To beat the Hawks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

To beat the Hawks

The Shrike

Tiger Cub
Feb 24, 2008
Can we please have someone leading up to the ball carrier all over the ground all game long. Go tiges.

We need to man-up and go one-on-one to make it hard for the Hawks to kick out when a behind is scored.
Last week was frustrating when the full back continually found someone on their own 30m in front of our goal.
This opens up the ground for the second kick.
We also need to kick straight and take our chances.
We need a good start and stay with them.
We cannot afford our usual one bad quarter a match.
We need a lot to go right and Hawks to be off their game 5%.
We need to move the ball fast in transition and don't overuse the handball.

Al ot can/will be won or lost in the coaches box. Absolutely need to play at our best, convert, clearances, clean football a must. Who we tag vs who we allow natural head to head will be vital too. The matchups for Rance-Houli-Vloss-Grimes and Chaplin will make or break us.

We cant afford to do what we did v the Cats and keep kicking the ball to Harry Talylor... 75m out we MUST lower the eyes, do some basic maths
2 or 3 Hawks on 1 tigers - is a no no. Smart play for a good result.

I just hope we dont hear from Dimma how good Hawthorn are post game and there is a gulf between us and them. A loss, we will all be in awe of the hawks, a win, good lick holding down that lid!

Lets hope for a lid lifting night.

We're saying that we can't let them have an lmid, but that's a tactic that we use with Chaplin to great effect, so that particular thing works both ways. I agree with an earlier poster who said kick more goals than them. That was Tommy Hafey's mantra, I don't care how many goals they kick, just as long as we kick more.

Can't be in awe of them.

Play on at every opportunity.

If Jacks double teamed look for that free up player.

Kick straight.

Play tough contested football, not bruise free.

Dish it out / don't take any of their rough tactics. Might be some reports tonight.

In the words of Arnie and Leigh Matthews, " if it bleeds we can kill it" .

Let's draw first blood!

Go you Tigers.

I'm going . Who is going? Where will you be seated?

Interesting to hear Brett Deledio on the TT podcast mention we feel we can exploit them defensively and restrict them.

Just need to make the most of our opportunities this week. Kick for goal at 70% and we'll win IMO.

The Big IF word.

Think we have a nicely balanced froward line (minus a genuine small foward). Ty-Jack-Loyed-Delidio-Newman-Lennon. Kicking to the right man at the right time will equate to a good win. If the rebound back men can use the link up players (Macintosh-Griff-Cotch-Dusty) and we move quickly without kamikaze dumb running, we are a chance.

Really if we play the good football we have shown over the last 12 months we are a shot. We know we can, we have shown we can, over to you Richmond on another Friday night audience to show if we truly have arrived as a good side.

Beat them up and stand up to their bully-boy tactics.

When we played the Swans, they played the physical and mental intimidation card. The Hawks will play the same card over and over again tonight.

Publicly, Clarkson has come out and warned his players to be careful about taking cheap shots but the reality is that he will send them out to snipe and take all the cheap shots that they like, with his blessing and encouragement. Mitchell will go in knees first, Gibson will throw his usual quota of rabbit punches, Hodge and Lewis will tackle fiercely, both legally and illegally. They will be in every player’s face, they will be reminding everyone out on the field about how many Grand Finals they have won and how few finals the Tigers have played in. They will intimidate the Umpires. They will charge the atmosphere with nastiness.

What is the worst that can happen, a couple of reports? That will just mean that Clarkson has to rest his stars in a different order over the last few weeks of the year. Big deal. They have a rep to protect and that is so much more important.

The most heartening period that I have watched this year was the last quarter of the Sydney game. When Rance rag-dolled Franklin and Deledio pushed Richards contemptuously off the ball, these were pointers that we had won the mental war on the night. That is what is needed tonight. I hope Hardwick gives his charges a free pass if they are reported and suspended. It will mean that they have taken it up to the champ. A report tonight will be a badge of honour.

The Swans have been the AFL bullies for a number of years but the Hawks displaced them last season. The Swans gave it their best shot against us but fell short. When you start to lose these battles, you lose your aura of invincibility. As a result, everyone is challenging the Swans now. The Hawks, on the other hand, have an aura that looms over the whole competition. The media tells us that it is about their skill but it is really about their mental and physical intimidation.

Tonight will not be about the step-up in class. It will be about a bunch of under-qualified upstarts who are trying to emerge as a contender for the title. The champ will bite, snarl, scream and kick. He will not lie down and give it up without a no-holds-barred street fight.

If the Hawks win the mental war early, we can expect a blowout. If we hang in then anything can happen. Let’s hope we hang in.

Hard contested football plus best tackling effort for the year. Do that as well as take chances & kick straight, we're a chance.

Our best is good enough to beat anyone.

waiting said:
Can't be in awe of them.

Play on at every opportunity.

If Jacks double teamed look for that free up player.

Kick straight.

Play tough contested football, not bruise free.

Dish it out / don't take any of their rough tactics. Might be some reports tonight.

In the words of Arnie and Leigh Matthews, " if it bleeds we can kill it" .

Let's draw first blood!

Go you Tigers.

I'm going . Who is going? Where will you be seated?

We are going.
I have been told the Ponsford Stand is where the majority of Tiger fans will be.
We will be there somewhere.
Go Tigers!

TOT70 said:
Beat them up and stand up to their bully-boy tactics.

When we played the Swans, they played the physical and mental intimidation card. The Hawks will play the same card over and over again tonight.

Publicly, Clarkson has come out and warned his players to be careful about taking cheap shots but the reality is that he will send them out to snipe and take all the cheap shots that they like, with his blessing and encouragement. Mitchell will go in knees first, Gibson will throw his usual quota of rabbit punches, Hodge and Lewis will tackle fiercely, both legally and illegally. They will be in every player’s face, they will be reminding everyone out on the field about how many Grand Finals they have won and how few finals the Tigers have played in. They will intimidate the Umpires. They will charge the atmosphere with nastiness.

What is the worst that can happen, a couple of reports? That will just mean that Clarkson has to rest his stars in a different order over the last few weeks of the year. Big deal. They have a rep to protect and that is so much more important.

The most heartening period that I have watched this year was the last quarter of the Sydney game. When Rance rag-dolled Franklin and Deledio pushed Richards contemptuously off the ball, these were pointers that we had won the mental war on the night. That is what is needed tonight. I hope Hardwick gives his charges a free pass if they are reported and suspended. It will mean that they have taken it up to the champ. A report tonight will be a badge of honour.

The Swans have been the AFL bullies for a number of years but the Hawks displaced them last season. The Swans gave it their best shot against us but fell short. When you start to lose these battles, you lose your aura of invincibility. As a result, everyone is challenging the Swans now. The Hawks, on the other hand, have an aura that looms over the whole competition. The media tells us that it is about their skill but it is really about their mental and physical intimidation.

Tonight will not be about the step-up in class. It will be about a bunch of under-qualified upstarts who are trying to emerge as a contender for the title. The champ will bite, snarl, scream and kick. He will not lie down and give it up without a no-holds-barred street fight.

If the Hawks win the mental war early, we can expect a blowout. If we hang in then anything can happen. Let’s hope we hang in.

great post :)