Troy Taylor | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Troy Taylor

cmontiges said:
exactly right, it's obvious this guy can play and we need to develop him on and off the field.

They can all play, that's why they were drafted (well mostly :eek: ). What happens after that is what makes all the difference. RR is a bit tougher than me, but yeah, get excited about Taylor's game if you must, but in reality it was only eye catching if you are feeling enamoured. 8)

Phar Ace said:
They can all play, that's why they were drafted (well mostly :eek: ). What happens after that is what makes all the difference. RR is a bit tougher than me, but yeah, get excited about Taylor's game if you must, but in reality it was only eye catching if you are feeling enamoured. 8)
enamoured? had to google that one - "in love with, taken with, charmed by, fascinated by, entranced by". definatey not how i feel about TT. but i repeat "we need to develop him on and off the field". can play <> excited about.

Phar Ace said:

Agree Pharace. All clubs get pretty much the same crack at the same 80 youngsters every year. I think it is a joke that we worry about what pick we have every year. It is a loser mentality. As if some magical pick is going to cure our problems. It is all a cop out. We need positive and comprehensive developement of our young players from the moment they enter the club. They need to be indoctrinated with an uncompromising killer mentality, with the unrelenting harshness of physical and mental discipline as their stick and a Premiership as their carrot.

We do this to Army recruits and they achieve this mental breakdown and change in 8 weeks. In 16 weeks they are professional with their weapon system and ready to put their life on the line for their country as some of the best soldiers in the world.

That is what we need from out recruits, that they are indoctrinated in what is required in discipline on the field in all areas of the game in their first preseason. This gives them the grounding they need to develop into the player they will become.

cmontiges said:
enamoured? had to google that one - "in love with, taken with, charmed by, fascinated by, entranced by". definatey not how i feel about TT. but i repeat "we need to develop him on and off the field". can play <> excited about.

My point is that those feelings can colour sound judgment - people seem to be making more of his efforts than I would thus far. Don;t mistake what I'm saying as negative - I'm not. I have great hope for him and others under a new coaching regime - but just because they are new, doesn't make them all better - yet!

tigertim said:
Do people not realise that we have had new coaches about 15 times over the last 30 years. Just because a club had a new coach doesn't mean that everything will be alright. Nor do new facilities. I'll wait until the proof is there before I beleive the club can develop young players in numbers.
Thats right and those coaches were:
KB - selfish
Northey - took us to finals and left for brisbane
Walls - Selfish
Geischen - not up to it
Frawley - selfish/dumb (did take us to a prelim though)
Wallace - selfish, selfish selfish!!!!!
We have now a coach who has a proven development history with Hawthorn.
Theres also a difference between updated facilities and BRAND NEW STATE OF THE ART facilities!!!

Good Idea to wait and watch I say

Already had bandaging on the knee. Fingers crossed that it turns out well for Taylor, and that our medical staff didn't send him out there with an existing problem.

That's good news. Probably worst case 6-8 weeks, at least it's not ACL.

Baloo said:
Maybe it was the TV broadcast I saw but I'm a bit surprised at the rave reviews Troy is getting. I didn't think he did that much to be honest.

Done very little in two games and obviously not ready yet. On the glimpses shown though, he has that rare instinct for the game that all the top Aboriginal boys have. If he really wants to succeed we've got something special on our hands, otherwise he'll end up like every other kid that doesn't work hard enough.

frangalis4eva said:
long long way off. even some worrying signs of being a little bit of a dumb footballer. hope not though

totally agree, no urgency, no pressure, no chasing, very lackluster footballer,
needs to improve in the 1 percenters, before he plays in the seniors

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Done very little in two games and obviously not ready yet. On the glimpses shown though, he has that rare instinct for the game that all the top Aboriginal boys have. If he really wants to succeed we've got something special on our hands, otherwise he'll end up like every other kid that doesn't work hard enough.
Agree, both Troy and Relton have the instinctive swoop and flash of brilliance that the quality indigenous players have. Trouble is AFL is a hell of a lot more structured and methodical game than they grew up playing. Both need plenty of fitness work and coaching in the strutures of floods, zones, no u turns and two way gut running.
This year is a huge learning curve for both, expect to see flashes this year and much more consistent performances next year when they've had a full match season plus two preseasons to get the core basics down to anchor their talents.