The window is open - smell the terror. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The window is open - smell the terror.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Great thread to start the days from some of PREs finest grumpy old men.

You are putting a lot of pressure on the game. We have 5-6 players out of our best 18, Essendon may have none. Even if we are a top 6 team and Essendon are not that is a big leveller.

If we are within 3 goals I will be confident we can square the series later in the year with a fit Foley and Conca.

We've got Tuck, Conca and Ellis out. Harsh. The former champion Grimes and Petterd play the same role. Meh. Tuck is forty but Conca and Ellis hurt.

We're only playing Esserden, Colonel. We'll squeak this game then brain them in a coupla months., a bit like you say When we win this game by seventeen points we should be disappointed. Just Esserleper.

I don't wanna be about how Tim Watson tries really hard for an old bloke and how Brett Standen is Australian for turnover but yeah, we;re too good at football for them, and then . . .

tigersnake said:
Love it Dyer'ere. (Did I ever tell the story about the time Jack Dyer taught my 10 yo Dad to kick a drop punt at my great uncle's funeral? Probably did, but I love that story, JD grabbed a pikelet and a cuppa at the wake and gave the old man, a future gun centreman, a skills clinic on the Gordon tennis courts).

I agree with most of the post, but at the risk of being defeatest (I don't reckon it is, I'm confident on the big picture), I still reckon we might have to take a step back before we go all the way forward. Get hardened by some brutal defeats. History shows that is how it normally plays out, but the trend is up. We might jag one ah la Hawthorn, never know.

I agree about the endless catastrophising threads, people are freaking out a bit, its heady stuff. My favourite is the midfield depth ones. Posters who reckon its a weakness have a bit of an inferiority complex I reckon, we are thereabouts. What we have needs a bit more experience, and we could use 1 or 2 more sure, always can. But there are these things called salary caps, talent pools, and 40 man lists. We'd like a Jetta/ Garlett/ Walters (who wouldn't?). Considering where we've come from, and where we seem to be headed, we're going pretty well.

Tigersnake. I'm so maggotted in five minutes I'll be a fly. Is our window open? Who's saying that if the cards fall our way we can win the premiership this year? I think it's even more unlikely than a Hawthorn premiership. But it can happen.

Furthermore I'm saying that the reason for the high emotion this year, from otherwise calm posters, is that we're frightened of success.

Can we win the premiership this year, snake?

Dyer'ere said:
I'm so maggotted in five minutes I'll be a fly.

“Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness.”
― Allen Ginsberg

Dyer'ere said:
Furthermore I'm saying that the reason for the high emotion this year, from otherwise calm posters, is that we're frightened of success.

Nah more a case of being conditioned not to expect it.

“Our heads are round so thought can change direction”
― Allen Ginsberg

Dyer'ere said:
Can we win the premiership this year, ...?

Of course we can.

“I don't think there is any truth. There are only points of view. ”
― Allen Ginsberg

The window is open a crack. If the cards fall our way, bloody oath we can win the flag.

Agree on the high emotion, the thought of success is scary when you're used to failure and false dawns, it is a journey into the unknown, unless you're over 50. People are sitting in the corner and rocking back and forth 'can't get hurt if I refuse to believe'.

But when it happens, everyone will very quickly realise its quite nice.

No doubt the Tigers have improved this year - 5-3 says it all and I'm sure if any Tiger was told before the season that after eight rounds that'd be the case, they would've taken it in a heartbeat.

The race for the top eight is still wide open though - Richmond are every chance but definitely not a certainty.

The second half of the season will be huge for WCE, Collingwood, Port Adelaide, and Essendon. The Eagles and Collingwood will improve for mine - the Magpies are a hell of a lot better than they showed last night. West Coast seem to have their winning form back after their slow start to the year.

Certainties to make the eight for mine are (in no ladder order, mind you) - Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney.

More than likely to make the eight I put Collingwood and West Coast.

The teams battling out for the last three positions I reckon will be Essendon (they've hit a bit of a form slump), Richmond, Adelaide, and Carlton.

Four teams battling for the last three positions - am not sure Carlton will make it...these next few weeks will determine it. Lose tonight at the GABBA and I'm certain they won't.

I haven't included Port as I do not think they're good enough yet - a dream opening draw of Melbourne, GWS, and the Suns from their first five matches, and three losses in a row to better opposition than bottom four sides.

Who really knows what will happen in the second half of the season, but at the minute, while I don't think Richmond are certainties, they're definitely in a good place to be battling for positions 6-8 against the other three sides I named.

Hallelujah Capt.

An inspiring sermon. So much so, im gonna have a nibble at over 39.5 @ $7 today and try pay my mounting debts to brother tigersnake. You know the punter logic ... "what good is $200 in this state of affairs. $1400 will get me some traction. Its a no lose situation"

Back to the window. Oh yeah it open. A set of casements in a paintless queenslander. Ones wide open, ones hard shut. Depend which way the wind blows as to the effectiveness of the opening.

By now youve taken a barocca, a pair of panedeines and gone to bed. when you get up, a bottle of lemonade, a hamburger with the lot (genuine lot, pineapple too), a few bucks worth of chips and you may eek another day or two out of your optimism.

yes we can. Im a little afraid of losing control.

BluesBloke said:
.... while I don't think Richmond are certainties...

Ye of little faith. If Dyer says we're certainties that's good enough for me. We're certainties. Much better to believe in than those who reckon we don't have a chance.

:gotigers

Here's the thing. We can win the flag this year but we very probably will not. Who do we blame?

My take is that we finished umpwelfth last year so sixth is good. But I want more.

One more Dyer'ere ism for ya before I turn in:

Loneliness is failure; to long is to live.

rosy23 said:
“Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness.”
― Allen Ginsberg

Nah more a case of being conditioned not to expect it.

“Our heads are round so thought can change direction”
― Allen Ginsberg

Of course we can.

“I don't think there is any truth. There are only points of view. ”
― Allen Ginsberg

go Rosy!

"1. You can't win. 2. You can't break even. 3. You can't even get out of the game. " - Alan Ginsberg

We gotta be careful with The Chimp too. Hes a potent prophet.

check this out

http://www.theage.com.au/world/tyrannical-chimp-ruins-childhood-20130524-2k5ch.html

Dyer'ere said:
First up. We're about $1.30 to make the eight. That's because we're a certainty to make the eight.

Lost you right there. We're no certainty to make anything. Lose to Essendon and we could be in 11th spot after this round (potentially 12th if Collingwood had of won). 13 games and percentage will be a minimum this year. Our percentage is lower than a few teams around us. Means to be certain we need to win 14 games, so 9 more games. We play Ess, West Coast, Adelaide, West Bulldogs, St Kilda, North, Gold Coast, Fremantle, Sydney, Hawthorn, Brisbane, Carlton, GWS, Essendon. Not a difficult draw but I don't see 9 gimme games there. We will have to play well to make it.

Carter said:
can we rise above? or will we revert to type - a team to be ridiculed, a team that cannot ice big games against finals challengers?

I reckon we'll revert to late 60s to early 80s type.

Quote from: Carter on Today at 06:24:41 AM
Carter said:
if we put the strut back into Essendon i will probably wake up sunday morning in a strange room next to an unconscious dwarf, a bottle of blue curacao and a banana.

I knew the fear and loathing of Essendon ran deep Carter, but..............Ok, I'll throw in John Densmore tapping out his little bossa nova intro to 'break on through' on your skull, and Ray Manzarek asking if anybodies seen his Fender Piano Bass?

Carter said:
if we put the strut back into Essendon i will probably wake up sunday morning in a strange room next to an unconscious dwarf, a bottle of blue curacao and a banana.

That is hilarious. But could happen to me if we won the flag. A similar thing happened to me after the Mother's Day Massacre, except the dwarf was an ex girlfriend, the room was in her parent's house, the bottle was Jim Beam and the banana was a cold hot dog.

I don't Ess will get their strut back, the worst will be they beat us with one final backs against the wall effort.