Tony Jewell on Open Mike this week coming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tony Jewell on Open Mike this week coming

tigers80 said:
Yes that was a ripper, wasn't it over Rudi the witch doctor that we nicked from the Blooze

Yep. Must've been a close mate to Perc for him to do that.

Great show and great stories.
A real character who talks well and is easy to listen to.
Good stories about Graeme Richmond.
Also liked the stories of (pre-season) training e.g. 100 x 100m sprints and no drinks allowed.
On GF night 1980 he decides not to have a drink so as to really enjoy the night and soak it all up. But after midnight he made up for it and wasn't flash when he came to appear on WoS.
Good anecdote too about Tony Greenberg (now at Richmond and on the podcast) about when TJ was almost party in getting him shot.
Also good story about coaching St Kilda and he and Ian Stewart late Friday night with hoses going and a few beers and making sure Moorabin was a mudheap in the middle before a Carlton game.
Good stuff TJ

i am sure he has said previously that the reason he didn't drink post 1980 grand final because he got so hammered after his playing premiership 67? that he cannot remember any of that grand final

Watching video of the 1980 Grand Final, it's amazing to think he was only 36 then.
You have to wonder how things would have turned out if we hadn't flicked him at the end of 1981.

23.21.159 said:
Watching video of the 1980 Grand Final, it's amazing to think he was only 36 then.
You have to wonder how things would have turned out if we hadn't flicked him at the end of 1981.

Agree. How big was this idiot Tony Greenberg to play part of TJ's demise after less than 12 months in winning a flag? Geez, imagine if Royce Hart was our coach after what happened at the Dogs!

spook said:
... What a surprise that Richmond-hating flog Sheahan tipped the Pies in the 1980 GF. ::) He should have quit the game that day.

but instead went on to invent the myth Leigh Matthews was the greatest player of all time.

Ice said:
i am sure he has said previously that the reason he didn't drink post 1980 grand final because he got so hammered after his playing premiership 67? that he cannot remember any of that grand final

We won a flag in 67?

His comments about where Richmond sit right now at the start of the show got my heart beating. He can smell something happening. Most of us can too but are too scared to admit it.

spook said:
Watching it now. What a surprise that Richmond-hating flog Sheahan tipped the Pies in the 1980 GF. ::) He should have quit the game that day.

I remember Lou Richards writing on match day in the HS, or The Sun as it was then, "This is the one we win" about Collingwood.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I remember Lou Richards writing on match day in the HS, or The Sun as it was then, "This is the one we win" about Collingwood.
Maybe he should have been called the "Kiss of Death" .... oh yeah ... he was!

I had a work mate ask me how old Jewell was because he thought he was old when he coached us back in 80. Had to look it up. He is 71 which means he was 36 when he coached us in 1979 ( and obviously 37 in 1980 and 38 in 81 when he was sacked.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Interesting, because at the start of the 1980 season he tipped Richmond as the Premiers. Largely because of the Cloke Roach combination.

tigertim said:
I had a work mate ask me how old Jewell was because he thought he was old when he coached us back in 80. Had to look it up. He is 71 which means he was 36 when he coached us in 1979 ( and obviously 37 in 1980 and 38 in 81 when he was sacked.

Born Dec 8, 1943. He was 36 on the day of the 1980 GF.

tigertim said:

Don't know if it's coaching or bad genes.
But he looked a lot older back then.

TigerForce said:
Agree. How big was this idiot Tony Greenberg to play part of TJ's demise after less than 12 months in winning a flag? Geez, imagine if Royce Hart was our coach after what happened at the Dogs!

Tony Greenberg wrote the article for TJ get the sack in 1979 to be replaced by Royce - who then went to the Dogs for the 1980 season.

On Open Mike TJ said he could hear the jungle drums beating for Sir Francis in 1981 internally. Bourke was the anointed one to take over in 1982.

New York Tiger said:
Tony Greenberg wrote the article for TJ get the sack in 1979 to be replaced by Royce - who then went to the Dogs for the 1980 season.

On Open Mike TJ said he could hear the jungle drums beating for Sir Francis in 1981 internally. Bourke was the anointed one to take over in 1982.
Dodged a bullet missing out on Royce as coach. Great player, but dreadful coach. Took the Dogs years to recover from having him as coach.

New York Tiger said:
OK, I must've heard it wrong, but Greenberg's still a dill in calling for TJ to be sacked in his 1st season.

CarnTheTiges said:
Dodged a bullet missing out on Royce as coach. Great player, but dreadful coach. Took the Dogs years to recover from having him as coach.

Coincidentally, it was another Tiger in Micky who fixed them up just 2 years after Royce. We should've invested in him as coach....what was Ian Wilson & co. thinking?

Interesting how the hero-worship of Francis Bourke has had a significant negative impact at the RFC in two ways.
First in the Pitura saga and then sacking Jewell so Bourke could replace him.

Nothing against Francis - not his fault he was a sensational player and people put him on a pedestal.