The real problem with Richmond at the moment | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The real problem with Richmond at the moment

Tackling and intensity is eons beyond what Wallace taught the players.

Media OTT in negativity with our effort.

FFS ,we have young kids.

PAV is an old warhorse.

No feeling of sadness about Richmond this week.

TigerForce said:
Yeah it will happen for us, but it's a bit funny predicting that the teams you mentioned can't improve any further?

Maybe the only obvious failure at the moment is Essendon.

Firstly, get your quote right. he didn't say "can't" he said "unlikely to".

Why do you think it is funny suggesting what he suggests? Presumably by that comment you consider there is either a reasonable amount or alot of improvement available to those teams? That would be an even stranger comment for mine.

smasha said:
Tackling and intensity is eons beyond what Wallace taught the players.

This wasn't a PROBLEM set up in Wallace's era! You can go back to Frawley and Geish at least and see many a game where were flat laying 20 tackles in a game - that's right just 20 tackles - I've banging on about this for a decade or more. Along with Shepherds. :mad:

The other thing we were getting progressively worse at was on field chat - dead set team of mutes by my experience, made all the worse by the Captain of Mutes, Kane Johnson. Good player, probably a great mate, but a mute on field as a Captain.

Phar Ace said:
Firstly, get your quote right. he didn't say "can't" he said "unlikely to".

Why do you think it is funny suggesting what he suggests? Presumably by that comment you consider there is either a reasonable amount or alot of improvement available to those teams? That would be an even stranger comment for mine.
Sorry for the pedantics......I didn't know the words 'cannot' and 'unlikely' were so far apart in meaning.

He's predicting that the top teams are UNLIKELY to improve further. How would he know that now when they are still on top of the ladder and playing well? Why shouldn't they have the strength to get rid of players who are not performing &/or getting older and then find other better players? It's a bit too Nostradamus to me.

real problem with Richmond at the moment is that we've done alot right lately but supporters are so jaded they can't see the wood foor the trees.

cmontiges said:
real problem with Richmond at the moment is that we've done alot right lately but supporters are so jaded they can't see the wood foor the trees.
C'mon Tiger supporters, just use every Richmond game as a visit to the dentist. You'll get used to it soon. ;D

Positive post... however, my biggest anxiety in the next couple of years in recruiting to bolster the current team and build on some of the good signs we've seen this year... the compromised drafts will not help our cause. In saying that, I'd be happy with more Nason quality types deeper in the draft!

TigerForce said:
Sorry for the pedantics......I didn't know the words 'cannot' and 'unlikely' were so far apart in meaning.

He's predicting that the top teams are UNLIKELY to improve further. How would he know that now when they are still on top of the ladder and playing well? Why shouldn't they have the strength to get rid of players who are not performing &/or getting older and then find other better players? It's a bit too Nostradamus to me.

Forgiven ;D

The same way any of us here even get close to what we claim to know (maybe even you ??? ).

Still think it's more than fair for Hippity or others to have an opinion on what might well become the case, hence the use of UNLIKELY, and not "can;t", 'Can't' would be Nostradamus-like, 'unlikely' is more of an opinion, surely.

Anyway, if you go back to Hopper's post, you'll see he mostly referred to Geelong, who today you might say have plateau, or maybe we are just a couple of goals of Geelong on that formline. I think the former is far more LIKELY than the latter - believe it or not ;D

Phar Ace said:
Forgiven ;D

The same way any of us here even get close to what we claim to know (maybe even you ??? ).

Still think it's more than fair for Hippity or others to have an opinion on what might well become the case, hence the use of UNLIKELY, and not "can;t", 'Can't' would be Nostradamus-like, 'unlikely' is more of an opinion, surely.

Anyway, if you go back to Hopper's post, you'll see he mostly referred to Geelong, who today you might say have plateau, or maybe we are just a couple of goals of Geelong on that formline. I think the former is far more LIKELY than the latter - believe it or not ;D
Phar Ace there was no need for this explanation because I just responded to Hopper in a humorous way ("it's a bit funny") and not in a critical way. I don't bag people on here.

Plateau doesn't mean it's the end or downhill. They thrashed Port by a near century last week and I reckon they are still strong enough to fight back after plateauing or losing players through injury or form and have the ability to finish top 4 or 8. Don't forget he mentioned that an improving Brisbane with Fev/Brown"will never be more dangerous than now". There's no 'unlikely' in that quote and it's all Nostradamus to me.

TigerForce said:
C'mon Tiger supporters, just use every Richmond game as a visit to the dentist. You'll get used to it soon. ;D
actually more like visiting your dentist and proctologist in the one appointment. character building though :hihi

TigerForce said:
Phar Ace there was no need for this explanation because I just responded to Hopper in a humorous way ("it's a bit funny") and not in a critical way. I don't bag people on here.

Plateau doesn't mean it's the end or downhill. They thrashed Port by a near century last week and I reckon they are still strong enough to fight back after plateauing or losing players through injury or form and have the ability to finish top 4 or 8. Don't forget he mentioned that an improving Brisbane with Fev/Brown"will never be more dangerous than now". There's no 'unlikely' in that quote and it's all Nostradamus to me.

Initially you did, then came this
TigerForce said:
Yeah it will happen for us, but it's a bit funny predicting that the teams you mentioned can't improve any further?

Maybe the only obvious failure at the moment is Essendon.

I didn't get the humour in that - maybe I'm missing a comma or fullstop somewhere ;D

Anyway, I wasn't accusing you of bagging, hence the humour I tired to use as well. It was lighthearted. I've never really read anything personel from you that I'd describe as bagging.

On the plateau comment, that was my cut and thrust on it, seperate from anything Hopper said.

Phar Ace said:
I didn't get the humour in that - maybe I'm missing a comma or fullstop somewhere ;D

You don't get the humour in me saying "it's a bit funny" ?

My guess is that our main rivals as we emerge will be Carlton, Freo and Melbourne (perhaps WCE or an expansion team that combines some drafting skill with some old fashioned luck). Just my 5c. Time to hang tough and take our medicine for a little while.
the two new teams will eventually dominate, they have been gifted unpresedented top 20 talent, its not possible for any current club to get all that talent,even if the talent is average, they will peak at once, i cant see how they wont eventually win flags, look at what port did, and their talent pool wasn,t has good

Phar Ace said:
My only caveat is that we could be no different to Essendon. Not saying that is the case, because it is way too early, but because we recruit kids with no real quality vets to to guide them, it is no guarantee to success IMO.

This is why we need to make free agency work for us. Surely we can make enough room within the salary cap to land a couple of guns.

Tigerbob said:
Agree also.

Was very happy with last nights progress. Things are looking very positive. It will just click sooner rather than later.
Agree,I expect us to start winning in a couple of weeks & make a run for the 8.Everything looks really positive.