Welcome Tyler Sonsie | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Tyler Sonsie

I’m still unsure of Sonsie.
I should have mentioned him in the match day thread
75% game time. 5 contested disposals, 10 uncontested disposals, DE 43.8% total of 7 effective disposals, 6 turnovers, zero tackles, 4 marks, 1 goal.
Played 21 games. Will / has the penny dropped? Is this his measure?

Reactions: 1 user
Padded his disposal efficiency with a few short handballs in the last. Going into the last quarter he'd had 10 disposals, 5 turnovers, 2 effective disposals, 20% efficiency, zero tackles. Terrible terrible game. Funniest part is both Lingy and Bwyan saying in the last quarter that he'd had a great game. Has to be dropped like Dow. No defensive effort, no play.

The only way I'd keep him at this stage is predicting if he'll have boys and how good they'llbe. If any good let's get him to 100 games.
Zero physicality. Won’t last much longer if mids don’t get injured and Prestia comes back

For those of us who had high hopes when he was drafted, it’s time to acknowledge that he’s becoming a real worry.

Shirked it badly a couple of times today, doesn’t like the physicality of the game, is a poor runner (very slow), and most disappointingly, his foot skills just aren’t anything many of us thought they were.

He’ll probably go around next year, but gee, he’s gonna want to improve a lot to have a longer career.

Reactions: 10 users
I don't disagree with the criticism above, and I lean toward being a skeptic, but thought he was better today. He knows where to go and how to get it, and he improved as the game went on. He seems to think his skill level is better than it is. So many of his dinky passes and slick handballs miss the mark or are smothered, so many smothers in the first half today, which says to me he's hasn't adjusted to the level.

Reactions: 1 user
Some of his kick are woeful.
Reminds me of some of our players in the bad old days. 1 kick in 4 hits a target.

I don't disagree with the criticism above, and I lean toward being a skeptic, but thought he was better today. He knows where to go and how to get it, and he improved as the game went on. He seems to think his skill level is better than it is. So many of his dinky passes and slick handballs miss the mark or are smothered, so many smothers in the first half today, which says to me he's hasn't adjusted to the level.
First half deplorable second half much better

He's the most frustrating footballer in our team at the moment, and there are several others that i find very frustrating too, Bolton, and Graham to name a couple of others.

There were several moments in the last 2 games when I've said to myself "C'mon Sonsie, go!" as it was his turn to put his body on the line, and each time he shirked it.

Hard to believe that this guy was ever touted as a top 5 pick, he was picked at about the right position for his abilities. I don't have much hope for him.

Reactions: 1 users
He reminds me of Hugo 2 seasons ago… I reckon Hugo has got a lot better with his contest as his body has got stronger… I hope Sonsie will be the same when he gets some more muscle on him… I’d persist… as better skills than Hugo… so still upside.

Reactions: 1 users
Would happily see him played for the rest of the season. Shows glimpses, perhaps it’s confidence holding him back.

Applies to a few others as well. This is a great chance to look at some of these guys as pick one or two is in the bag.

Yeah I’ve been saying the same as well, but geez, regardless there’s some really concerning gaps in his game.
Its the effort and follow up efforts and intent and defensive response, there seems no grit or graft in him..

If Kane Lambert can get through to him and hes the best there was at it its not ideal.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m starting to think that he’s one of those players that ‘looks like a player’, but then doesn’t end up becoming one.

Currently he’s masquerading as a player.

We’ve seen the odd slick handball and nice kick, but not the will to win that AFL demands.

And all of his contested work comes across as so unnatural and has only improved marginally to this point.

People state that we are not playing him as a mid, but I don’t see the attack on the ball that you want from a mid.

He’s not quick, or strong or seemingly hungry.

Was he picked because of his excellent ball use? If so, you still have to get it; you still have to compete.

Given the ferocious Richmond DNA that the club had 17-20 I’m now unsure what the selectors were seeing, or what their plan was for him.

Reactions: 3 users
He reminds me of Hugo 2 seasons ago… I reckon Hugo has got a lot better with his contest as his body has got stronger… I hope Sonsie will be the same when he gets some more muscle on him… I’d persist… as better skills than Hugo… so still upside.
Hugos hardness was never in question. This is Sonsies main weakness.