Waiting for Richmond youngster to get 30+ disposals | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Waiting for Richmond youngster to get 30+ disposals

Sep 2, 2022
The only way we’ll see progress now is for a young player/s to get 30+ disposals.
When was the last time we had a player under 23 years of age get over 30 disposals in a game?

Reactions: 1 users
The only way we’ll see progress now is for a young player/s to get 30+ disposals.
When was the last time we had a player under 23 years of age get over 30 disposals in a game?
I could be wrong, but I believe Dusty back in Round 10 2014 (36 vs Giants) was the last <23yo to reach the mark. Quite incredible if so.

Edit: Brandon Ellis in 2016 actually would have been more recent. Few and far between though.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Kane Mc is capable of doing it by 23. ATM I can’t see anyone else getting near it.

Reactions: 1 user
Worst group of youngsters in the Comp by a Rupanyup mile. Take that to the State Bank!

Bolton very close when under 23yo. Had 29 disposals 4 times.
Graham had 36 disposals a few years back. Regardless, 7 years since we drafted a player that topped 30 disposals, probably same since we’ve drafted someone who topped 25!

Geez, we need a royal commission into our recruiting from 2018-2022.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Graham had 36 disposals a few years back. Regardless, 7 years since we drafted a player that topped 30 disposals, probably same since we’ve drafted someone who topped 25!

Geez, we need a royal commission into our recruiting from 2018-2022.
Most of the 30+ capable midfielders are selected high in the national draft so it's not that surprising. This year's younger top disposal winners; Flanders, Daicos, Serong, Walsh, Andersen, Sheezel, latest was Pick #11.

We traded most of our draft picks in last 4 years but few were high anyway. Likelihood of getting a gun midfielder, low.

Last edited:
Current <23yos and their highest disposal counts:

Dow - 27
Ralphsmith - 21
Blight - 13
Bauer - 9
Trezise - 17
M Rioli - 17
Sonsie - 20
Banks - 18
Gibcus - 18
Brown - 18
Clarke - 20
Green - 11
Smith - 3
Campbell - 18
McAuliffe - 20

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Not just the youngsters, but we haven't had a player that consistently racks up possessions for a while. It's probably mainly due to our recent game plan but when looking at the stat sheet we rarely have players that top the stats.

Current <23yos and their highest disposal counts:

Dow - 27
Ralphsmith - 21
Blight - 13
Bauer - 9
Trezise - 17
M Rioli - 17
Sonsie - 20
Banks - 18
Gibcus - 18
Brown - 18
Clarke - 20
Green - 11
Smith - 3
Campbell - 18
McAuliffe - 20
When you look at that list the truth is that only 2 of them ( maybe only one) has actually played as a fulltime mid in a game. It is very unusual for a winger to get 30+ these days.

Dow has played fulltime mid and I think Mcauliffe did once. Sonsie has at best played a half.

That is of course also a commentary on the type of player we have drafted but even if they were all in the team very few of them play in a position to get very high possession levels

30 touches is a very good indicator of a breakout game by a youngster. As TL points out Shai had 29 several times so that's near enough, I guess.

We'll draft a player this year or next who does it.

Reactions: 2 users