The road to the 2024 super draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The road to the 2024 super draft

I will probably change my mind a few times but the more I think about it the more I feel like we shouldn’t trade for pick 2.
I think the value in our picks is trading the later ones into 2025.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes agree. Doing a deal with a club that would yield us a probable top 10 pick in 2025 is really the starting point. Even then it sounds like there will be early bids pushing picks out in 2025.

Picking who won’t make the 8 is the hard part. I reckon there are probably 15 clubs who think they can play finals in 2025.
Thats why it would be best to get 2-3 Future 1sts (hopefully one or two of those clubs have a shocker and we wind up with 3 top 10 pics in 2025)

Reactions: 1 users
I will probably change my mind a few times but the more I think about it the more I feel like we shouldn’t trade for pick 2.
I think the value in our picks is trading the later ones into 2025.
Similar. I can see some justification for trading up but pretty much only if we don't trade pick 6 (which i accept is probably unrealistic). If we had 1,2 and 6 then giving up 10. 11 and a F2 might make sense.

Thats why it would be best to get 2-3 Future 1sts (hopefully one or two of those clubs have a shocker and we wind up with 3 top 10 pics in 2025)
Beware of weaker drafts. Some are stinkers. This one is quality, but even this one has risk.

For instance, 2017 is considered a good draft year but our picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23 and 24 this year would have netted Raynor, Jaidynson, Lochie O'Brien, Aidan Bonar, Starcevich, Coleman-Jones, Will Walker and Tim Kelly. Yuk!

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Beware of weaker drafts. Some are stinkers. This one is quality, but even this one has risk.

For instance, 2017 is considered a good draft year but our picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23 and 24 this year would have netted Raynor, Jaidynson, Lochie O'Brien, Aidan Bonar, Starcevich, Coleman-Jones, Will Walker and Tim Kelly. Yuk!
The good news is you didnt factor in the fs and academy picks.
So 1 ashcroft, 9 kako, 12 lombard, 18 marshall leaves us with 2, 7, 13, 14, 22, 27 and 28
Brayshaw Clark Brander Ling Fogarty Daniels and Taylor....
Err not much better. 3/8

Reactions: 1 user
Also 2017 was a strong draft, especially in the 20s.
But it topped out at 33.
After that there is 2-3 good players out of every 10

So posters advocating to slide our late picks back should take this as a stark warning

Reactions: 2 users

Gotta love the pre draft honeymoon period.:LOL:

No guarantee we would have selected any of those players, let alone all of them. Maybe we wouldn’t have drafted that well 😁

The good news is you didnt factor in the fs and academy picks.
So 1 ashcroft, 9 kako, 12 lombard, 18 marshall leaves us with 2, 7, 13, 14, 22, 27 and 28
Brayshaw Clark Brander Ling Fogarty Daniels and Taylor....
Err not much better. 3/8
Marshall won't get bid on at 18.. Between 25-40

17 wasnt particularly good early, but from 15 to 33 is exceptional.

Drafting is a lottery.

At least we have a lot of tickets. But we'd be lucky to get 1-2 A graders and 2-3 solid citizens.

Reactions: 4 users
we desperatley need to get pick 2 from north
and draft osullivan and lalor at 1 and 2
the rest of picks will fall into place

I would only go for pick 2 as long as we retain pick 6. If we have to give it up, then no deal and we look at using one of our later picks to snag a future first.

I said before the trade period began that we shouldn't be using 8 picks in 2024 and I stand by that statement.