Was Dimma already prepared for a loss? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Was Dimma already prepared for a loss?

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
I note in the Herald Sun an article that in his post match bake of the players Dimma mentions that West Coast lost 3 preliminary finals in a row and went on to win the next GF.

This a very obscure fact and the fact that Dimma was ready immediately after the match with this stat and able to spin it in his post match address makes you wonder how confident he was of winning.

Sounds more a reaction to the talk around that we'd lost 2 already and needed to win this one imo. Hard to know without any context to the comment but I doubt he was expecting to lose.

He has already used this observation once before, after last years debacle he made reference to WC.

What do you expect him to say ? All is lost we are never going to win one ?

It's a coach's job to pick the players and the club up again, pointing out what has been done before is just one way of achieving that

Plenty of things to complain about but this is not one of them imo

I wasn't aware of that.

If you have used that point previously it loses its effectiveness if you repeat it 12 months later.

BrisTiger24 said:
Big difference from losing 3 prelims to losing 3 eliminations.

West coast lost 3 elimination finals don't think it was prelim

I could not give a stuff about what West Coast did umpteen years ago.
He also spun that if we played a basketball type series we'd have beaten North next week.
Sorry Damien I seriously doubt we would have.
You wear this loss. You.

Yep ToO. We can come up with all the would haves and could haves and should haves and airs of superiority and speculation and hypothetical scenarios we like but there's only one fact. We lost when it counted.

Tigers of Old said:
I could not give a stuff about what West Coast did umpteen years ago.
He also spun that if we played a basketball type series we'd have beaten North next week.
Sorry Damien I seriously doubt we would have.
You wear this loss. You.

When have we ever beaten North? We struggle against their reserves.

He's bloody deluded, Oldster.

In hindsight he should have rolled the dice in the last round and rest a few keys players.

Ah-well, we've got next year.

Had probably done his homework after last year, looking up other sides who'd failed before succeeding.

The coach and players can say anything they like, but they'll be drowned out by results.

tiges said:
West coast lost 3 elimination finals don't think it was prelim
Didn't they also get Malthouse after that and he took them to a flag? Probably not the best example to use if Damien wants to keep his job, could put ideas in people'e heads. This bloke can't do it, who is young and hungry and shown that they can do good things with poor sides?

CarnTheTiges said:
Didn't they also get Malthouse after that and he took them to a flag? Probably not the best example to use if Damien wants to keep his job, could put ideas in people'e heads. This bloke can't do it, who is young and hungry and shown that they can do good things with poor sides?

Weren't they after Malthouse won those flags?

OK.

There has been alot of mis-information about what sort of finals West Coast lost three times in a row, when they then won the premiership, and how many.

Time for some facts.

2001 : Finished 14th.
2002 : Finished 8th. Lost an Elimination Final to Essendon at Etihad by 33 points.
2003 : Finished 7th. Lost an Elimination Final to Adelaide in Adelaide by 56 points.
2004 : Finished 7th. Lost an Elimination Final to Sydney in Sydney by 41 points.

Contrary to popular belief, they did NOT win the next year's premiership .....

2005 : Lost the GF to Sydney by 4 points.

But it was the year after .....

2006 : Beat Sydney in the GF by one point.

Note in contrast to us, they finished 7th/8th and so all of their Elimination Finals were away and the scores suggest they were never really in the hunt in any of the games (although scores were level at half time in the 2002 game).
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that we finished 5th in 2013 and 2015 and, I believe, player for player, we had a better list on both occasions.
We lost both due to mental issues/finals hardness, etc.

We were also a bit stiff, both times, that the team finishing 7th was an interstate team.
I've stated elsewhere that it would be a significant improvement to the current system if 5th could chose their opponent out of 7th and 8th.
Having said that, 7th beat 6th (away and interstate) in both years.

I don't buy the we are north's bunnies line. North are mediocre, I reckon they were the easiest opponent we could have struck. You reckon we would have beaten Adelaide yesterday? Footscray? Hawthorn? Nope. We got stage fright. Its in the head. We didn't run, our backline fell over all day. We play our best yesterday, pressure and take the game on, we win. Not even our best, near our best. We were nowhere near it. We were nowhere.