To beat the Hawks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

To beat the Hawks

The key to this game will be the uncontested ball. The contested numbers are similar. Their uncontested numbers, link up play, speed by hand and foot and skill is otherwordly. That gives their fleet of elite goal kickers which we simply do not have free flowing chances. Let them off the chain in that area and we will be blown away. They've scored 517 more points than us in 16 games. Amazing.

spot on re uncontested ball, vs an understrength Carlton last week it look like it was 18 v 6 on the field. No pressure, no accountability at all with Carlton. If we routinely say "how can no one be around him" tonight we will also go down the same path as Carlton. Tight accountable football is a non negotiable prerequisite tonight.

I don't believe the hype myself. Good side, sure. Best in the comp at the moment? Yeah fair enough. Should have lost to collingwood by 3 or 4 goals. Flogged a listless Freo, Sydney are in freefall, Carlton? who cares.

Good side yeah, invincible or unbeatable? no way, media hype. It may prove to be true, but that conclusion can't be drawn yet. If we play well we'll go close, and with a smidgeon of luck we'll win.

The last 2 times we've beaten them, we have dominated the contested ball by over 20.

Tiger Pops said:
First 10-15 min.. Critical we get on the board and set the tone for the night. Hawks will want to put us away early!
yeah scoring early goals is crucial.

TOT70 said:
Beat them up and stand up to their bully-boy tactics.

When we played the Swans, they played the physical and mental intimidation card. The Hawks will play the same card over and over again tonight.

Publicly, Clarkson has come out and warned his players to be careful about taking cheap shots but the reality is that he will send them out to snipe and take all the cheap shots that they like, with his blessing and encouragement. Mitchell will go in knees first, Gibson will throw his usual quota of rabbit punches, Hodge and Lewis will tackle fiercely, both legally and illegally. They will be in every player’s face, they will be reminding everyone out on the field about how many Grand Finals they have won and how few finals the Tigers have played in. They will intimidate the Umpires. They will charge the atmosphere with nastiness.

What is the worst that can happen, a couple of reports? That will just mean that Clarkson has to rest his stars in a different order over the last few weeks of the year. Big deal. They have a rep to protect and that is so much more important.

The most heartening period that I have watched this year was the last quarter of the Sydney game. When Rance rag-dolled Franklin and Deledio pushed Richards contemptuously off the ball, these were pointers that we had won the mental war on the night. That is what is needed tonight. I hope Hardwick gives his charges a free pass if they are reported and suspended. It will mean that they have taken it up to the champ. A report tonight will be a badge of honour.

The Swans have been the AFL bullies for a number of years but the Hawks displaced them last season. The Swans gave it their best shot against us but fell short. When you start to lose these battles, you lose your aura of invincibility. As a result, everyone is challenging the Swans now. The Hawks, on the other hand, have an aura that looms over the whole competition. The media tells us that it is about their skill but it is really about their mental and physical intimidation.

Tonight will not be about the step-up in class. It will be about a bunch of under-qualified upstarts who are trying to emerge as a contender for the title. The champ will bite, snarl, scream and kick. He will not lie down and give it up without a no-holds-barred street fight.

If the Hawks win the mental war early, we can expect a blowout. If we hang in then anything can happen. Let’s hope we hang in.
Inspiring post Tottie, but I have one thing to add, we stood up to Sydney's attempted intimidation right from the start. There was no waiting for the last quarter to do it. It was on between Rance and Franklin before the opening bell rang.

CarnTheTiges said:
Inspiring post Tottie, but I have one thing to add, we stood up to Sydney's attempted intimidation right from the start. There was no waiting for the last quarter to do it. It was on between Rance and Franklin before the opening bell rang.

and Goodes. They were targeting Rance from the get go.

CarnTheTiges said:

Yes, but the Swans were 6 goals up at half time or early in the third quarter so that intimidation from the start did not work.
Franklin getting reported and us playing a faster brand of footy after half time won that game.
I don't want us to have our attention deflected and start playing the man when we have a game to win.

Chelsea said:
Yes, but the Swans were 6 goals up at half time or early in the third quarter so that intimidation from the start did not work.
Franklin getting reported and us playing a faster brand of footy after half time won that game.
I don't want us to have our attention deflected and start playing the man when we have a game to win.
I saw it as them trying to intimidate us and us not letting them do it. They were up on the scoreboard because they played better football early, and we took a while to get our game up and going. It didn't hurt that Franklin's hit on Edwards threw hime right off his game and he was facing an opponent he'd historically had problems with. They also have Tippett who is a spud and Goodes who probably should have retired a year ago.

Chelsea said:
Good call.

It's a fine line between not succumbing intimidation and going over the top and taking your focus off playing good footy.

Hawthorn are masters and distracting teams from the main prize. Especially guys like Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis, as already mentioned

This is akin to a finals game tonight I reckon.

It's a great opportunity to establish that we have finally arrived. Win tonight and it erases a frustrating loss last week and the silly losses earlier in the season to Melbourne and the Dogs.

evo said:

It's a great opportunity to establish that we have finally arrived. Win tonight and it erases a frustrating loss last week and the silly losses earlier in the season to Melbourne and the Dogs.

Agree. Except I could take the dogs loss, beat us fair and square, the geelong/ Melb losses were the frustrating ones for me.

evo said:

Agree... we often get ahead of ourselfes because we never really had the talent, we tried bloody hard but the cattle was never there. We have AA talent and emerging good players across all areas of the park now. Rance, Cotch, Lids, Martin, Jack...... in th past 20 years it was Richo or bust. Now we have Vloss, Miles, Grimes etc who are all good players to help the A graders. We NOW have a team!

tigersnake said:
I don't believe the hype myself. Good side, sure. Best in the comp at the moment? Yeah fair enough. Should have lost to collingwood by 3 or 4 goals. Flogged a listless Freo, Sydney are in freefall, Carlton? who cares.

Good side yeah, invincible or unbeatable? no way, media hype. It may prove to be true, but that conclusion can't be drawn yet. If we play well we'll go close, and with a smidgeon of luck we'll win.

couldn't resist. Bobbed the head forward in a couple of tipping comps. Go tiges

tigersnake said:
couldn't resist. Bobbed the head forward in a couple of tipping comps. Go tiges

Played the joker on footy tips this week hoping our upset would pull me ahead on a couple of comps.

TOT70 said:

When we played the Swans, they played the physical and mental intimidation card. The Hawks will play the same card over and over again tonight.

Publicly, Clarkson has come out and warned his players to be careful about taking cheap shots but the reality is that he will send them out to snipe and take all the cheap shots that they like, with his blessing and encouragement. Mitchell will go in knees first, Gibson will throw his usual quota of rabbit punches, Hodge and Lewis will tackle fiercely, both legally and illegally. They will be in every player’s face, they will be reminding everyone out on the field about how many Grand Finals they have won and how few finals the Tigers have played in. They will intimidate the Umpires. They will charge the atmosphere with nastiness.

What is the worst that can happen, a couple of reports? That will just mean that Clarkson has to rest his stars in a different order over the last few weeks of the year. Big deal. They have a rep to protect and that is so much more important.

The most heartening period that I have watched this year was the last quarter of the Sydney game. When Rance rag-dolled Franklin and Deledio pushed Richards contemptuously off the ball, these were pointers that we had won the mental war on the night. That is what is needed tonight. I hope Hardwick gives his charges a free pass if they are reported and suspended. It will mean that they have taken it up to the champ. A report tonight will be a badge of honour.

The Swans have been the AFL bullies for a number of years but the Hawks displaced them last season. The Swans gave it their best shot against us but fell short. When you start to lose these battles, you lose your aura of invincibility. As a result, everyone is challenging the Swans now. The Hawks, on the other hand, have an aura that looms over the whole competition. The media tells us that it is about their skill but it is really about their mental and physical intimidation.

Tonight will not be about the step-up in class. It will be about a bunch of under-qualified upstarts who are trying to emerge as a contender for the title. The champ will bite, snarl, scream and kick. He will not lie down and give it up without a no-holds-barred street fight.

If the Hawks win the mental war early, we can expect a blowout. If we hang in then anything can happen. Let’s hope we hang in.

This is brilliant. This is what happened. Word for word.

I loved the start, before the bounce, Cotchin went straight to Hodge and gave him the business, FIRST. Nothing stupid. Just a push in the chest, FIRST. It was a statement of intent. And Cotchin had a look that Hodge knew. It was the "We taking IT from you. You can stop us". IT is the intimidation. IT is the bluster and the verbal. And once it's gone. It's gone for good. Once the champs know they can't bluff you, they know they have to bring everything to the table. They have to play the game to beat us. They have to bring A grand football against A grade pressure. And the pressure was too good.

And Hodge knew that look. He gave it five years ago. Last night was the first time he got it back. And he knows it.

TOT70 said:

Quality post Tottie, boys got straight on the front foot n pushed the unsociable right up the Hawks left nostril for them.
Got a feeling that if we meet them during the finals this year there's going to be a war happening.
Would definitely be one to bring the beer n popcorn to.