Trade Week - Richmond Only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - Richmond Only

Four of those were Balme’s doing. Blair still hasn’t won a final without Balme. 😂 stop going around in circles as it’s all been covered and historical evidence is there for you to see. Can you say hello back to them next time you bump into them. Thanks :ROFLMAO:
Also your response had nothing to do with my post as when we got Griggs and Houli list was being built and they cost us nothing. The other four Balme came at the right time when we had a list coming off 3 of the last 4 years in finals and we were at the right age and experience to challenge unlike October 22 when we sold the farm for two plodders with a tired list.
Houli and Grigg arrived in Hardwick’s second year, list was far from built. We were lucky to get Houli via the psd (thanks Dodo), but there was a bit of angst here over trading Collins for Grigg. The work put in to get Prestia was done mostly during 2016, when Balme was still at Collingwood. Prestia was a big factor in tempting Caddy across from Geelong.

Reactions: 2 users
Houli and Grigg arrived in Hardwick’s second year, list was far from built. We were lucky to get Houli via the psd (thanks Dodo), but there was a bit of angst here over trading Collins for Grigg. The work put in to get Prestia was done mostly during 2016, when Balme was still at Collingwood. Prestia was a big factor in tempting Caddy across from Geelong.
I said list was being built .
The deal was all finalised by Balme. The Caddy deal was Balme's smart work as was getting rid of LIDS and TV which were important deals especially for cap space and picks.

FWIW we needed to do a review at the end of 21 like after 2016 to st kpi's and goals for the next five years as everything went downhill even in fitness and management.
Blair without Balme is like Dimma without Caracella and it was a complete overhaul of the FD and fitness staff after 16 that won our three flags . We have became like Rome as it burnt while Nero fiddled bc of complacency.

I said list was being built .
The deal was all finalised by Balme. The Caddy deal was Balme's smart work as was getting rid of LIDS and TV which were important deals especially for cap space and picks.

and how do you have all this prized internal information? Or is it all just assumption?

I've asked you before and you've just laughed it off, but its a very real question around this. If Blair was so crap at his job as you allude to, and Balme had to constantly step over him to fix up what he's messed up or failed to close. Why did he and Gale (as exceptional operators) keep him around and not move him on and bring in a more competent operator? I've asked this numerous times, and you've still failed to provide anything other than a childish thimbs down or laugh at the post. How about answering it if you think you know everything about the ins and outs of our list management team?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
FWIW its a bit of both camps that are on this site for how we got into this position.

People say Blair screwed up 2022. Blair is the list manager, he is guided by the coach as to the plans they want to act on. He doesn't just go and do a deal for any player that he chooses. The coach instructs and Blair does the deal. That was done at the end of 2022 with the Taranto and Hopper deals. This wasn't Blair and Clarke screwing up our list but an attempt from Dimma to win another flag, and we all know how long that lasted for Dimma.

I think last year, Blair knew what we needed from a draft perspective and didn't have a big hand to deal with last year due to the Hopper trade, but clearly set us up for the 2024 draft, I don't think that can really be disputed, and did he and Clarke do well? I think so, the McAuliffe pick and subsequent 2 trades back were nailed perfectly by Blair (or was Balme doing all the dealing again Tiger urine?).

So into 2024, and I do think listening to what Blair said that there is some truth to what Carter is saying, at least around Bolton. So Blair has said that Bolton had been wanting to go home for years, maybe, Blair knew the club had previously acknowledged this, and was probably also aware from player managers that both WA clubs will have kept an eye on Shai and been vocal about being interested should an opportunity arise (I'm certain this is common knowledge in football clubs, around who would be interested in their players should they wish to leave), maybe Blair was aware of our list and what we needed to do, aware of the draft hand that West Coast and Freo potentially had earlier in the year, and put some feelers out through the managers that an opportunity might arise around Shai knowing that Shai would be interested. Afterall, this was the year we needed to get things changed up a bit, and was also the year that the WA clubs looked like having the currency to get it done.

Whether something similar happened with Daniel I'm not too sure. I suspect the club was aware that both Baker and Graham were looking at potential other options (Graham made it very clear last year - or was it 2 years ago now, can't remember) so neither of those probably surprised the club. I suspect the Rioli one may have been the only left field one.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
and how do you have all this prized internal information? Or is it all just assumption?

I've asked you before and you've just laughed it off, but its a very real question around this. If Blair was so crap at his job as you allude to, and Balme had to constantly step over him to fix up what he's messed up or failed to close. Why did he and Gale (as exceptional operators) keep him around and not move him on and bring in a more competent operator? I've asked this numerous times, and you've still failed to provide anything other than a childish thimbs down or laugh at the post. How about answering it if you think you know everything about the ins and outs of our list management team?
I'm going by Blair producing no final wins before and after Balme. As i said earlier Blair without Balme is like DH without Blake. The results are there for us all to see. It's not prized information, but obvious information as everything was going downhill before they arrived and then it followed once they left. They kept him on hoping he would gain knowledge and experience in the role, but it appears he's still the same. I have answered it on numerous occasions and i don't think I know everything about the ins and outs of our list management team, BUT LIKE MANY HERE ARE JUST OFFERING OPINIONS.

Our problems started with the draft of 21 as they're looking sad atm. Need Gibcus and Clarke fit as they're probably our best two from it. Our drafting has been way weaker than our trading which is a worry. Hopefully TOCE left Frankie and Blair some good notes.

I'm going by Blair producing no final wins before and after Balme. As i said earlier Blair without Balme is like DH without Blake. The results are there for us all to see. It's not prized information, but obvious information as everything was going downhill before they arrived and then it followed once they left. They kept him on hoping he would gain knowledge and experience in the role, but it appears he's still the same. I have answered it on numerous occasions and i don't think I know everything about the ins and outs of our list management team, BUT LIKE MANY HERE ARE JUST OFFERING OPINIONS.

What a weird way to gauge Blairs ability in finals wins. Geez Balme must be an oracle to come in, trade and immediately win finals especially as it has nothing to do with Blair.

You can have your opinion, and I suspect its wrong. If Blair was anywhere near as bad as you make out, then quality operators in Gale and Balme would have moved him on and brought someone better in, so likelihood is, you have got this completely wrong.

But by all means, keep going on with your childish dislikes when you are called out. You make such dominant statements like, Balme did this etc, Balme completed the trades etc, and yet you have no inside info to confirm this.

Our problems started with the draft of 21 as they're looking sad atm. Need Gibcus and Clarke fit as they're probably our best two from it. Our drafting has been way weaker than our trading which is a worry. Hopefully TOCE left Frankie and Blair some good notes.

Better let Frank do it, Blair would probably read the names with the list upside down.

Having pulled back and not posted for a bit here i Must say it has been fun reading the rest of the thread. Lots of wrist slashing gone on here just because Poor old Blair copped a little bit of criticism.

Now what is that old saying? Oh yeah if we can't learn from our mistakes we are doomed to keep making them.

Or what about the old ? let him cast the first stone who is without mistake. Seems a fair few are more than willing to cast that stone without thinking of the mistakes they have made.

Oh well nothing like watching a jolly good stoning. Continue on people.
Haven’t you been posting under your other pseudonym @TIGER-P155 ?

• Wow
Don’t think you understood the post but let’s move on
Yeah, we had 2 picks already in the first 24, we did trade Bolton for three first roudners but gave one back so it was two and the Brisbane deal we gave up fair value. It wasn't the footballing masterstroke that you make it out to be. It was forecast in the media and by us nuffies on PRE.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
FWIW its a bit of both camps that are on this site for how we got into this position.

People say Blair screwed up 2022. Blair is the list manager, he is guided by the coach as to the plans they want to act on. He doesn't just go and do a deal for any player that he chooses. The coach instructs and Blair does the deal. That was done at the end of 2022 with the Taranto and Hopper deals. This wasn't Blair and Clarke screwing up our list but an attempt from Dimma to win another flag, and we all know how long that lasted for Dimma.
Isn't the purpose of having a list manager to ensure the coach doesn't simply control the list build and structure purely for the here and now, to get into finals and chase the flags without regard for the future of the playing list? Not so sure Blair was fully in charge here, we're well behind other clubs in the way the game is played these days as well.
Reckon the entire club might have taken the eye off the ball with their attempt to remain in contention while constantly regenerating and almost fell into Clarko n Hawforns attempt to stay relevant with similar results. Got ourselves wedgied while trying to honour our flag champs n nursing a few to many to the end. Trying to booger pick a couple of quality role players in trades that cost us access to the better end of the draft. Not putting enough development games into existing youngsters. Then everything simply got compounded by our nightmare run of injuries this year.
Accidental silver lining comes because we've been forced to get games into plenty of youngsters plus a few players leaving has dealt us a mighty hand to rejuvenate with. With no massive fan or meedjia expectations for the next couple of years, with a bit of luck we can look to be rebounding n challenging again within a few years.
I think last year, Blair knew what we needed from a draft perspective and didn't have a big hand to deal with last year due to the Hopper trade, but clearly set us up for the 2024 draft, I don't think that can really be disputed, and did he and Clarke do well? I think so, the McAuliffe pick and subsequent 2 trades back were nailed perfectly by Blair (or was Balme doing all the dealing again Tiger urine?).

So into 2024, and I do think listening to what Blair said that there is some truth to what Carter is saying, at least around Bolton. So Blair has said that Bolton had been wanting to go home for years, maybe, Blair knew the club had previously acknowledged this, and was probably also aware from player managers that both WA clubs will have kept an eye on Shai and been vocal about being interested should an opportunity arise (I'm certain this is common knowledge in football clubs, around who would be interested in their players should they wish to leave), maybe Blair was aware of our list and what we needed to do, aware of the draft hand that West Coast and Freo potentially had earlier in the year, and put some feelers out through the managers that an opportunity might arise around Shai knowing that Shai would be interested. Afterall, this was the year we needed to get things changed up a bit, and was also the year that the WA clubs looked like having the currency to get it done.

Whether something similar happened with Daniel I'm not too sure. I suspect the club was aware that both Baker and Graham were looking at potential other options (Graham made it very clear last year - or was it 2 years ago now, can't remember) so neither of those probably surprised the club. I suspect the Rioli one may have been the only left field one.

Isn't the purpose of having a list manager to ensure the coach doesn't simply control the list build and structure purely for the here and now, to get into finals and chase the flags without regard for the future of the playing list? Not so sure Blair was fully in charge here, we're well behind other clubs in the way the game is played these days as well.
Reckon the entire club might have taken the eye off the ball with their attempt to remain in contention while constantly regenerating and almost fell into Clarko n Hawforns attempt to stay relevant with similar results. Got ourselves wedgied while trying to honour our flag champs n nursing a few to many to the end. Trying to booger pick a couple of quality role players in trades that cost us access to the better end of the draft. Not putting enough development games into existing youngsters. Then everything simply got compounded by our nightmare run of injuries this year.
Accidental silver lining comes because we've been forced to get games into plenty of youngsters plus a few players leaving has dealt us a mighty hand to rejuvenate with. With no massive fan or meedjia expectations for the next couple of years, with a bit of luck we can look to be rebounding n challenging again within a few years.

I'm not saying the club haven't made mistakes, but Blair isn't solely responsible as some still are making out. If we are going to blame Blair, then through Balme, Gale, Lingstone, Hardwick etc into the same mix. The strategy of the club is devised by a leadership group made up of these people, they decide if the plan is the here and now, or regenerate or a bit of both. Suggesting that the list build where it is right now is all Blair Hartleys fault is a ridiculous, maybe I should say disgusting take.

If Balme is the all-knowing oracle people make out to be, he would have gotten rid of Blair if Blair was *smile*. Balme had no real hesitation to get rid of Dan Richardson after seeing him at work for a year.

Blair is recognized as one of the best in the business. Did he learn and get guidance from Balme when he was there? No doubt. Balme made a difference to RFC in a big way, but Balme didn't single handedly win us 3 Premierships.