Was Dimma already prepared for a loss? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Was Dimma already prepared for a loss?

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
yes/yes/no

Really? I'm taking crazy pills I guess. Without King Kong on our back we can beat anyone. Would have massacred Sydney next week, KK would have been gone

I must have been at a different game yesterday. Yeah, we lost and I am gutted too.

Nonetheless, it was a high quality game, one of the better games I have seen this year. We were in it up to the end and the result could easily have been different with a modicum of luck. Unfortunately, there were eight very good teams in the finals this year-someone was always going to miss out and none deserved to be out after one round.

Stuff happens. Losing is frustrating but sometimes it disguises what is really happening, just like winning does. We are closer to winning a final than a lot of other teams are.

We need to keep recruiting well though. It is more than just needing to replace a handful of players. We need to develop depth so we can get our match ups right against any opponent. That is what beat us yesterday.

tigersnake said:
Really? I'm taking crazy pills I guess. Without King Kong on our back we can beat anyone. Would have massacred Sydney next week, KK would have been gone
you underestimate North. Old and experienced and unfortunately better. And you over rate us.

23.21.159 said:
OK.

There has been alot of mis-information about what sort of finals West Coast lost three times in a row, when they then won the premiership, and how many.

Time for some facts.

2001 : Finished 14th.
2002 : Finished 8th. Lost an Elimination Final to Essendon at Etihad by 33 points.
2003 : Finished 7th. Lost an Elimination Final to Adelaide in Adelaide by 56 points.
2004 : Finished 7th. Lost an Elimination Final to Sydney in Sydney by 41 points.

Contrary to popular belief, they did NOT win the next year's premiership .....

2005 : Lost the GF to Sydney by 4 points.

But it was the year after .....

2006 : Beat Sydney in the GF by one point.

Note in contrast to us, they finished 7th/8th and so all of their Elimination Finals were away and the scores suggest they were never really in the hunt in any of the games (although scores were level at half time in the 2002 game).
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that we finished 5th in 2013 and 2015 and, I believe, player for player, we had a better list on both occasions.
We lost both due to mental issues/finals hardness, etc.

We were also a bit stiff, both times, that the team finishing 7th was an interstate team.
I've stated elsewhere that it would be a significant improvement to the current system if 5th could chose their opponent out of 7th and 8th.
Having said that, 7th beat 6th (away and interstate) in both years.
thanks 23

yandb said:
I note in the Herald Sun an article that in his post match bake of the players Dimma mentions that West Coast lost 3 preliminary finals in a row and went on to win the next GF.

This a very obscure fact and the fact that Dimma was ready immediately after the match with this stat and able to spin it in his post match address makes you wonder how confident he was of winning.

You need to see a psychiatrist my friend.

jb03 said:
you underestimate North. Old and experienced and unfortunately better. And you over rate us.

I don't reckon. We lost it between the ears. We must played scared and dumb footy. Coaches, players, the lot. Lead in our boots. No leadership. North played well, but nothing awesome. The fact we were so close in spite of being so far off our game is amazing. Just watched Harvey kick one of his goals, had an acre at the back of the pack with the game on the line, Harvey!. That is not us. If we'd played well we would have won.

(North don't have any baggage, lucky for them, not many people care much what they do.)

tigersnake said:
I don't reckon. We lost it between the ears. We must played scared and dumb footy. Coaches, players, the lot. Lead in our boots. No leadership. North played well, but nothing awesome. The fact we were so close in spite of being so far off our game is amazing. Just watched Harvey kick one of his goals, had an acre at the back of the pack with the game on the line, Harvey!. That is not us. If we'd played well we would have won.

(North don't have any baggage, lucky for them, not many people care much what they do.)
t I think you are saying North are better but are having trouble accepting it.

yandb said:
I note in the Herald Sun an article that in his post match bake of the players Dimma mentions that West Coast lost 3 preliminary finals in a row and went on to win the next GF.

This a very obscure fact and the fact that Dimma was ready immediately after the match with this stat and able to spin it in his post match address makes you wonder how confident he was of winning.
And I assume there's previous occasions where a club has lost 3 finals and disappeared into oblivion.

jb03 said:
t I think you are saying North are better but are having trouble accepting it.

I honestly don't think they are. They're solid, they played well, they were coached well. We choked, coaches and players. If the fact we choked means they are better, yes, they're better.

The team they put out on the park was better.

We had boys in red hot form. Lennon and Lloyd.

Replaced by lame ducks.

Two blokes like that is more than 15 points difference.

Carter said:

Replaced by lame ducks.

red hot is an overstatement. Would Lids and Cotch and Shed have played well?

Carter said:

red hot? nah. luke warm maybe. but worth the risk over Griff and Conks purely based on the fact they had been playing.

Carter said:

Replaced by lame ducks.

Can't possibly say that's where it was lost. Pure fantasy Carts.

Carter said:

Replaced by lame ducks.

No they arent. They play forward of the ball. Wouldnt have changed the fact our ball winners couldnt find the ball.

We were lucky we didnt get done by 10 goals. Beaten hands down all over the park. In a final. Again.

Considering that neither Conca or Griffiths played a full game I can't say that's where it was lost. Picking them was a mistake, but I don't know that Lennon and Lloyd would have made much of a difference. One would have been the sub (probably Lloyd), and neither had impacted the scoreboard leading up to the final. The blame lies with Hardwick's coaching (he got his matches wrong and refused to deviate even when things clearly weren't working out) and the failure of the players as a group to deliver the same sort of football they had for much of the year when it counted, as they have done before and will no doubt do repeatedly in the future.

Carter said:

Replaced by lame ducks.

The blokes who were down were 3-4 of our best 6. That's where we lost it. We can't blame the bottom 6 because they were ok. Most of our guns did not fire a shot.