Trade Targeting this year. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade Targeting this year.

Bellchambers? Zac Clarke (Who I like the look of)?? Paul Johnson???

ive always like the look of paul johnson i dont no what it is. looks like a young hille. maybe jake spencer he'd be cheap and is young.

In addition to targeting a young ruckman, we will need to target a strong full back to take on the gorilla forwards. Thursfield, Moore and McGuane are being monstered. Rance does not look up to it. If we cannot find one from another AFL club then mature players, aged up to 23 years, need to be found from VFL, SANFL or WAFL.

tigertough said:
In addition to targeting a young ruckman, we will need to target a strong full back to take on the gorilla forwards. Thursfield, Moore and McGuane are being monstered. Rance does not look up to it. If we cannot find one from another AFL club then mature players, aged up to 23 years, need to be found from VFL, SANFL or WAFL.

which gorilla forwards have monstered us this year?

tigertough said:
I think that's nonsense. Thursfield's last game was a good job on Hall against a tsunami of supply. Moore just played his best game in 18 months and was labelled best for Richmons by nearly everyone. McGuane's played a couple of handy games this year. I think there's a combination to work with there. We've had midfielders piling on the goals this year against us, but not the so-called gorillas.

My biggest beef with Richmond's recruiting over the last few years has been the non-recruiting of ruckmen. The draft system allows you the opportunity to draft two ruckmen each year, at least one of whom should be on the rookie list.

By following this process you will end up with three decent rucks for the senior team and two development rucks for the future at all times.

A side benefit is that to make room for your developing rucks to be drafted each year, you should be able to choose three from your existing list to keep and trade a ruckman out for a decent pick every couple of years.

There is almost a cottage industry in stocking up on development ruckmen and trading away your least valuable one on a regular basis.

Geelong, for example, had Ottens, Blake, Mumford, Simpson and West last year. Three for the senior team to cover injury and two for development. Mumford was targetted by Sydney, pick 28 was reasonable compensation and they replaced him with Vardy. When Ottens hangs up the boots in a couple of years, they have his succession covered and won't need to give him an extra year where he can go back to his old habits of sitting in the massage room while he earns a lazy four or so g-spots for doing nada.

The only reason that Simmonds is still there is that we have failed to recruit a ruckman or two each year.

after thinking about it for a bit i think id just prefer to throw 850,000 a year and pick 4 at geelong for selwood :hihi

Tiger74 said:
As for picking up a player in the PSD, don't forget GC17 and GWS. They can get one uncontracted player from each club, so if we convince a guy to remain uncontracted, we will have to fight against the GC17 dollars to even get them into the PSD.

Not saying its impossible, but it will be bloody hard.

Also I am extraordinarily reluctant to give up our first round pick

My concern now too - was laughed at when I said I'd take Seaby, a former premiership ruckman. Look a good cheap buy now eh!

McEvoy is the best to chase now, he's a ruckman on the verge - but will be hard to prise away - maybe money will do it when you look at the $$$ tied up in their list. Griffen may become available at season's end as Sellar is coming on. Dream on Momentai about Leuenberger, they love him here. Zac Clarke is the only really inexperienced young one that could come on quicker and may worth a chance on - IMO. Amazed someone said NM have plenty of rucks - can;t see em, Mac and Goldy - that's it. Hale does a bit of a WC Lynch and pinch hits, as does Petrie.

A smokie could be Daniel Currie, now that he sees Seaby, Mumford and even Jessie White and Pyke ahead of him. He's not the worst, been in the system a while now but injuries have held him back. Had a fair NAB cup game and has trained around some good tap ruckman in Jolly and Everitt. Lade could work wonders with him IMO (if Jessie is now fit and health, which I heard he is and Coburg once had his brother so a connect is possible).

RFc must have a ready to go ruckman - he must be traded for now, simple as that. We can still try and develop others, but the time to do so as the only meansd is gone.

McEvoy??

Leuenberger???

Mitch Clark!!!!!

Say good bye to Cotchin or Deledio plus a good pick for one of them.

Seriously. Mitch Clark? Should have been on the AA bench last year. Easily the 2nd best ruck after Sandi in 09. To say he is "fighting for his spot" is absolutely ludicrous.

It would be great if we could attract the 2011 version of Mumford. Not likely though. Players are hardly going to be falling over themselves to get to us the way Mumford was for Sydney.

Wonder how Bart McCullough is going at Brisbane. We were pretty keen on him a couple of seasons ago.

hopper said:
Wonder how Bart McCullough is going at Brisbane. We were pretty keen on him a couple of seasons ago.

Always see him on the injury list.

TOT70 said:
My biggest beef with Richmond's recruiting over the last few years has been the non-recruiting of ruckmen. The draft system allows you the opportunity to draft two ruckmen each year, at least one of whom should be on the rookie list.

By following this process you will end up with three decent rucks for the senior team and two development rucks for the future at all times.

A side benefit is that to make room for your developing rucks to be drafted each year, you should be able to choose three from your existing list to keep and trade a ruckman out for a decent pick every couple of years.

There is almost a cottage industry in stocking up on development ruckmen and trading away your least valuable one on a regular basis.

Geelong, for example, had Ottens, Blake, Mumford, Simpson and West last year. Three for the senior team to cover injury and two for development. Mumford was targetted by Sydney, pick 28 was reasonable compensation and they replaced him with Vardy. When Ottens hangs up the boots in a couple of years, they have his succession covered and won't need to give him an extra year where he can go back to his old habits of sitting in the massage room while he earns a lazy four or so g-spots for doing nada.

The only reason that Simmonds is still there is that we have failed to recruit a ruckman or two each year.

Couldn't agree more. I have been calling on this strategy for years. It is as close as a sure thing in drafting as you can get.If you follow that model you cover off your rucks and give your self a chance to get a extra pick inside 50 every three years. Staggering we haven't done this. Needs to start this year. We need to take possibly 2 rucks (depending on who we keep and who we flick) in the ND and one in the rookie.

SCOOP said:
Couldn't agree more. I have been calling on this strategy for years. It is as close as a sure thing in drafting as you can get.If you follow that model you cover off your rucks and give your self a chance to get a extra pick inside 50 every three years. Staggering we haven't done this. Needs to start this year. We need to take possibly 2 rucks (depending on who we keep and who we flick) in the ND and one in the rookie.

Yeah I agree as well.

If Graham is unable to make the step to AFL level I would also agree with those who are saying that we need to grab a mature ruck next year. Preferably through the PSD.

A Mumford type, Vickery, Browne a draft pick and a rookie pick would be the ideal situation. I would even consider looking at using the older age rookie spot on a ruckman.