Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

I don't disagree with the criticism above, and I lean toward being a skeptic, but thought he was better today. He knows where to go and how to get it, and he improved as the game went on. He seems to think his skill level is better than it is. So many of his dinky passes and slick handballs miss the mark or are smothered, so many smothers in the first half today, which says to me he's hasn't adjusted to the level.
Yep. Reckon the Sonz played his best game of footy for the year today, unfortunately he tries to play pretty footy and it's fairly useless above under 18s level. Just gotta keep playing him all year n then I wish like hell that clubs still did those old commando type training camps n we could shove him into one over summer, maybe just put a couple of rough edges n a hint of F / U attitude into his game.

There’s just not noticeable improvements.

I had huge hopes, it’s really disappointing.

Reactions: 1 users
And deservedly so, he still needs to work at it though

Due to work and travel i havent seen all games this year but Hugo has improved his attack on the ball/player enormously from 2 years ago.

I was thinking during the game that these two should be paired up, as if it doesnt click for Sonsie then theres no place on a list for players that dont go when its their turn imo.

Besides the obvious mentioned above , the Sonz appears to be one who avoids getting to the contest at all , can’t sheep dog it if your not there .

I still see a role for him if he builds a massive tank ( Sidebottom) should be his role model , though he simply has to get more competitive at the ball

See him having a good VFL career
Probably stand a lone club like Frankston or Port
Obvious point I see refuses to chase opponents when we haven’t got the ball
Staggering to watch players jog behind there opponents in 3rd quarter yesterday
Seriously !!!

Reactions: 4 users
I’m still unsure of Sonsie.
I should have mentioned him in the match day thread
75% game time. 5 contested disposals, 10 uncontested disposals, DE 43.8% total of 7 effective disposals, 6 turnovers, zero tackles, 4 marks, 1 goal.
Played 21 games. Will / has the penny dropped? Is this his measure?
3 of those efficient disposals were dinky handballs in a short period well into the last quarter. 2 efficient disposals out of 10 into the last quarter. He was woeful. And that's ok to have bad games as a youngster IF you try and make up for it defensively. Running besides or sometimes away from your opponent who has the ball is not acceptable at any level of footy. Needs to be dropped until the attitude can be changed.

Reactions: 1 user
Was a very poor pick by Clarke and Blair. Has (and had) fundamental gaps in his game that make it very hard for him to influence games at AFL level.

Bad recruiting like this (and the 21' draft as a whole) hurts big time.

Last edited:
What has happened to his skills? He has always been a bit shy in attacking the contest but when he got the ball he used to at least use it pretty well. He was going at 40-odd% effective yesterday and make some howlers going inside 50.

It seems poor disposal is infectious in poor performing teams. It's horrible how nearly all our players skills have deteriorated this year.

He needs about 5 preseasons like he did at the start of the year if he's going to improve.
I don't think his tank is anywhere near where it should be & honestly I think his poor workrate is the main reason he is not getting snr midfield opportunities.
I watch him closely when he was on the wing yesterday & he doesn't push himself hard enough to make contests. He cruises.
When he does get there he has some influence but he's got to play as if his life depends on it & I don't think he does.

Reactions: 2 users