The window is open - smell the terror. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The window is open - smell the terror.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
First up. We're about $1.30 to make the eight. That's because we're a certainty to make the eight.

Secondly we're about $4 to make the four. Is it $6 today? Overs.

We're $17 for the flag. Overs again in my mind.

*But with Daniel Jackson and Luke McGuane and other Cale Hookers and Puoplolos and George Newb and Late Scratching and various lepers for other clubs we can't win it.*

The expansion of the league and the subsequent dilution of talent meant that Clinton Young (Jackson or even Grigg would ask him if he had trouble with the *smile* sticking to his fur) was sought after by top four clubs last off-season.

*But we finished umptelveth last year; how could we win the flag this year?*

For two reasons.

First an allowance. Webberley, Post, Derrickx and A. Maric played regular late season footy for us last year. The *smile* does not stick to their fur. Even at VFL level. We fixed the depth problem so that even if we are in the direst of inury *smile* this year A. Edwards plays not Jeromy Webberley.

(Notice we have injuries and yet Edwards still can't get a game?) Let's not even go into cultural/player/body mass change.)

All this does is remove the reason we didn't make the eight last year. It doesn't give us a premiership shot.

Secondly it's about improvement.

Trent Cotchin can improve on 2012 form. He hasn't yet. Problee gone back a bit. But it is only round eight right now.

Brett Deledio can move into a #2 mid role by the end of 2013.

And Dustin Martin can at least equal an improved Deledio.

Titch is beginning to show that he may be a change clearance machine. Conca is yet to bloom but is due to and then the good news starts. Half of the old Foley would be a godsend and Tuck will get back. (How 'bout that broken arm full forward thing?) Brandon Ellis. Nick Vlastuin. These two are the real godsends.

Jack? Meh. Just a star. Jake King? Oh, I dunno. Beat three twice in 30 minutes. G. Ablett senior would be impressed. Career best form. Vickery has grown a leg or healed one. McGuane may rise to the occasion or . . . perhaps, if Vickery keeps improving we can play a smaller, even fiercer forward line.

*What about Jackson's momentum killing?* Richmond is one of the few first to the ball sides in the top eight. *That's because everybody plays formation second to the ball, fluster and counter.* This is not a new theory. jackson is not an inside player. Mainly he's outside and he runs and hits like a man. See Clinton Young. If Action ever meets him in a final be grateful that Clinton Young is not your sister.

*But Rancid is hilarioously useless.* Let us discuss this in three weeks. My money is on Rance. Houli has been a revelation. He's failed at times but he keeps getting up and going again. The lesson of football, of life, at any level, is to go again. I'd like to be more like Houli. Chaplin is only going to get better. Likewise Morris. We are struggling at #3 back but we have options.

All of this is very possible. Some of this improvement has started to happen. What if McBean or Elton or Arnot just bloomed? McDonough?

Hawthorn is currently $3 for the flag which means it's unlikely that they'll win it. Is Richmond likely to win it this year? Duh. We've had our share of bad luck. Give us just a year of 51% of the other kind.

But all Tiger fans, all PREnders, know that we're unlikely but a chance. That's why normally amicable threads are melting down. We're most frightened of success when we can smell it.

Bitterness is cowardice; dispute is bravest when it's mannered.

The window is open now. You know it.

classy posting right there, Jack.

and I agree. I certainly hope our coach doesn't trot out the word 'injuries' at any stage. we recruited for this, we planned for this.

grimes is out? ok. we look to batchelor. astbury. griffiths. darrou.

conca on ice? fine. ellis. titch. helbig. arnott. lonergan. *foley*.

vickery's nose pushed back into his throat? sure. elton. mcbean. edwards.

there's a rich smell in the air today. opportunity (smells a bit like faeces to richmond people). we have the chance to smash a club exposed as a corportised, cynical, ruthless, smarmy, unsavoury, contemptuous old boy bloc.

i'm surprised ASADA didn't find a bunch of geriatrics in smoking jackets under Windy Hill, nursing misogyny and riffing on the golden days of Nubrik.

can we rise above? or will we revert to type - a team to be ridiculed, a team that cannot ice big games against finals challengers?

if we put the strut back into Essendon i will probably wake up sunday morning in a strange room next to an unconscious dwarf, a bottle of blue curacao and a banana.

the wider scheme of things begins tonight. the world beckons like a lover. the red carpet can be glimpsed in the distance. behind the fear. the richmond fear.

the chimp is doing it tough this season. captaincy, injury, loss, media (excellent timing by an essendon-supporting journalist whom I expected better from).

don't think he'll reach fifth gear anytime soon. but he will. because has the grit. the sh!t. the sag. the bag. the stones. the jones. the will(y).

Carter, in my whole time on PRE it never occurred to me that I might post with one as late as me or as wasted.

Thank you*.

*You are just getting home, right? Not, like getting up or some such, which happened to me one time too.

wish I was wasted, Jack.

no. this is the hour for Henry Miller and Allan Ginsberg. good, solid way to start the day.

Just on the topic of bitterness (bleating), we all experince it. Every time I sniveled about Newman in the past it was because I thought he could do better.

When I was critical of Chimp, Dusty, Jack, Vickers, Lids, Houli, Titch, Knights and others it was because I thought if they improved we could go there.

Ellis and Vlastuin came on soon. Even if we didn't know it would be them we knew someone would. We're up and about.

The window is open now.

Carter said:
wish I was wasted, Jack.

no. this is the hour for Henry Miller and Allan Ginsberg. good, solid way to start the day.

So you wake at six then do Ginsberg? I admire you but he wouldn't. ;D

billyb#40 said:
well said Dyer there, not much more to add really

Problee broke my own rule a few times billybob. The Tigers will be up tonight win or lose.

the only thing Alan Ginsberg did at 6 in the morn was taking drugs with Burroughs and nailing rent boys.

First up...... we're a certainty to make the eight.

I hope everyone marks Dyer's words and gets behind our players. Not much use frothing at the mouth in anger when already know our fate. Good we can relax and enjoy our ride on the finals bound express.

Eat 'em Alive

:gotigers

Carter said:
Ginsberg, not a chance. :hihi

There is no such thing as a great writer, only a great re-writer. Roughly Hemingway IIRC. Carter, when you let down into stream of unconsiousness/taxed association, you can do it, brother.

Your best is very good IMO, friend.

evo said:
the only thing Alan Ginsberg did at 6 in the morn was taking drugs with Burroughs and nailing rent boys.

Bad news, evo - we're fresh out of rent boys.

Dyer'ere said:
There is no such thing as a great writer, only a great re-writer. Roughly Hemingway IIRC.

The beats owe a debt to Henry Miller. Tropic of Cancer would be in the hip pocket all day if my wife allowed me to be an insufferable tossbag.

I'd book the tigs a squadron of rent boys if I thought it might help tonight.

speaking of ginsberg..he,d be celebrating bobby dylans 72 birthday to..

tigerland..theres music in the cafes and revolution in the air

rosy23 said:
First up...... we're a certainty to make the eight.

I hope everyone marks Dyer's words and gets behind our players. Not much use frothing at the mouth in anger when already know our fate. Good we can relax and enjoy our ride on the finals bound express.

Eat 'em Alive

:gotigers

Get behind them, Rosy? What about that leper Cotchin? Worst 22yo captain we've had in centuries. For almost thirty years because our captains were no good and in charge of useless sides we couldn't criticise them. They did what they could.

But that's not where we're at right now.

It's no longer about whipping boys. That would be defeatist. And leave my favourite Muscles McGuane alone. I shitcan my favourites because we can win. I shitcan Muscles.

We're not losers any more, Rosy. It has turned. Our coach is doing it. Our second round choices stink but our first round choices are gold and free agents are the new get-out-of-jail card. Jack, Chimp, Squirrell, Vickers, Brandon. Floss. Martin. Check it, sister. Good times.

Our men are Richmond men? Yep. Do they fail? *smile*, yeah. Criticism is good. The blame thing. The tokenism. The obfuscation. The conflation. Well, we all fail.

PREnders know we can play.

As for Rance. He's married so no confusion there. As for the broader issue of gay, blokes don't care. A lot of your mates are gay. *But not playing football?* More so. ;D It's a rich world, as we all know.

Great thread to start the days from some of PREs finest grumpy old men.

You are putting a lot of pressure on the game. We have 5-6 players out of our best 18, Essendon may have none. Even if we are a top 6 team and Essendon are not that is a big leveller.

If we are within 3 goals I will be confident we can square the series later in the year with a fit Foley and Conca.

Love it Dyer'ere. (Did I ever tell the story about the time Jack Dyer taught my 10 yo Dad to kick a drop punt at my great uncle's funeral? Probably did, but I love that story, JD grabbed a pikelet and a cuppa at the wake and gave the old man, a future gun centreman, a skills clinic on the Gordon tennis courts).

I agree with most of the post, but at the risk of being defeatest (I don't reckon it is, I'm confident on the big picture), I still reckon we might have to take a step back before we go all the way forward. Get hardened by some brutal defeats. History shows that is how it normally plays out, but the trend is up. We might jag one ah la Hawthorn, never know.

I agree about the endless catastrophising threads, people are freaking out a bit, its heady stuff. My favourite is the midfield depth ones. Posters who reckon its a weakness have a bit of an inferiority complex I reckon, we are thereabouts. What we have needs a bit more experience, and we could use 1 or 2 more sure, always can. But there are these things called salary caps, talent pools, and 40 man lists. We'd like a Jetta/ Garlett/ Walters (who wouldn't?). Considering where we've come from, and where we seem to be headed, we're going pretty well.