Trade Week - NON-Richmond only | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Week - NON-Richmond only

This is not the first year of it, brother. Nobody complained last year. Nobody’s complained so far this year.

If Somebody that I used to know and Baker had gone as free agents this year we might have got picks 2 and 3 for them. If Baker didn’t get to band 1 we could force a trade. Who’d complain then?

It looks like the ones who will complain are those who lose Nick Daicos and only get pick #17 in return. But that hasn’t happened yet. (Hopefully one day.)

Clubs won’t let players walk unless they get compensated. The AFL looks to have got this right. The market was wrong. Too tight. Not any more.
It happened with Buddy didn't it? I remember the farce discussion, pick 20 for buddy, what was Frawley? 6 or something? That is an uber farce right there

If Frawley is worth 6, Buddy is worth 3 top 10 picks, and alternatively, if Buddy is worth 20, Frawley is worth 72.

Reactions: 6 users
It happened with Buddy didn't it? I remember the farce discussion, pick 20 for buddy, what was Frawley? 6 or something? That is an uber farce right there

If Frawley is worth 6, Buddy is worth 3 top 10 picks, and alternatively, if Buddy is worth 20, Frawley is worth 72.
Frawley was 3, then went on to win a flag with the Hawks.

Reactions: 1 users
You can only go off what the contract offer is in terms of $$$ and length though. It's the fairest way.

And he's being paid star mid/forward rates.
I understand why they do it that way, but dunno if its the only way or the fairest way. As some of the farcical results objectively show. When you get divorced, there are some schools of thought that the only way to get the right value of the house is to auction it. I've seen houses go for way unders and way overs at auction. But there are other ways, you can get 3 valuations.

That is all things being equal. As we all know, its not. the AFL has amazing abilities to balls things up. If we changed the system we'd still get Jason Wild getting valued higher than Dusty.

Yep. That's the one, ts. Buddy was the nightmare loss of the type.

So rare are legends this year that there is nobody around to compare the loss to.

If there's a 26yo Buddy at Sydney this year and he decides to go to Hawthorn for what would be $20M Sydney would get pick #20 or whatever. There'd be one club bleating then and only one.

Let's not forget that so devastated were the Hawks by the Buddy loss that they put away the next two premierships. Compensation is awarded based primarily on finishing ladder position. Like the draft system. That seems right to me. Keeps it interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
The whole system needs a massive overhaul. No father son, no compo, no academy picks.

Agree to some extent.

Keep father/son I reckon that is reasonable.

Compo for a free agent is a bit dodgy, maybe get rid of it, but at the very least reduce the compensation. Say, Band 1 is 2nd round and go from there.

Academies are a total rort. Either get rid of them, or teams get preference on players who are signed to the club in the VFL, WAFL and SANFL (TFL too in a few years?).

DS

I understand why they do it that way, but dunno if its the only way or the fairest way. As some of the farcical results objectively show. When you get divorced, there are some schools of thought that the only way to get the right value of the house is to auction it. I've seen houses go for way unders and way overs at auction. But there are other ways, you can get 3 valuations.

That is all things being equal. As we all know, its not. the AFL has amazing abilities to balls things up. If we changed the system we'd still get Jason Wild getting valued higher than Dusty.
Contract is one option.

Could also look at draft position - ie pick 17 plays average 200 games, with 15 brownlow votes and three top 5 finishes in the club bnf.

Could also look at salary compared to the rest of the list - eg Perryman is #8 top paid player at pies (daicos, moore, degoey, pendlebury, crisp, howe, daicos ) so that equates to r3 pick.
The rating would be based off historic draft data - where the top paid players were historically selected.