The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged)

Barnzy said:
If his body holds up which I doubt it will. Besides, we get Bradshaw for a year or two, he comes in and kicks 50 goals, we finish 14th instead of 16th and get worse picks and it also halts the development of JR and co. I know which option I'd rather and it isn't the quick fix one.

Exactly! Bradshaw would've been a mistake of the same type that we've made repeatedly over the last 10 years!

U2Tigers said:
yeah lkiked reading claws rants - words of wisdom -

but I worry we would have only had WA players in our team - he loved to talk them up over others states players.

On that point, where is Claw. Does he still post or has he been booted?

It's funny how many mistakes we want to forgive Craig Cameron for, whose full time job it is to get things right, but all anyone wants to do is hang Claw out for the Sampi call.

Was right about a lot of things the old Claw.

SCOOP said:
It's funny how many mistakes we want to forgive Craig Cameron for, whose full time job it is to get things right, but all anyone wants to do is hang Claw out for the Sampi call.

Was right about a lot of things the old Claw.

claw was incredibly self righteous, provocative and insulting, so its no surprise that he got hoisted by his own petard when he made extremely poor calls. And Sampi wasn't the only poor call on a player.

Tango said:
my point is claw was an advocate of taking bradshaw and most people on here shot him down, bradshaw is proving he still has a lot to offer for this and another season - which by then our talls should be ok

Bradshaw? What for? Why on earth as a rebuilding team would we trade for an over 30 year old, who has probably 2 seasons left in him if he's lucky. I really don't understand the logic. We have Polak, Astbury, Rance, Reiwoldt all named in the forward line. Rotate them through the forward line so that they can gain invaluable experience, don't line up our structure with a 30+ yo and kick everything to him.

Claw deserved to be shot down on this one.

GoodOne said:
Bradshaw? What for? Why on earth as a rebuilding team would we trade for an over 30 year old, who has probably 2 seasons left in him if he's lucky. I really don't understand the logic. We have Polak, Astbury, Rance, Reiwoldt all named in the forward line. Rotate them through the forward line so that they can gain invaluable experience, don't line up our structure with a 30+ yo and kick everything to him.

Claw deserved to be shot down on this one.

Goody, I agree that Bradshaw was not a good fit for us however the logic is not that far off.

What for?
Same reason why we would have played Richo this year and probably next if he were fit enough, except Bradshaw kicks more goals.
Same reason we drafted Cousins - leadership and experience and take the heat of the kids like Riewoldt, Astbury and Rance.
Think you may have mistyped Polak as one to "gain invaluable experience". Would definately prefer Bradshaw to Polak as our experienced senior forward which is why Polak was rookied.

The price was not too bad for us in the sense that we are and will struggle to meet the minimum salary cap over the next two or three years at least with all our new recruits.
The main point is that Bradshaw was NEVER going to come to Richmond.

RedanTiger said:
Goody, I agree that Bradshaw was not a good fit for us however the logic is not that far off.

What for?
Same reason why we would have played Richo this year and probably next if he were fit enough, except Bradshaw kicks more goals.
Same reason we drafted Cousins - leadership and experience and take the heat of the kids like Riewoldt, Astbury and Rance.
Think you may have mistyped Polak as one to "gain invaluable experience". Would definately prefer Bradshaw to Polak as our experienced senior forward which is why Polak was rookied.

The price was not too bad for us in the sense that we are and will struggle to meet the minimum salary cap over the next two or three years at least with all our new recruits.
The main point is that Bradshaw was NEVER going to come to Richmond.

Richo as I understand was not going to play forward but more of the previous role he played on the wing (which earned him a 3rd in the Brownlow). This would have still given the forwards valuable experience in the forward line and allow Richo to part with his irrefutable knowledge. The fact, however, is that Richo is not at Richmond this year, so the point of what he 'would' have done is pretty mute. Cousins, well its panning out to have been a waste of time in my opinion. Cant seem to get onto the ground alot and when he does just isnt performing the way he used to or anywhere near. Pace seems to have caught up with him. Hopefully he is parting with some knowledge, however, the fact that Deledio is playing of CHB now, you have to question what influence Cousins is actually having on other players. Polak was already at the Tigers and cost us virtually nothing to keep him on. Bradshaw would have cost us, and I just dont see the point in giving up valuable draft picks for him. I dont think we were in the best position pecking order wise to attract Bradshaw to Richmond, meaning we would have had to give up more.

I need to stop thinking about this because the more I think about it the more I wonder why you would contemplate Bradshaw at the Tigers - other than to reduce our embarrassing losses this year by a goal or two.

richo playing on the wing finished his career, had he stayed in the fwd line he may have hung on but im not sad to see him go and let the kids develop

the argument was a bradshaw over a polak, not at the expense of a kid - polak is a dud as is simmons we kept them bot but should have tried to get bradshaw instead of keeping polak

in the end polak cost us a pick or a kid and thats something

Tango said:
the argument was a bradshaw over a polak, not at the expense of a kid - polak is a dud as is simmons we kept them bot but should have tried to get bradshaw instead of keeping polak

in the end polak cost us a pick or a kid and thats something

Bradshaw would have cost us Dylan Grimes (or perhaps a player in the rookie draft).

Polak gave us an extra spot through his delisting, and was pick 62 in the rookie draft, our last active pick.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

skybeau said:
Bradshaw would have cost us Dylan Grimes (or perhaps a player in the rookie draft).

Polak gave us an extra spot through his delisting, and was pick 62 in the rookie draft, our last active pick.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

Yep I dont understand what he's geting at either. Polak cost us nothing. Bradshaw would have cost us much more for a short-term but medium-term loss. Cant see the logic in it at all.

Yeah why woyuld we want a player who would be a walk up start who would provide a target up forward.

why would we want to try and stay competitive fro the next few years -

Bradshaw is proven and you watch will play another 3 years minimum.

A target up forward - I dream of the day - why in earth would we have wanted that. ::)

U2Tigers said:
Yeah why woyuld we want a player who would be a walk up start who would provide a target up forward.

The club has already said this season is not about wins but development. Why don't you get that through your head? If they wanted to win so badly Richo would've been kept on and played whenever he could get on the park along with the other 30+ year old's that were sent packing. Exactly why saying we should've got Bradshaw is ludicrous. Bradshaw comes in and instantly halts the development of Riewoldt and co. He propels us to 14th instead of 16th with 50 or so goals, we get worse draft picks, he retires and we're no better off.

U2Tigers said:

Few years...what are you smoking? Bradshaw has 1 season left max 2 and will no doubt get injured during that time, his body is nearly shot. Long history of injuries and it continued this preseason.

U2Tigers said:

Nope. Won't happen.

U2Tigers said:

A target up forward - I dream of the day - why in earth would we have wanted that. ::)

So what would Bradshaw actually do for us longer term? Are you suggesting that Bradshaw might help with the development of a young team by having a target up forward?

My problem here is tht I don't think Bradshaw is that great a player. He played with a team that had 3 Brownlow medallists in the midfield and guys like Lappin and Power ramming it down his throat.

He has done OK at Sydney, but time will tell how much he has left in the tank.

For mine, the club said it wanted to go for youth and a long term development plan. I don't see how Bradshaw would have fitted into that plan, I just don't.