be?

Hmmmmm.

Emotions perhaps?

:hihi

WA umpires are used at Pattersons Stadium.

Hmmmm.

smasha said:
WA umpires are used at Pattersons Stadium.

Hmmmm.

Nah, it isn't that.

Dimma asked the A-League about that, and apparently all those Glory fans who reckoned the Roar won because a Qld ref was in charge of the A-League final were out of line.

I went there last year. The crowd puts a lot of pressure on the umps to go their way in "grey area" type decisions.

YinnarTiger said:
I went there last year. The crowd puts a lot of pressure on the umps to go their way in "grey area" type decisions.

Our supporters do too but do you see us getting all those free kicks?

Nup. :pullhair

Were was this stat released?

I'd like to see how other interstate teams faired. (Especially douring the Bris, Syd, West C & Port winning years).

To be honest I wasn't surprised.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I do remember that game and recall West Coast dominating the game despite the close margin, Johnson got taken to the cleaners that day and was getting frustrated, a lot of the Tigers tackles weren't sticking and West Coast were allowed to dispose of the ball too easily where as I remember too often Richmond players were taking on the tackler and getting caught, it's funny though, up til last year, West Coast have always had pretty ordinary run with umpiring but the last year and a bit, have done well and now it's a issue, one of the scribes on the AFL website has said "Maybe it's cause they go in first for the ball", I'd have to agree with him there, that doesn't mean though, there aren't some dodgey decisions or non decisions but I can't understand why it's a issue just because certain teams have had it too good for too long and just expect to be given a easy ride from the umpires!

They are the west coast duckers after all! They have perfected "the selwood " to perfection! As soon as that practice isn't rewarded with a free the better!

arlobill said:
They are the west coast duckers after all! They have perfected "the selwood " to perfection! As soon as that practice isn't rewarded with a free the better!
They will still get more frees though, just from getting the ball first, North Melbournes tackling was clumsy on the weekend, plain and simple, had West Coast kicked straighter, the margin would have been over 1- goals, yet Scott wanted to complain about the umpiring, sounded like shifting focus to me!

Tigermad2005 said:
You get to the ball first you get the frees.

actually, in some cases you get the ball first and you get cited to the MRP, get a suspension, appeal and then get off.

evo said:
Go the ducks.

The West Coast Mighty Ducks! That has a nice ring to it.

Luckily, the AFL has a Mascot Syllable Exchange Program that sees the Tigers become the Tiges, while the Saints and Hawks become the Sainters and the Hawkers.

Go the Duckers!!!!!!!!

Freo fans might object though.

"The Eagles have 52 more free kicks than their opponents this season, with midfielder Luke Shuey and small forward Ashton Hams being awarded the most frees for head-high contact." This the quote from the Age article. Not 524 which would be extraordinary.

Also I posted this in the "Journos" thread on the same subject:
KnightersRevenge said:
This has moved on from the "Selwood shrugg". It is now much easier to adjudicate if the umps just catch up with the current trend. The Eagles are now using a one-arm technique. I saw a couple of them do it repeatedly in our game. As the tackler approaches they ready the arm nearest to the tackler. When the tackler makes body contact they launch their arm skyward, like pulling on a jumper, and this pushes the tackler's arm over the shoulder. It is not a genuine head-high shot in my opinion. If the ump sees the the tackled player's arm lift up during the tackle, and it is pretty obvious, then they should say bad luck you lifted your arm.

I don't think this trend needs to be addressed by either a change of rules, or a change in umpiring.
Simply because it is only a trend.

Tacklers will adapt to the tacklee lifting up an arm, by tackling them lower, or around the hips. Granted, this means that the player being tackled is more easily able to release the ball, but i don't really think that's a bad thing. It would add to a more free flowing game. If the tackler chooses to try and pin the arms in a tackle, and doesn't have the technique to avoid getting pushed above the shoulders, then they run the risk of giving away a free kick.

The thing that I think is more interesting, is that these players getting themselves into a position to be tackled high, are conceding a posession. If the tackle doesn't slip, and they get put into the ground, they're going to get holding the ball against them. Once players adapt to a better tackling technique, you will see more of the Hams and the Selwoods simply getting grounded with ball in hand.

Let them perfect getting slammed in a tackle. Let Dustin Martin perfect breaking them.