The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged)

Re: Matthew Dea taken at pick 44

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
You also have to take into account that Francis Jackson would have a fair idea on who will be in next years draft as far as KPP,s are concerned.Fact of the matter was this years crop lacked depth after Butcher,Talia,Griffiths.So why pick a KPP for the sake of it.
Thats what a rookie spot is for.
so black who few here would have seen live and carlisle are duds. blacks second half to the yr was outstanding not just against boys either.

any way i reckon when you have 8 nd picks thats what late picks are for. tell me again how many talls do we have and more importantly how many are established players.

Re: talls after the draft. still looks grim.

Big Cat Lover said:
But how far will we rise Leysy?

Will Webberly/Nason/Dea be integral to success?

Who do you see as our back 6 in 3 years time? The disposal of these guys along with defensive ability will go a long way to assisting an elite midfield achieve finals success. I see almost none of the exisiting back 6 ever being capable of elite football.

Currently we have King (terrible) Thursfield (good defender, limited offensive output) Polo (tries hard, disposal questionable, decision making questionable) Newman (poor defender, occassional good long kick), McGuane (see Polo and add undersized for role), Moore (ATM had one good year, undersized for key role, offensive qualities basically unknown).

Maybe Webberly will become a rebounding defender, Dea the same? Will they have the elite kicking of a Drummond, Hurn?

I respect Leysy's opinion but I think your respect for our key defenders (Moore/Thursfield/McGuane) is misplaced and will be found to be incorrect. I would suggest 2010 is a big year for determining these guys long-term future a KD with the club.

I look at the bulldogs as a great example of a club with elite footskills/midfielders/flankers being denied ultimate success because of a lack of quality talls, and this is something they have continually failed to address. I hope we don't end up with the same failed campaigns.

Fair enough there Big Cat. Wont go on with it, but you make some good points that leysy agrees with.

Just so you know (again). Dont rate McGuane. Was hoping Rance would join Thursfield as a key back. There are some question marks. As mentioned to you before would like to see another key back drafted, but only IF the recuiting staff rated one capable. Time will tell if Astbury does that or if Post can be released back.

One thing though, you write guys like, King, Polo, Newman (when backline) & off (quite rightly in general). Yet question the methods of the club when they try & address the quality of player in the back half. Guys that can negate body on body then run, create then distribute long & accurately are extremely valuable. wouldn't you agree. Gilbee, Fisher, Gram etc. If we can unearth (time will see) one or two from our picks this year it will help us no end in the future ILO.

GoodOne said:
On the whole we recruited well imo, my main question is on Dea who looks quite dashing but definitely has disposal deficiencies from the bits and pieces I've seen in the highlight reels. If we were going to pick someone with weaker disposal skills I would have preferred to risk it on one of the talls still available. at that pick

OK. We will see on Dea. What leysy hears is very good.

the claw said:
i dont see anyone advocating we take talls who cant kick. you failed to answer why webberley when we already took farmer in the trade period how many small defenders do you want. ditto with nason why. we took taylor at 51 and have morton gilligan nahas in the system. why not a tall who can kick not as if there wasnt any available.
and going by that rant can i assume you desperately want to see the back of mcguane sheesh dumb poor kick and undersized to go with it.

For a start Taylor is 189cm. We have Nahas only as a likely small forward. gilligan speculative. We need more, or havent you seen the amount of pressure forward lines are required to put on to try & negate all the run that backlines generate these days. Morton hasnt the agility to apply this.

As for Webberley, he is a Casserly type player. Massive kick, extremely evasive. Time will tell. As touched on previously hopefully out of him & Dea we get some more class out of our backline.

the claw said:
i have to say if you expect every pick we take to make it you are being unreasonable all clubs take punts on players what are late picks and rookie picks for. tell me maisey what do you think of astburys pace and agility.you rip into a bloke like nathan brown because he lacks agility but are rapped we took astbury you want it every which way.

WTF you in old son. Leysy has not mentioned Astbury once on here yet you go on about us being wrapped to take him. If your gunna have an old debate big fella get the right facts on board. Seeing as you asked on Astbury, havent got a lot on him so its been wait & see. If he does lack agility then yes leysy will be critical as he is on teh club when they make errors, reports suggest he is far quicker than his testing showed. Jacksons a stickler for big guys being able to move well. Time will tell early next year on this.

As for the rest of the old claw, Tango's, Big Cats & Goodone's post. Leysy reckons you all miss one point. Tell leysy if he's wrong but you lot seem to fall into the phantom trap of having to have a set amount of players fall into each certain group. Leysy's view - If the recruiting staff didnt rate anyone tall or thought who they do like would fall to the rookie draft hey should have left them.

Why should they do there homework all year, then say oh heck we dont rate this fella & I reckon we'll need to chop him in two years. & geez lets look over a couple of kids who we like just to get out number of talls "On Paper" up. That Panos kid was AA full forward will add to the list, never mind the fact he has no agility, leap, smarts & mediocre pace to get any seperation on his opponent. But by heck he'll get our Key position numbers up. He might eveb play more VFL seniors than Hughes.

The powers that have decided to take concerted effort to take what they deem quality Key position players early. Our first 2 round picks since 06' have only been - smalls - Edwards, Cotchin & Martin. But Talls in - Reiwoldt, Rance, Vickery, Post & Griffiths.

FJ will live & die by there research & decisions & ony time will tell. Leysy just cant see the point of adding certain players if the intelligence there paid to do says the chance is minimal.

Big Cat Lover said:
Are you saying that improves the quality?

Polak - strong hands, questionable disposal, LMID all he is capable of, better options for that position
Simmonds - useful on his day, past his best, undersized ruckman

Hopefully we ignore sentiment and Polak

Improves the quality? Not at all. But we do need mature bodies out there until the kids grow.
Worse thing we can do is throw these kids in the deep end and risk cutting their career's short

the claw said:
so black who few here would have seen live and carlisle are duds. blacks second half to the yr was outstanding not just against boys either.
Obviously something wrong with Black and Carlisle that the Recruiters saw in them when you take into account the needs of both Carlton,Western Bulldogs and Melb.All ignored both for a reason,A reason no doubt that no one knows from the outside.Besides we wern,t in a position to take all 3 [Griffiths],unless you think we should have ignored Martin :cutelaugh :cutelaugh :cutelaugh.

the claw said:
any way i reckon when you have 8 nd picks thats what late picks are for. tell me again how many talls do we have and more importantly how many are established players.
How many KPP,s who have made a successfull career after pick 50 compared to Mids claw?

GoodOne said:
and most of us are sick of the King / Raines / McGuane / McMahon types. This is very refreshing. However this does not mean that you ignore your deficiencies in player management in other areas for the sole sake of having players who are elite kicks.

Part of the culture problem at richmond was the belief that our development people could fix a kicking action under pressure.

GoodOne said:
Dont know why you're dumbfounded. I think very few have overlooked this fact. It is great that we have focused on players with excellent disposal skills and some long kickers as well. Good by foot should be a minimum for the majority of your players. This should be the drafting norm, not the exception, and most of us are sick of the King / Raines / McGuane / McMahon types. This is very refreshing. However this does not mean that you ignore your deficiencies in player management in other areas for the sole sake of having players who are elite kicks.

But nor should we draft talls for the sake of having more talls if they're assessed to be not up to AFL standard.

the claw said:
i dont see anyone advocating we take talls who cant kick. you failed to answer why webberley when we already took farmer in the trade period how many small defenders do you want. ditto with nason why. we took taylor at 51 and have morton gilligan nahas in the system. why not a tall who can kick not as if there wasnt any available.
and going by that rant can i assume you desperately want to see the back of mcguane sheesh dumb poor kick and undersized to go with it.

tell me maisey just how you would go about building up the tall stocks. i keep on saying it but people dont want to hear.
the numbers say a good percentage of the young talls we have taken in recent times wont make it.including some of the earlier picks in all likelyhood.
the development talls we have are, graham, post, rance, riewoldt, vickery, browne, gourdis,griffiths, astbury. the numbers tell us that in all likelyhood 4 of these players will fail. the only two in that lot im currently prepared to say will make it are jack and vickery.

i have to say if you expect every pick we take to make it you are being unreasonable all clubs take punts on players what are late picks and rookie picks for. tell me maisey what do you think of astburys pace and agility.you rip into a bloke like nathan brown because he lacks agility but are rapped we took astbury you want it every which way.

heres an angle for ya ben griffiths already 199 and 98 odd kg with his size you would expect him to totally dominate at junior level but he hasnt. people asked the question on hurn and rich about upside because of their size i dont see it here why is that.
i have to say nearly everything ive seen on griffiths he has had to get the ball in space will he get that space at afl level.im not knocking the guys taken but sheesh please tell me at what stage you would build the tall list. you dont want em early you dont want em late when do you want em.

decent kicks/decion makers in our team maisey would go like this.
farmer thursfield newman

moore post tambling

collins cousins martin

taylor riewoldt cotchin

connors ****** morton

simmonds deledio foley

vickery nahas thomson jackson

you have your team of decent kicks apart from 4 foley, nahas, thomson, jackson. they arent diabolical. in fact i would be happy to go with that team for rnd 1 the only trouble is we dont have a ff havent included griffiths because he will be recovering from injury we may not have him for 12 monthsya know your not the only one who goes mad about footskills but you presume when talking talls we want to take talls who cant kick. mate at some stage we have to address the tall situation. atm we are just treading water and skirting around the edges.
mate learn the lessons from those who are successful no team makes finals yet alone wins premierships without structure.some have even done well with what you call gorillas.
like well rounded footballers its well rounded teams that win gfs.

Re: Griffiths - no so Mr Craw.
Per the Griffiths thread he's never had / not going to have a reco - only a clean out - and will only have his arm in a sling for 3 weeks...so naaahhh!!

Leysy Days said:
Fair enough there Big Cat. Wont go on with it, but you make some good points that leysy agrees with.

Just so you know (again). Dont rate McGuane. Was hoping Rance would join Thursfield as a key back. There are some question marks. As mentioned to you before would like to see another key back drafted, but only IF the recuiting staff rated one capable. Time will tell if Astbury does that or if Post can be released back.

One thing though, you write guys like, King, Polo, Newman (when backline) & off (quite rightly in general). Yet question the methods of the club when they try & address the quality of player in the back half. Guys that can negate body on body then run, create then distribute long & accurately are extremely valuable. wouldn't you agree. Gilbee, Fisher, Gram etc. If we can unearth (time will see) one or two from our picks this year it will help us no end in the future ILO.

OK. We will see on Dea. What leysy hears is very good.

For a start Taylor is 189cm. We have Nahas only as a likely small forward. gilligan speculative. We need more, or havent you seen the amount of pressure forward lines are required to put on to try & negate all the run that backlines generate these days. Morton hasnt the agility to apply this.

As for Webberley, he is a Casserly type player. Massive kick, extremely evasive. Time will tell. As touched on previously hopefully out of him & Dea we get some more class out of our backline.

WTF you in old son. Leysy has not mentioned Astbury once on here yet you go on about us being wrapped to take him. If your gunna have an old debate big fella get the right facts on board. Seeing as you asked on Astbury, havent got a lot on him so its been wait & see. If he does lack agility then yes leysy will be critical as he is on teh club when they make errors, reports suggest he is far quicker than his testing showed. Jacksons a stickler for big guys being able to move well. Time will tell early next year on this.

As for the rest of the old claw, Tango's, Big Cats & Goodone's post. Leysy reckons you all miss one point. Tell leysy if he's wrong but you lot seem to fall into the phantom trap of having to have a set amount of players fall into each certain group. Leysy's view - If the recruiting staff didnt rate anyone tall or thought who they do like would fall to the rookie draft hey should have left them.

Why should they do there homework all year, then say oh heck we dont rate this fella & I reckon we'll need to chop him in two years. & geez lets look over a couple of kids who we like just to get out number of talls "On Paper" up. That Panos kid was AA full forward will add to the list, never mind the fact he has no agility, leap, smarts & mediocre pace to get any seperation on his opponent. But by heck he'll get our Key position numbers up. He might eveb play more VFL seniors than Hughes.

The powers that have decided to take concerted effort to take what they deem quality Key position players early. Our first 2 round picks since 06' have only been - smalls - Edwards, Cotchin & Martin. But Talls in - Reiwoldt, Rance, Vickery, Post & Griffiths.

FJ will live & die by there research & decisions & ony time will tell. Leysy just cant see the point of adding certain players if the intelligence there paid to do says the chance is minimal.

Leysy makes some good points and as you say, time will tell - hopefully the recruiters have earnt their $$.

Leysy Days said:

How long will we remain in this trap? We've been short of talls for a very long time and we don't seem to be too addressing it in any rush. Picking young players at draft time is very subjective, especially with your lower picks. Why not bite the bullet and draft a few more talls? I don't believe for one minute that the Richmond recruiters had a line through every tall after Pick 40. I believe that rightly the Tigers are trying to address the backline deficiencies in terms of quality running players. But we need to address our tall key position players first, as they do take slightly longer to mature, and they are a damn sight harder to find than half back and back pocket players.

GoodOne said:
How long will we remain in this trap? We've been short of talls for a very long time and we don't seem to be too addressing it in any rush. Picking young players at draft time is very subjective, especially with your lower picks. Why not bite the bullet and draft a few more talls? I don't believe for one minute that the Richmond recruiters had a line through every tall after Pick 40. I believe that rightly the Tigers are trying to address the backline deficiencies in terms of quality running players. But we need to address our tall key position players first, as they do take slightly longer to mature, and they are a damn sight harder to find than half back and back pocket players.

This is all fine and dandy . But I am more intersted in hearing from you and claw as to what your ideas are in regards to structure, game plan and philosophies. I mean both you and Claw after this idea of drafting all these talls yet I hear nothing about how you would implement them in your stratergies. After all players are drafted to suit the coach's plans and ideas.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Obviously something wrong with Black and Carlisle that the Recruiters saw in them when you take into account the needs of both Carlton,Western Bulldogs and Melb.All ignored both for a reason,A reason no doubt that no one knows from the outside.Besides we wern,t in a position to take all 3 [Griffiths],unless you think we should have ignored Martin :cutelaugh :cutelaugh :cutelaugh.
How many KPP,s who have made a successfull career after pick 50 compared to Mids claw?

I have done a bit of looking at previous drafts and have listed the best post 50 KPP & best mids post 50 taken since 1997 - stats from Footywire

It really shows how lucky the crows were to get Bock & Rutten in the rookie draft and Hentschel in PSD in 2001. That same year Lake went at 71.

One thing the stats show, most KPP players taken after 50 end up as backmen - not sure if they played junior careers in those roles.

I'd guess you are not going to get a gun forward but you have a chance to get a good key defender with a later pick

In that time, the best KPP taken after the first round but before 50 include

Goodes - Pick 43
Fevola - Pick 38
A Hunter - Pick 29
D Petrie - Pick 23
S Rocca - Pick 30
D Merrett - Pick 30
Z Dawson - Pick 41
A Carlisle - Pick 44
K Tippett - Pick 32
T Pears - Pick 23

1997 DRAFT
Best KPP
A Kellaway - Pick 71
N Thompson - Pick 82
M Bishop - rookie

Best Mids
P Read - Pick 60
G Rigoni - Pick 77
R Vandenburg - Pick 78
G Tivendale - rookie
D Rioli - rookie
C Fletcher - rookie
T Lockyer - rookie

Best KPP
R Hall - Pick 79
K McGregor - Pick 75
I Prendergast - Pick 58
K Kingsley - rookie

Best Mids
A Embley - Pick 57
Betheras - Pick 76
Kirk - rookie

Best KPP
T Hotton - Pick 86
N Carroll - rookie

Best Mids
R O'Keefe - Pick 56
B Johnson - Pick 62
C Bruce - Pick 64
R Houlihan - Pick 73
Doughty - rookie
Kennelly - rookie

Best KPP
S Wakelin - Pick 49
T WIlson - PSD

Best Mids
Cassisi - Pick 50
A Buchanan - Pick 52
Newman - Pick 55
Cross - Pick 56
L Harding - rookie
D Peverill - rookie
M Rooke - rookie

Best KPP
J Waite - Pick 46
B Lake - Pick 71
B Miller - Pick 55
Hentschel - PSD
Bock - rookie
Rutten - Rookie
Q Lynch - rookie
B Thornton - rookie

Best Mids
D Swan - Pick 58
Schnieder - Pick 60
M Boyd - rookie
M Mattner - rookie

KPP
Boyle - Pick 51
R Ferguson - Pick 66
C Bolton - PSD
M Firrito - rookie (FB or Mid?)

Mids -
Sewell - rookie
Osborne - rookie
Bevan - rookie
Byrnes - rookie
Moloney - PSD
A Selwood - Pick 53
Shirley - Pick 56

KPP
S Fisher - Pick 55
M Johnson - PSD

Mids
D Jackson - Pick 53
Richitelli - Pick 61
S Tuck - Pick 73
Davey - rookie
Foley - rookie
B Jones - rookie
A Lovett - rookie

KPP
M Egan - Pick 62
Thursfield - rookie
D Morris - rookie
Grundy - rookie

Mids
C Knights - Pick 56
Pearce - rookie
Crowley - rookie

KPP
Patfull - pick 56
Gilham - rookie

Mids
Bartram - Pick 60
Priddis - rookie
Jack - rookie
McGlynn - rookie
Logan - rookie
M White - psd

KPP
J Westoff - Pick 71
J White - Pick 79
Jamison - rookie

Mids
R Gray - Pick 55
J Hill - Pick 61
A Collins - Pick 71
C Jones - rookie
S Wellingham - rookie

MIDS WIN

KPP
C Hooker - Pick 54
T Walker - Pick 75

Mids
B Dalziell - Pick 52
C Bird - Pick 59
Joseph - rookie
McQualter - rookie

Good effort there BCL. :clap :clap
As it shows inparticular from the 00,s onwards club,s preferred Rookie spots for speculative KPP,s with a few exceptions in Lake[Harris],Waite,Fisher and Egan.

White Lightning said:
This is all fine and dandy . But I am more intersted in hearing from you and claw as to what your ideas are in regards to structure, game plan and philosophies. I mean both you and Claw after this idea of drafting all these talls yet I hear nothing about how you would implement them in your stratergies. After all players are drafted to suit the coach's plans and ideas.
Its simple when it comes to Claw,s rationale.Its all an ego trip for him.He think,s he,s God,s gift to Recruiting. :hihi :hihi :hihi

GoodOne said:
Just out of curiosity which tall would you have chosen after Pick 40 if you were in Francis' position?

GoodOne said:
How long will we remain in this trap? We've been short of talls for a very long time and we don't seem to be too addressing it in any rush. Picking young players at draft time is very subjective, especially with your lower picks. Why not bite the bullet and draft a few more talls?

Because we don't believe they will make it. I'll say again why should we draft talls for the sake of having more talls if they're assessed to be not up to AFL standard? Draft them next year when there will reportedly be more available.

To critisise the recruitment policy of this draft, you would have to imply that they are not aware of our need for talls.

What if they have a 4 year plan to take 8-9 talls all within the first 3 rounds?

Year 1: Pick 8, Pick 26 (Vickery and Post)
Year 2: Pick 19, Pick 34? (Griffiths and Astbury)
Year 3: ? ?
Year 4: ? ?

We could end up getting a handful of quality talls without wasting an entire draft in sheer HOPE of finding one by weight of numbers. That method is extremely wasteful, especially when you believe there are good medium players available with potential to replace the average ones you complain about now.

At the end of the rebuild, the numbers will add up. It's too early to argue against their process when we don't know their blueprint for future draft picks.

rockstar_tiger said:
To critisise the recruitment policy of this draft, you would have to imply that they are not aware of our need for talls.

What if they have a 4 year plan to take 8-9 talls all within the first 3 rounds?

Year 1: Pick 8, Pick 26 (Vickery and Post)
Year 2: Pick 19, Pick 34? (Griffiths and Astbury)
Year 3: ? ?
Year 4: ? ?

We could end up getting a handful of quality talls without wasting an entire draft in sheer HOPE of finding one by weight of numbers. That method is extremely wasteful, especially when you believe there are good medium players available with potential to replace the average ones you complain about now.

At the end of the rebuild, the numbers will add up. It's too early to argue against their process when we don't know their blueprint for future draft picks.
This is an excellent point and I suspect is exactly what they're doing. Plus Rance at 18 (and Putt at 51, Gourdis PSD) in 2007, Browne rookied in 2008. You'd think we'll rookie a couple of talls this year too. Sound policy, use our first rounder on the best mid, which most teams do, then there's always value on talls in the next couple of rounds.

Leysy Days said:
The greater risk will be if we dont get enough well rounded highly footskilled players into our team.

That is the point that has been lost in all this hyperbole. For decades our problem has stemmed from the simple fact our team has had deplorable footskills.
How many times have we lost games because we didnt have enough talls at either end, not many.

Now how many have we tried harder, got enough of the ball but continually turned it over whether coming out of defence or trying to find a simple leading target in the forward 50. Bloody millions.

For the first draft/trade period EVER. We have taken guys that are all reputedly & look to be good to elite by foot. With that vastly underestimated benefit of some long kicks amongst them - see Martin, Griffiths & Webberley.

Its a watershed for this club that leysy is dumbfounded it seems everyone has overlooked whilst they go on about some big doper bugger at pick whatever being overlooked.

Leysy's said it for years, but If we keep taking skilled by foot guys so long as they have generally rounded games whilst keeping a sembence of a spine we will rise. Make no mistake.
Agree

Leysy makes good sense for a Taswegian.

Just as a matter of interest, once Fitzpatrick and Taylor were taken at 50 and 51, the only genuine tall from this year's draft pool that was drafted is James Craig at 61. Everyone else is either a midfielder/flanker, a recycled AFL player or an upgraded rookie. Markovic, the only exception is 23 and has been thereabouts for a few years, without ever being considered good enough to get on a list until this year.

It suggests that all of the 16 teams consider the talls that are left to be rookies at best. Nobody was prepared to give up primary list spot on any of them, suggesting that they are considered speculative and a long way from a senior game.

Re: Ben Nason Pick 71

we are a team without a recognised FFwd, i cant understand why this area wasnt targeted with at least 2 speculative picks as opposed to a small fwd - regardless of how good he is
granted we took griffiths but how long till he plays and astbury may play back

there is no point having a great sterio in the ferrari (fwd pocket) if the engine, suspension or braking is *smile*

to me this was a wasted opportunity and i would rather park a temel or a panos in our goalsquare than a small fwd