The road to the 2024 super draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The road to the 2024 super draft

To No.2 or not to No.2. That is the question?
I wouldn't sacrifice the quantity or timing of the picks we currently have.

It didn't help Melbourne when they had 1&2 and we got Martin at 3.

If we are wise ( and have an element of luck) we could do a Buddy/ Roughead type of draft and set ourselves up for a strong rebound.

With Tasmania compromising drafts to come we need to take as many talented kids as we can this year and next

Reactions: 13 users
I wouldn't sacrifice the quantity or timing of the picks we currently have.

If we are wise ( and have an element of luck) we could do a Buddy/ Roughead type of draft and set ourselves up for a strong rebound.

With Tasmania compromising drafts to come we need to take as many talented kids as we can this year and next
I’m glad it’s not me having to make the call P64 , however the more I look at a few of these highly credentialed kids the more I’m happy to keep our picks and go with whoever falls to us at 6, 10, 11 etc

Reactions: 9 users
I’m glad it’s not me having to make the call P64 , however the more I look at a few of these highly credentialed kids the more I’m happy to keep our picks and go with whoever falls to us at 6, 10, 11 etc
In an even draft with no clear standouts & without Nostradamus as a talent spotter, it does feel like an advantage to have more balls in the barrel.

Reactions: 11 users
How many bloody draft threads do we need?!

Those 6 teams are
Brisbane
Collingwood
Hawthorn
Geelong
Essendon
Suns

Maybe bumbers and sunnies could provide value if they don’t make finals next year, but I am yet to be convinced that a future pick, say 14 -18 will be better than a pick 18 -24 this year.
The idea behind it would be to trade down in this draft while picking up a future pick. Eg. Hawks could give us pick 33 and a future pick for pick 24.

Reactions: 2 users
How many bloody draft threads do we need?!

The idea behind it would be to trade down in this draft while picking up a future pick. Eg. Hawks could give us pick 33 and a future pick for pick 24.
With the strength of player most likley available with our last 2 picks spook , would you be only wanting to deal with a club that your confident wouldn’t make the 8 next season ? Obviously if the team gives us a pick just a few spots later in this draft it changes things however , next years first round has to be the big equation

Reactions: 1 users
With the strength of player most likley available with our last 2 picks spook , would you be only wanting to deal with a club that your confident wouldn’t make the 8 next season ? Obviously if the team gives us a pick just a few spots later in this draft it changes things however , next years first round has to be the big equation
It'll be something Blair has to read in-play, I reckon mate. Who's available at each of our picks and what other clubs are offering for them.

I'd be targeting one of the two F1s Essendon has. Once they match for Kako we could give them 24 for 45 and an F1. Deep draft, will still be someone good at 45.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes agree. Doing a deal with a club that would yield us a probable top 10 pick in 2025 is really the starting point. Even then it sounds like there will be early bids pushing picks out in 2025.

Picking who won’t make the 8 is the hard part. I reckon there are probably 15 clubs who think they can play finals in 2025.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes agree. Doing a deal with a club that would yield us a probable top 10 pick in 2025 is really the starting point. Even then it sounds like there will be early bids pushing picks out in 2025.

Picking who won’t make the 8 is the hard part. I reckon there are probably 15 clubs who think they can play finals in 2025.
Yep injuries , juniors improving, the draw , so many factor's that can’t be known until it happens . Even a team that’s been talked up like the Hawks could drop back down, teams will now have a better way on how they tick , could the Cats drop , Pies could go up or down dramatically, Bombers are the ones I think will finish closer to the bottom then the top that others think will be the other way .

Most even year of all time coming up is my guess

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting parallel

Scully was a very good player early in his career. Then he got nabbed by the expansion club. Was always a good player, but never elite.

Similar times now of course. What did Melbourne get for Scully?

we desperatley need to get pick 2 from north
and draft osullivan and lalor at 1 and 2
the rest of picks will fall into place

A few opportunities for us to have a crack at. What about trying to get the Saints 7,8, 32 for pick 10, 11 and 20

Give north 6 & 23 for 2

Give GWS pick 8, 32 for 15, 16

End up with 1,2,7, 15, 16, 18, 24

Reactions: 6 users
Is this really a 'super' draft aka 2001??
🦜 Kano Lyon Montanga Ralph have all mentioned they have HEARD, it's a super draft'
But who's actually watched these kids this year??

I have it on good authority that TV execs are saying it's the best draft ever, so everybody should tune in to watch it unfold

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not against trading 10 & 11 for 2 and a later pick which we can use to select Davidson.
Personally o would prefer us to use all our picks. If we trade for norths pick 2 I would prefer to offer something like 6 and 11 for 2 and their future first. They probably want the trade more than we do so it needs to work for us. We shouldn’t overpay for a 4 pick upgrade in a deep draft

Super draft huh? Probably worth revisiting the original super draft and seeing just how “super” it really was.

Plenty of great players all throughout that draft. Plenty more not so great players too. Personally, I’d be trading up to pick 2 if the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Super draft huh? Probably worth revisiting the original super draft and seeing just how “super” it really was.

Plenty of great players all throughout that draft. Plenty more not so great players too. Personally, I’d be trading up to pick 2 if the opportunity presents itself.
Plenty of them great players went a hell of a lot later than the top 10 picks of the draft. Simply a matter of getting the picks right n then growing them properly. Pick the wrong 18 y.o. spud at pick 1 or 2 n he'll still be the wrong spud when he's 25 y.o.

Interesting parallel

Scully was a very good player early in his career. Then he got nabbed by the expansion club. Was always a good player, but never elite.

Similar times now of course. What did Melbourne get for Scully?
They used the compo they got on Dominic Barry and Jesse Hogan. I’ve never heard of Barry and Hogan also eventually wound up at the Giants.