Unions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Unions

Something to be said for collective ownership and going for win-win outcomes vs it all being win-lose.

Spent a long time at Altona refinery and some really clever stuff got done there along with some strong local union leadership that neutralised the dickheads and made a lot of win-win stuff. We had union folk getting different pay based on performance towards the end. Good performance got rewarded and poor performers still got paid plenty. (~5% from memory)

Only union issue I can remember was when everyone was meant to get some pizza during a large maintenance event and a few folks missed out on a slice so the whole workforce put down tools for a few days. That kind of bs is just a joke and can put the whole asset out of business and kill everyone’s jobs. Like a 50m penalty for giving the ump a pissed off look. The operators union was super pissed off at the union that got brought in for the maintenance.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Something to be said for collective ownership and going for win-win outcomes vs it all being win-lose.

Spent a long time at Altona refinery and some really clever stuff got done there along with some strong local union leadership that neutralised the dickheads and made a lot of win-win stuff. We had union folk getting different pay based on performance towards the end. Good performance got rewarded and poor performers still got paid plenty. (~5% from memory)

Only union issue I can remember was when everyone was meant to get some pizza during a large maintenance event and a few folks missed out on a slice so the whole workforce put down tools for a few days. That kind of bs is just a joke and can put the whole asset out of business and kill everyone’s jobs. Like a 50m penalty for giving the ump a pissed off look. The operators union was super pissed off at the union that got brought in for the maintenance.
I have an example of your second part. Worked in tax and had a client doing work at Fed Square, waterproofing wet areas. Site got shut down for hours becuase one of the many shitters there did not have toilet paper.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
i'm happy for abbott to have a royal commision into union corruption as long as there is also a royal commision into big business corruption. afterall, whats good for the geese is good for the gander. unions are far from perfect, but they're no less corrupt than big business.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for every corrupt union official, there are 100 corrupt businessmen.

I'm not defender of the CFMEU and i don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone that they are connected. but for the sake of balance, lets see 60 minutes do an expose on dodgy builders in Australia. Dodgy builds and taking short cuts are rife and building inspectors are useless.

• Love
Why the Albanese Government’s condemnation of the CFMEU is entirely unbelievable
16 Jul, 2024

The condemnation was breathless. Lots of huffing and puffing.

From the relative safety of an ABC studio, Employment Minister Tony Burke couldn’t spew out the superlatives fast enough to show the level of his outrage.
The office thesaurus clearly had a rough morning.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Apparently, the extensive criminality and corruption allegedly undertaken by militant union the CFMEU, which was splashed across the weekend newspapers, was “absolutely abhorrent”.

It was “criminal” and “illegal”. And the “thuggery” and “bullying” by Australia’s most notorious union was “completely unacceptable”.

It was so “outrageous” that Burke got in his car — true story — drove straight to his office, and “signed” a strongly worded letter to the secretary of his department, “asking for advice”.

That will teach them.

The pen is mightier than the sword, after all. Especially when you’re dealing with bikie gangs, mobsters and stand-over men. Beware the prose of a man keen to prove his fury.
If he hadn’t fallen on his sword on Friday, CFMEU poster boy John Setka would have been trembling in his Steel Blues.

He’s a funny bloke, that Tony Burke. Bit of a talker.

So what else was he going to do to fix this crisis?
“I want to make clear — everything is on the table,’’ the Employment Minister told the ABC.
Exactly what? Well, he hasn’t got a reply to his letter yet. But just you wait.
Ironically, unions have heard those words from Burke before. But they have a different meaning now.
Spare us your false indignation.

The Albanese Government’s condemnation of the CFMEU is entirely unbelievable. It’s laughable.
How outrageous that the unions would become a law unto themselves, says he who sacked the workplace umpire, constrained regulatory powers, filled union bank accounts, and gave them unprecedented powers.
Burke’s condemnation is little more than a lament. Not at Labor’s own culpability in creating this Frankenstein’s monster of the union movement.

But at the diminished financial returns his party will receive from the union that had an annual tax free net income of $160 million last financial year.

That income is now so tainted that not even the Labor party will touch it. For a few weeks, at least. Eventually, they’ll need it.
Unions like the CFMEU largely underwrote Labor’s 2022 election victory, giving the party $16 million in direct donations and spending a further $21 million campaigning for Labor.

That funding is set to be dwarfed by the union spending in the upcoming campaign. Call it payback.

Since coming into office, the Albanese Government has systematically gone through the Australian Council of Trade Union’s wish list and ticked off the items one by one.

It abolished the Australian Building Construction Commission that was keeping union criminality in check.
It gave union officials unfettered access to work sites across the country.
It introduced draconian Same Job, Same Pay laws that forced employers to pay staff the same, no matter what level of experience, age or qualification.
It extended union delegate powers to give officials more holidays, travel and office space, paid for by businesses. It put such onerous conditions on casual employment it effectively rendered such employment too risky or costly for employers.

< Breathe in >

And it gave unions the ability to rip millions from taxpayers and businesses under the guise of funding training programs.
The latter is the continuation of a merry-go-round of funds when Labor governments are in power — Labor funding itself from pockets of taxpayers and the tills of businesses, via the bank accounts of unions. It’s the left’s own version of trickle-down economics.

For example, the Victorian CFMEU pattern enterprise agreement requires businesses to pay $10,000 per worker, per year, straight to a CFMEU-controlled fund for unspecified training, of which it creams off massive kickbacks for itself.
John Setka once boasted that the union had these “pots of gold” in order to pay all the fines it incurred for all the laws it broke.

The most recent changes to IR laws give other unions the licence to adopt the same tactics, in what is effectively a union tax on businesses, with Labor the ultimate beneficiary.

But the most obvious form of pork-barrelling is the Albanese Government’s Productivity, Education and Training Fund, a scheme that gives money to unions and employer groups to simply engage with the government; a tradition carried from the Gillard years.
No other KPIs. Just talk to the government.
Having been abolished by the Abbott government, Albanese’s Labor quietly re-established the PET Fund in its first budget and has since allocated $88.9 million; the vast majority of which goes to unions.

In the most recent Budget, the pork increased by 150 per cent on the previous year’s pork.
Apparently, talk isn’t cheap.
Most employer groups refuse to take the money, understanding that money doesn’t come for free.

But the unions? Gimme. And of course, at the end of the day, the money eventually flows to Labor, one donation at a time.
So it is no wonder Burke is going berko at the CFMEU.
Those damned thugs are putting Labor’s business model at risk.

It will be interesting to see what pans out from here. Labor’s biggest donor, all the kickbacks Albo has given back as quid pro quo.
Who will blink first. The puppet or the puppet masters.

Don't really follow politics closely but See Nick McKenzie has done some great work again.

Turned the screws on Jacinta Allan and her and labor's role in allowing and condoning how the CFMEU have driven cost blowouts in big build projects.

Makes Leysy sick how nurses, paramedics etc need to beg borrow campaign for ages etc for wage and conditions increases yet numpties holding a stop go sign are signed off on huge increase by the govt and in many cases earn more.

Also see she was notified by another building company of the corruption, bullying and illegal behaviour in 2022 and only replied 12 months ago fobbing it off.

She asked Nick what proof did he have she didn't act. He replied here are the letters bahaha.

Also interesting murdochs peeps are pretty quiet on something they would normally be all over ie bringing labor down.

But because The Age did all the work and broke the stories they have been pretty quiet on it #torn.

Leysy's uneducated view is that this will
massively hurt her. People hate what that union stand for and now it is all coming out. Given she was minister for major infrastructure for a decade she must be the most culpable of anyone in allowing what has occurred.

The optics of her husband working for that union are also horrible.

Has to be Max Gawn surely.

Reactions: 5 users
yeah the CFMEU is a bikie gang resplendent with gorilla stand over men.

but look who they have to go up against?

crooked entitled boys club men like McLachlan.

where's the calls to deregister PWC? AMP? Insurance companies that dont pay? Banks that bill dead people? Age care conglomerates?

and have I missed something with the suitcase in the driveway intimidation?

Reactions: 2 users
I've said it before and I'll say it again, for every corrupt union official, there are 100 corrupt businessmen.

I'm not defender of the CFMEU and i don't think it comes as a surprise to anyone that they are connected. but for the sake of balance, lets see 60 minutes do an expose on dodgy builders in Australia. Dodgy builds and taking short cuts are rife and building inspectors are useless.
Yeh, there is no doubt there are crooks on both sides. Phoenixing companies was rife for decades. ASIC and the ATO are getting better at penalising recidivists they generally do not have enough powers and crooked builders/accountants/solicitors know the loopholes. I think there have been some legislative changes to make the individual liability for things like unpaid super & entitlements.

yeah the CFMEU is a bikie gang resplendent with gorilla stand over men.

but look who they have to go up against?

crooked entitled boys club men like McLachlan.

where's the calls to deregister PWC? AMP? Insurance companies that dont pay? Banks that bill dead people? Age care conglomerates?

and have I missed something with the suitcase in the driveway intimidation?

Yeah, I think you have missed something, it wasnt rouge undesirables but the big cheese himself doing it. I mean props to the guy for doing itself and not delegating but it paints a picture that intimidation is endorsed (not that the scab hunter swag would have hinted at that) and it's not the sort of behaviour a political party wants to be brought to light.

Yeah, I think you have missed something, it wasnt rouge undesirables but the big cheese himself doing it. I mean props to the guy for doing itself and not delegating but it paints a picture that intimidation is endorsed (not that the scab hunter swag would have hinted at that) and it's not the sort of behaviour a political party wants to be brought to light.

yes, but I must be missing some symbolism,

because it seems pretty unintimidating?

give me a suitcase in my driveway from the opshop with dog written in texta

over a fibia and tibia smitherined with a length of one inch gal pipe

anyday

I'd probably just think it was hard rubbish day, and drag the ab-circle-pro out of the shed and put it on the nature strip.

and what sort of message would that send?

Why the Albanese Government’s condemnation of the CFMEU is entirely unbelievable
16 Jul, 2024

The condemnation was breathless. Lots of huffing and puffing.

From the relative safety of an ABC studio, Employment Minister Tony Burke couldn’t spew out the superlatives fast enough to show the level of his outrage.
The office thesaurus clearly had a rough morning.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Apparently, the extensive criminality and corruption allegedly undertaken by militant union the CFMEU, which was splashed across the weekend newspapers, was “absolutely abhorrent”.

It was “criminal” and “illegal”. And the “thuggery” and “bullying” by Australia’s most notorious union was “completely unacceptable”.

It was so “outrageous” that Burke got in his car — true story — drove straight to his office, and “signed” a strongly worded letter to the secretary of his department, “asking for advice”.

That will teach them.

The pen is mightier than the sword, after all. Especially when you’re dealing with bikie gangs, mobsters and stand-over men. Beware the prose of a man keen to prove his fury.
If he hadn’t fallen on his sword on Friday, CFMEU poster boy John Setka would have been trembling in his Steel Blues.

He’s a funny bloke, that Tony Burke. Bit of a talker.

So what else was he going to do to fix this crisis?
“I want to make clear — everything is on the table,’’ the Employment Minister told the ABC.
Exactly what? Well, he hasn’t got a reply to his letter yet. But just you wait.
Ironically, unions have heard those words from Burke before. But they have a different meaning now.
Spare us your false indignation.

The Albanese Government’s condemnation of the CFMEU is entirely unbelievable. It’s laughable.
How outrageous that the unions would become a law unto themselves, says he who sacked the workplace umpire, constrained regulatory powers, filled union bank accounts, and gave them unprecedented powers.
Burke’s condemnation is little more than a lament. Not at Labor’s own culpability in creating this Frankenstein’s monster of the union movement.

But at the diminished financial returns his party will receive from the union that had an annual tax free net income of $160 million last financial year.

That income is now so tainted that not even the Labor party will touch it. For a few weeks, at least. Eventually, they’ll need it.
Unions like the CFMEU largely underwrote Labor’s 2022 election victory, giving the party $16 million in direct donations and spending a further $21 million campaigning for Labor.

That funding is set to be dwarfed by the union spending in the upcoming campaign. Call it payback.

Since coming into office, the Albanese Government has systematically gone through the Australian Council of Trade Union’s wish list and ticked off the items one by one.

It abolished the Australian Building Construction Commission that was keeping union criminality in check.
It gave union officials unfettered access to work sites across the country.
It introduced draconian Same Job, Same Pay laws that forced employers to pay staff the same, no matter what level of experience, age or qualification.
It extended union delegate powers to give officials more holidays, travel and office space, paid for by businesses. It put such onerous conditions on casual employment it effectively rendered such employment too risky or costly for employers.

< Breathe in >

And it gave unions the ability to rip millions from taxpayers and businesses under the guise of funding training programs.
The latter is the continuation of a merry-go-round of funds when Labor governments are in power — Labor funding itself from pockets of taxpayers and the tills of businesses, via the bank accounts of unions. It’s the left’s own version of trickle-down economics.

For example, the Victorian CFMEU pattern enterprise agreement requires businesses to pay $10,000 per worker, per year, straight to a CFMEU-controlled fund for unspecified training, of which it creams off massive kickbacks for itself.
John Setka once boasted that the union had these “pots of gold” in order to pay all the fines it incurred for all the laws it broke.

The most recent changes to IR laws give other unions the licence to adopt the same tactics, in what is effectively a union tax on businesses, with Labor the ultimate beneficiary.

But the most obvious form of pork-barrelling is the Albanese Government’s Productivity, Education and Training Fund, a scheme that gives money to unions and employer groups to simply engage with the government; a tradition carried from the Gillard years.
No other KPIs. Just talk to the government.
Having been abolished by the Abbott government, Albanese’s Labor quietly re-established the PET Fund in its first budget and has since allocated $88.9 million; the vast majority of which goes to unions.

In the most recent Budget, the pork increased by 150 per cent on the previous year’s pork.
Apparently, talk isn’t cheap.
Most employer groups refuse to take the money, understanding that money doesn’t come for free.

But the unions? Gimme. And of course, at the end of the day, the money eventually flows to Labor, one donation at a time.
So it is no wonder Burke is going berko at the CFMEU.
Those damned thugs are putting Labor’s business model at risk.

It will be interesting to see what pans out from here. Labor’s biggest donor, all the kickbacks Albo has given back as quid pro quo.
Who will blink first. The puppet or the puppet masters.
I hate this stuff, it is why I always worry about the independence of an ALP government

However, in the end it is repeated by multiple entities across all major parties. It is in some ways no different to the massive donations given by mining companies to the LNP and the effective lobbying against the mining tax as an example. Donations from the fossil fuel industry and the superannuation funds are large.

There are hundreds of lobbyists wandering around with the orange tags in our federal parliament unchecked. Both major parties refuse to agree to a model where their diaries are published because they know it will not be well received by the general public. It is one of the few things that is bi-partisan.

This is the stuff that the independents in particular are pushing hard. People like David Pocock and Monique Ryan are very active in this space.

The CFMEU boss, a wad of cash and a hidden camera

New pictures reveal covert police operation

A police camera hidden in the ceiling of the CFMEU’s Sydney office allegedly captured NSW construction union boss Darren Greenfield being passed a $5000 bundle of cash.

A police camera hidden in the ceiling of the CFMEU’s Sydney office allegedly captured NSW construction union boss Darren Greenfield being passed a $5000 bundle of cash as part of a suspected kickback deal involving money traded for union backing.

The vision was filmed on June 19, 2020, and appears to show a building company owner seeking union support reach into his pocket and remove a wad of cash he then passes to Greenfield under the table.

About 10 minutes later, the camera captured images of Greenfield allegedly placing the wad in his office desk drawer.

The vision was filmed as part of a joint NSW Police and Australian Federal Police operation targeting Greenfield. The operation led to him being charged with corruption offences in September 2021. His son, Michael Greenfield, the NSW CFMEU’s assistant secretary, was also charged.

While many leaders in the union movement anticipated Greenfield would step aside as the CFMEU’s NSW secretary when he was charged with serious corruption offences – which are still before the court system and are yet to be tested before a jury – he refused to do so and has continued to wield considerable industrial power in the state.

CFMEU national secretary Zach Smith, who on Monday said he would lead the clean-up of the Victorian CFMEU branch after placing it into administration, has repeatedly stood by Greenfield, claiming it was appropriate that a union boss facing serious criminal charges should retain his leadership role.

He also noted Greenfield retained the backing of the union’s NSW branch and had also denied any wrongdoing. “He has got the support of his membership and the support of the branch management committee in that state,” he said.

Smith’s fierce backing of Greenfield contrasts with the demand of ACTU secretary Sally McManus that all union officials facing credible allegations of corruption stand aside. CFMEU manufacturing division assistant secretary Leo Skourdoumbis has also demanded Greenfield stand down as secretary until his case is concluded.

“The charges are serious and people in positions of leadership, whether they’re in the trade union movement or even in the corporate world, when those situations arise [involving criminal charges] should not continue to hold and exercise power,” he said.

NSW Premier Chris Minns also said on Monday that Greenfield should quit. “Clearly, these are very serious charges before the courts; they couldn’t be more serious and it’s hard to see how he can continue in that role while facing serious charges before the court. So, I think he should go,” he said.

There is no suggestion that Greenfield is guilty, only that it is unusual for the leader of an organisation to stay in the role after being charged with corruption.

On Wednesday morning, Minns announced the CFMEU’s affiliation with the NSW Labor Party would be suspended and any political donations stopped in response to the “appalling” allegations.

In Victoria, fresh allegations have emerged about CFMEU assistant secretary Derek Christopher, who is positioning to replace former union boss John Setka as leader of the union’s most powerful branch.

On Monday, a major investigation by this masthead, The Australian Financial Review and 60 Minutes revealed Christopher had received an estimated $200,000 in free labour and supplies from major building companies in 2017 and remained the subject of an ongoing police corruption probe.

It was also reported on Monday that police phone taps and listening device recordings had captured evidence suggesting Christopher had arranged for free labour and supplies from major building firms with CFMEU agreements and also used CFMEU delegates on commercial building sites to assist with his home renovation.

This masthead can now reveal that after Christopher first learnt he was the subject of a police corruption investigation, he held a crisis meeting with Setka in the union’s office. According to a confidential source with firsthand knowledge of the pair’s discussion, Christopher was close to tears as he told Setka he had taken freebies from builders and was worried about being charged with criminal offences.

The source said a panicked Christopher told Setka that he was “f---ed” and that “they [the police] have been watching me” and that Setka responded by telling Christopher he needed to fight the police investigation with the union’s backing.

It can also be confirmed that the police investigation into Christopher has been delayed because of legal issues involving the use of certain covert police powers. Information gathered by detectives via the application of special police powers must be used carefully or it risks contaminating future charges.

Last week, Victoria Police released a statement confirming that a joint federal and state police inquiry, codenamed Operation Pantile, into Christopher remained “active and ongoing”.

Police also said they had prepared a brief of evidence and were assessing if Christopher’s alleged receiving of free labour and supplies – if proven before a jury – constituted a breach of the criminal code.

“The brief of evidence is currently with the OPP [Office of Public Prosecutions],” the police statement said.

The CFMEU boss, a wad of cash and a hidden camera
New pictures reveal covert police operation

A police camera hidden in the ceiling of the CFMEU’s Sydney office allegedly captured NSW construction union boss Darren Greenfield being passed a $5000 bundle of cash.

hands up who doesn't have a 5 grand roll of cash?

I find 'em wet in my pockets when mrs ez is too keen washing my jeans

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
hands up who doesn't have a 5 grand roll of cash?

I find 'em wet in my pockets when mrs ez is too keen washing my jeans
Coincidentally, I’m starting up a new laundry service in your immediate area. Very cheap and I’m sure Mrs ez would appreciate not having to wash your soiled clobber. Can organise pickup and delivery. Let me know which pickup days you prefer. (y) :cool:

yes, but I must be missing some symbolism,

because it seems pretty unintimidating?

give me a suitcase in my driveway from the opshop with dog written in texta

over a fibia and tibia smitherined with a length of one inch gal pipe

anyday

I'd probably just think it was hard rubbish day, and drag the ab-circle-pro out of the shed and put it on the nature strip.

and what sort of message would that send?
What? The message is clear, "you keep going against the union and you'll end up in one of these."

Turning up to your house after hours to do it. It's abhorrent behaviour.

What? The message is clear, "you keep going against the union and you'll end up in one of these."

Turning up to your house after hours to do it. It's abhorrent behaviour.

Like i said, if i had a multiple choice to be intimidated,

Id select suitcase in my driveway

But yeah, everyones different

Insurance companies have been behaving pretty abhorently around Lismore where i live.

Theres 1000's of people there whose suitcases , and every single thing they ever owned, are in 20 fathoms of water off Ballina,

But a metre of rain in a day wasnt a flood they reckon, it was alternately an engineering failure, misdirected stormwater, sinking houses, an uninsured act of god, or the phone just rings out

I wouldnt mind seeing Govt legislate to place insurance companoes under administration

And the administrator paying people who paid premiums for 30 years and lost everything.

Seftka is a pissant. The very worst crooks wear suit and ties

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Setka’s secret sisterhood: Labor women in covert support of CFMEU boss revealed

Leaked text messages reveal a network of Labor-linked women rallied around the fallen union leader over criminal harassment charges and his criticism of Rosie Batty’s domestic violence advocacy work.

Labor politicians and insiders sent private messages of support to former CFMEU boss John Setka as he dealt with domestic violence related offences and fallout from statements criticising the advocacy work of campaigner Rosie Batty.

The leaked private text messages were sent by federal and state Labor politicians and figures, including the then head of the key ALP women’s forum, even as Prime Minister Anthony Albanese moved to turf him from the party and unionists called for his resignation.

They provide a rare glimpse into Setka’s deep political connections as the union reels from a week of scandal following revelations it has been infiltrated by bikies and organised criminals and faced allegations of corruption and widespread intimidation.

The turmoil, sparked by an investigation from this masthead, The Australian Financial Review and 60 Minutes, cost Setka his job, has seen the union expelled from Labor and the ACTU as well as facing the prospect of almost all of its branches being placed under the control of an independent administrator.

NSW and Victorian MPs have already recently faced public scrutiny for supporting CFMEU officials facing criminal charges, including NSW Labor upper House MP Cameron Murphy, who last year singled out accused bribe taker, construction union boss Darren Greenfield, for acknowledgment and thanks in his maiden parliamentary speech.

Two backbench NSW Labor MPs who received $1000 in donations from the CFMEU before last year’s state election have said they will not repay the money.

The leaked texts from 2019 show some of the private dealings of Setka and his ALP supporters, including Victorian MP Luba Grigorovitch and the former head of Labor’s women’s forum Emily’s List, Tanja Kovac.

The messages reveal Kovac helped Setka craft his public messaging strategy to ward off pressure to resign after it was revealed in mid-2019 that he had subjected his estranged wife to a campaign of harassment – including calling her a “weak f---en piece of *smile*” and a “treacherous Aussie f---en c---” and a “f---en dog”.

By mid-June 2019, Setka was yet to face court but had said he would plead guilty to a charge of harassment and breaching a family violence order. He was also facing heavy criticism over leaked comments that he had said domestic violence campaigner Rosie Batty’s work had cost men some rights.

This was enough for some Labor figures, including ACTU secretary Sally McManus, to call for Setka to resign.

It was during this time leading up to and after his court appearance that Kovac sent Setka multiple text messages of support and advice on how to handle the publicity, saying it was “v important” he “talk about the need to talk about family and gendered violence”.

On 26 June, the day after he pleaded guilty and was fined $1000 in court, Kovac wished Setka “good luck” and urged him to “Be strong, genuine, sorry & the leader I know you are. Thinking of you Tanja.”

Kovac, who had her own communications consultancy at the time, was previously chief of staff to the country’s first minister for preventing family violence Fiona Richardson, who helped establish the 2015 royal commission into domestic violence.

While Albanese has repeatedly relied on his expulsion of Setka from the ALP to insist Labor had moved to isolate the CFMEU leader, the leaking of private texts between Setka and Labor politicians reveal his behind-the-scenes support from some in the party, including MPs.

The domestic violence allegations against Setka first emerged in early January, 2019.

Less than a week after Setka’s initial court appearance on domestic violence charges that month, state MP Bronwyn Halfpenny texted Setka to say that she “just wanted to say thinking of you and hope everything will be ok.”

“You are a great comrade to working people so the establishment will always want to bring u down. Hope to see you soon. Xxx”

Halfpenny co-chaired the Victorian government’s ministerial taskforce on workplace sexual harassment, which also examined gendered violence, from 2021.

In September 2019, federal MP Lisa Chesters texted Setka that she had just heard him in a “tough interview” on ABC Radio National that he had done “well”.

She also referenced Setka’s threat – contained in a leaked recording – that crossbench politicians would “wear the consequences” if they supported Coalition laws to bring in stricter integrity rules for union officials.

“Re cross-bench “we’re not allowed to campaign now; this is Australia?” Needed to be said. Lisa Chesters”, the text message reads.

At the time Chesters was Labor’s shadow assistant minister for workplace relations.

Her message was sent just days after then opposition leader Anthony Albanese had already labelled Setka’s conduct “unacceptable” and out of step with Labor values.

Chesters told this masthead on Thursday that she did not “condone family and domestic violence in any form”.

“My recollection of that specific text message was that it was in relation to a completely unrelated and industrial matter,” she said.

Others in Labor used the domestic violence allegations to sever their relationship with Setka and seek to have him held to account.

Former state Labor minister Jane Garrett, who died in 2022, agitated privately to ensure Setka lost his clout within Labor and the trade union movement after she learned of the extent of his domestic violence related behaviour.

Previously leaked text messages also show that in June 2019 Melbourne identity Mick Gatto was sending messages of support to Setka over his domestic violence matter.

That same month, then-Rail Tram and Bus Union secretary Luba Grigorovitch – who in 2022 would become a state Labor MP with the CFMEU’s backing – repeatedly messaged Setka to offer him support and to tell him she was directing her union to back him amid the fallout from the domestic violence scandal.

“FYI I have put this out today xx” she texted Setka of the RTBU statement that said Setka had always supported RTBU members and had the “right to address personal issues with his family”.

On 20 June, Grigorovitch, who did not respond to questions from this masthead on Thursday, texted Setka that she was “so pleased that we have a strategic plan going forward” and that “We will get through this John xx”.

Grigorovitch also advised Setka to rely on the behind-the-scenes advice of then-Emily’s List head Tanja Kovac to manage his domestic violence scandal. Emily’s List is a group devoted to helping Labor women get elected to state and federal parliaments.

Kovac advised Setka to highlight what she claimed were mitigating circumstances behind his domestic violence.

On 20 June, Kovac texted Setka that she “was chatting with Luba and I wanted to reach out to … discuss a couple of ideas I’ve shared with her about helping people/unions understand the pressures your family has been under and how that relates to the court cases and politics of all of this”.

The message was sent two weeks after it was reported that Setka would plead guilty to charges of harassing his estranged wife, Emma Walters, and had been accused in a police statement by a former deputy president of the Fair Work Commission of repeatedly intimidating and terrifying her; and that Setka had been found by police to have called Walters 25 times and sent her 45 text messages in a single evening, calling her a “*smile*” a “c---” and a “f---en dog”.

Four days after her June 20 text, Kovac messaged Setka again asking if he could find supporters willing to support him publicly.

She also sent Setka advice on his public messaging strategy, including “revised statements via email” and told him on the morning of his court appearance on June 25 to not “forget to talk about the need to talk about family and gendered violence this morning”.

A day later, on June 26, when he was about to plead guilty to charges of harassing Walters, Kovac messaged Setka “good luck” and advised him to be “strong, genuine, sorry & the leader I know you are. Thinking of you Tanja.”

On June 27, Kovac told Setka she thought his media coverage was “pretty good” and told him “Well done.”

“Remember that everything you’re saying and doing needs to still be about learning and forgiveness. See you Tuesday. Call me if you need anything. Tanja,” she wrote.

Kovac, who now acts as gender equality adviser, told this masthead on Thursday she was paid to act as a family violence and men’s behavioural change adviser to Setka and his wife, including on messaging, and made sure she got Rosie Batty’s blessing before she agreed to work with Setka.

She did not say who paid her but said: “Any kind of support or advice that you would have within a trade union environment, there would be some support or funding for that.”

“The importance for me [in addressing domestic violence] is men, as Rosie Batty has said, have an opportunity to do behavioural change.

“At the time, both Setka and his wife Emma sought advice and understanding and explaining behavioural change, family violence, safety and respect. Unfortunately, advice I gave was not heeded and I ceased my advice and counsel.”

Kovac said she saw the work as an opportunity to bring powerful change to a male-dominated union like the CFMEU and the broader industry.

“As the prime minister has recently observed, men have to be part of the solution to gendered violence. Some men and some organisations listen and some don’t. John did not listen to my advice,” she said.

Halfpenny did not respond to a request for comment.

• Sad
Just for everyone’s information. I’ve never claimed to have ever been a shop steward.
Apparently a poster has claimed I was a shop steward on another thread and where he also accused me of being a bludger because I was a shop steward. Go figure that out.

I previously said in this thread that I had been the employees representative on several EBA’s and was also the de facto union/employees representative when fellow employees needed a representative with them. Never was I a shop steward or claimed to be.

But apparently a few haters of mine forgot they weren’t in a group chat and had their usual cowardly slander going on. Obviously as individuals they don’t post or banter too well as individuals. So they have their little sneaky hate pile on sessions.
Cowardly little fellows they are.

But anyway I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions. I was an employees representative. I never got paid for it. I put many hours of research into the role when having to put forward a case for responsible pay rises, conditions, performance reviews and many other factors.
Never once did I ask for anything except fair conditions for my workmates (which obviously included me). Countless times I was told I had a target on my back. But I still did the best I could.
So if that makes me a bludger for doing that, that poster has no idea what the word means.

Last edited:
As previously requested, please leave me out of your weird little feuds Willo.

I'm pro-Union so whatever your role was, good on you.