The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

Thomas Pritchard, the last Rat of Tobruk has passed away.
I saw on the news that he was a Richmond supporter.
I thank him for his service, may he Rest In Peace.

• Sad
Reactions: 14 users
Thomas Pritchard, the last Rat of Tobruk has passed away.
I saw on the news that he was a Richmond supporter.
I thank him for his service, may he Rest In Peace.
My uncle was a Rat of Tobruk. He passed away many years ago. He was a British soldier though (the Rats were made up of Australians, British, few other nationalities). He was a Sargeant under Montgomery's command. Spent 2 years in the desert.
Saw and I'm sure, had to do terrible things. My aunt would sometimes make private reference to the things he did and saw, but my uncle never wanted to talk about it. Too painful.

He came home a quiet man with diabetes, terrible skin afflictions etc such were the conditions. They were permanently starved out there. Dysentery and other diseases. Intense heat. Dehydrated constantly. Death all around him every day. The family was lucky to get him back because many of them did not come home.

He was a beautiful man. Gentle. Quiet, respectful, considerate. I am extremely proud of him.

We can't thank these people enough what they were put through.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
meant to put this up earlier... R I P Martin Phillipps passed 28th July.

founder of NZ band The Chills. great songwriter, great band.

Reactions: 1 users
My uncle was a Rat of Tobruk. He passed away many years ago. He was a British soldier though (the Rats were made up of Australians, British, few other nationalities). He was a Sargeant under Montgomery's command. Spent 2 years in the desert.
Saw and I'm sure, had to do terrible things. My aunt would sometimes make private reference to the things he did and saw, but my uncle never wanted to talk about it. Too painful.

He came home a quiet man with diabetes, terrible skin afflictions etc such were the conditions. They were permanently starved out there. Dysentery and other diseases. Intense heat. Dehydrated constantly. Death all around him every day. The family was lucky to get him back because many of them did not come home.

He was a beautiful man. Gentle. Quiet, respectful, considerate. I am extremely proud of him.

We can't thank these people enough what they were put through.
My uncle was a Rat, too. When I read through Pritchard’s story, I realised that he and my uncle probably knew each other. They both served in 2/5th Field Ambulance. Uncle Jack also served in the Pacific after the Middle East. A Tiger supporter, as well.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m not sure whether it’s appropriate for the actual Rest In Peace thread.
But she was an Australian icon that brought joy to many and had an avid following.

Black Caviar
Connections decided to humanely had her put down.
Days after being delivered of a colt foal, had been suffering illness for a couple of days. She also feet problems she wouldn’t have been able to live with.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

England cricketer Graham Thorpe took his own life, his wife reveals​

Not great.
Possibly for another thread but we look at these cricketers living the great life and watch clips from that time now with hindsight. Thorpe had mental health issues, so did Trescothick and Trott. Warnie and Symonds have passed away. Slater and MacGill have had big legal issues and made bad choices in life.
I’m sure there are others.

Reactions: 1 users
Possibly for another thread but we look at these cricketers living the great life and watch clips from that time now with hindsight. Thorpe had mental health issues, so did Trescothick and Trott. Warnie and Symonds have passed away. Slater and MacGill have had big legal issues and made bad choices in life.
I’m sure there are others.
Is there any difference to any other walks of life in this regard?
Except for the fact that they're generally extremely well paid, have the adulation of the community and have way better access to care and support networks if they can be bothered to use them than the average pleb in the street.

Is there any difference to any other walks of life in this regard?
Except for the fact that they're generally extremely well paid, have the adulation of the community and have way better access to care and support networks if they can be bothered to use them than the average pleb in the street.
Possibly not. Seems to have been a lot in the more recent times