Trade Targeting this year. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Targeting this year.

I fear we'll end up with Josh Fraser at too high a price

I'll follow Dennis at the Burgers as my smoky ruckman - anybody know any decent up-and-coming rucks in the TFL, SANFL or WAFL ?

Danog said:
Jacobs and Goldstein are sounding like the best options at the moment.

I don't think we'll get Goldstein, the 'Roos aren't stupid.

Hale would be the first they'd get rid of. I wouldn't touch him though.

We need to sniff around clubs that will have a salary cap problem eg. Geelong with Mumford last year.

Dare I say it..... we should have kept Patto!!!

I'll add Koschitzke to my previous "too high a price" suggestion, I feel Lyon will lose any patience he still had with him

9th with a rocket said:
Seriously. Mitch Clark? Should have been on the AA bench last year. Easily the 2nd best ruck after Sandi in 09. To say he is "fighting for his spot" is absolutely ludicrous.

Seriously, could have been on our list right now but for the fact we thought he was a space cadet.

Will Sullivan at WC and Zach Clarke at Freo. Both are displaced Melbourne boys, both are young ruckmen, 202 cm tall. Sullivan won't get too many games ahead of Cox and Naitanui. Freo won't play another ruckman whilst Sandilands is there.

We could bring both home cheaply.

TOT70 said:
My biggest beef with Richmond's recruiting over the last few years has been the non-recruiting of ruckmen. The draft system allows you the opportunity to draft two ruckmen each year, at least one of whom should be on the rookie list.

By following this process you will end up with three decent rucks for the senior team and two development rucks for the future at all times.

A side benefit is that to make room for your developing rucks to be drafted each year, you should be able to choose three from your existing list to keep and trade a ruckman out for a decent pick every couple of years.

There is almost a cottage industry in stocking up on development ruckmen and trading away your least valuable one on a regular basis.

Geelong, for example, had Ottens, Blake, Mumford, Simpson and West last year. Three for the senior team to cover injury and two for development. Mumford was targetted by Sydney, pick 28 was reasonable compensation and they replaced him with Vardy. When Ottens hangs up the boots in a couple of years, they have his succession covered and won't need to give him an extra year where he can go back to his old habits of sitting in the massage room while he earns a lazy four or so g-spots for doing nada.

The only reason that Simmonds is still there is that we have failed to recruit a ruckman or two each year.

Bingo Tottie.
Even more baffling considering we knew Simmonds was spent and Patto was being moved on.
Too few eggs in the basket.

Herr_Tiger said:
I fear we'll end up with Josh Fraser at too high a price

I'll follow Dennis at the Burgers as my smoky ruckman - anybody know any decent up-and-coming rucks in the TFL, SANFL or WAFL ?

Saw Dennis play on Sunday and even though he didnt do much he certianly looked more like a footballer than Gus and Browney.

Will Minson anyone? Dropped this week and it seems he and Rocket are on shaky terms. Dunno if he's the answer, but we can certainly offer the opportunity to no.1 ruck for a while.

hopper said:
Will Minson anyone? Dropped this week and it seems he and Rocket are on shaky terms. Dunno if he's the answer, but we can certainly offer the opportunity to no.1 ruck for a while.

We know he can kick straight for goal - bloody Brian Lake.

B1

All this talk of Mitch Clark, Leunburger and McEvoy is absolute dreaming, some of you need to wake up and face reality. The only way we would get a young ruckmen of this quaility is if we have drafted one or gave up Cotchin/Martin plus pick 4.

We could have had Mitch Clark, who went the next pick after JON. What a massive stuff up that was.

hopper said:

Mmmmmmm dumbest smartest player in the AFL, just what we need

TOT70 said:
Will Sullivan at WC and Zach Clarke at Freo. Both are displaced Melbourne boys, both are young ruckmen, 202 cm tall. Sullivan won't get too many games ahead of Cox and Naitanui. Freo won't play another ruckman whilst Sandilands is there.

We could bring both home cheaply.

Now that sounds a better plan, Rance as bait, maybe ... far too early for rampant (or even unrampant) speculation

wayne said:
Dare I say it..... we should have kept Patto!!!

theres a fair chance he will be available at the end of the year.
could be a great plan. send him to the saints for a year. he will come back a much better footballer.

the blame for our lack of rucks lies at the feet of wallace.

The need for a tough quality ruck increases with the closeness of proximity to a flag. Its not that big a deal at the moment for us, we just need someone to make a decent contest, have a go and compete. We should not pay over the odds for a ruck. Keep developing what we have and draft more. If we are looking to threaten in 5 years and our ruck stocks are a bit short, THEN you look at trading for an established ruck like St. k and geelong did.

It cant be that hard...get a super tall player who is mobile (ie any basketballer) teach him to tap the ball and time his leap expecting contact. Then drift around the ground and maybe grab the odd possession. No real ball skills needed and not expected to hit a target every time (aka Sandilands).

Surely you could teach a monkey (albeit a tall one) to do that.

LEIGHLOMBARD said:
after thinking about it for a bit i think id just prefer to throw 850,000 a year and pick 4 at geelong for selwood :hihi

LMAO why not, if they win the flag and he is norm smith....a new challenge

Simmonds OUT - no Browne or Graham.

I say again lets Get a decent ruckman. Pay over if we have to.

PSD best - lets offer a big amount at a decent ruckman.

I think McEvoy might be the best to target.

we need one in 2011 or we will struggle next year as well.

Make it Happen Richmond - we havew no rucks at all.