The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Lack of Talls on Our List (Merged)

I'm neither here nor there on Bradshaw.

Would be handy, but I prefer using the pick on a kid. Interesting that Claw's gone 180 degrees on getting an experienced tall to guide the kids in a rebuild. Very strong against from my memory in 2004.

Congratulations to Jayden Post who turns 20 today :birthday

So we have to build a forward line around Jack R(21), Post(20) and Vickery(19).

Hayfever said:
Rubbish. He's acknowledging realities like losing Richo earlier than expected after cleaning out our forward stocks of those not up to standard....... and the need to take pressure off the tall youngsters we do have faith in like Riewoldt, Vickery and Post.
By taking Bradshaw,Thats one spot less for one of these unknown quality Talls that we supposidly ignored in the ND.

baloo

how can you say that a 21 YO playing reserves in the sanfl (naylor) is a 40% chance more of making it
and an 18 yO (temel) kicking multiple goals in the best U18 comp in the country is a 10%

thats garbage

Tango said:
how can you say that a 21 YO playing reserves in the sanfl (naylor) is a 40% chance more of making it
and an 18 yO (temel) kicking multiple goals in the best U18 comp in the country is a 10%

FFS, the numbers are hypothetical (and I said 25%). Just a means to try and illustrate argument. But you've actually validated it anyway, thanks.

But to answer your question... Me ? I can't. I have no idea. But I'm counting on our recruiters to be able to tell who is the better chance of making it as an AFL player.

If they can't do it, why do we have them ?

Re: Permission to train list

Streak said:
You are signing my song. I felt that while he wasn't the answer, Sylvester gave us a big bodied FB, and our defence looked so much better. Thrusty in particular looked so much more damaging when he wasn'ty fighting out of his weight division.

We have to find one, even a stop gap like the big cat.

i agree, structually he did make us look better even tho he was avg. would have thought it was clear as day that we desperately need a proper KPD streak.

we now are building a very very good mid, have a few small fwds, have riew/post/vickery/gourdis for tall fwds, have small & mid tallish backs (below 194cm).

all we are cleary lacking is a proper FB and CHB. astbury may be able to fill one spot, but thats putting all ur eggs in one basket. would hope we would have about three 195+cm talls options for these two positions.

rather have the big bodied FB rather than pin my hopes on a 192cm defender becoming a scarlet type player CC.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
TF.Claw is to clever for his own good.By wanting Bradshaw he,s actually acknowledging that this years KP crop is exactly what the experts were saying.
not at all. with so much experience gone taking a young tall wont help post riewolt griffiths on field now. it was okay to go after cuz because he could give guidance to the kiddies but hay hes a mid and thats okay.
its exactly the same with bradshaw.
its only been since richo anounced his retirement that ive called for a mature tall player to help out. bradshaw just hppens to be avail;able is quality and would fill in for the short term while our kids are given time. the simple fact is because of lousy list management there is now a real need to get a mature tall it might as well be one of quality.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Nope.I don,t holdup BF poster,s as gods like Barnzy ;D
Listening to various interveiws from those in the know from within the industry.It was pretty common knowledge.But i forgive you.You do live in Perth and WA is a fair bit behind us.Here,s a scoop for ya mate.KB just announced his retirement from Footy. ;D :hihi :hihi :hihi
oh no tell me your kidding we are in strife with kb gone.
IanG said:
I'm replying to a few posts fro overnight here.

How is Bradshaw an option 3-5 years down the track?

We still have the rookie and PSDs.

Oh crap, there have been good reasons given. And no I'm not saying Nason and Webberly are automatically quality thats you putting words in peoples mouths yet again. You just want to criticise the club yet again and are going to lok pretty silly if we take 2-3 talls in the PSD and rookie drafts. I thought you wanted to use te rooie drafts for speculative picks? Thats what you were saying when you complained about us using it for depth players 2 years ago.

Exactly, and thats exactly what claw has wanted us to do in the past.

What crap. 1 year you want the rookie draft to be used for speculative picks, the next year when it loooks like the club is actually doing that you insist that the ND be used for those picks. You chop and change to suit your agenda of criticising the club at every.
on bradshaw hes not hes a short term fix. imo its a needed short term fix. we need some experienced talls around our kids there is only simmonds.richo really threw a spanner in the works.

yes we still have the rookie and psd drafts we had damn well better use it on tallss. 4 would do with 4 we might find one decent one.

no im not the counter argument to webberly and nason being taken over talls because they are percieved as less speculative is they are just as speculative as any tall we may have taken at pick 71. the numbers tend to back this up.

hands up and tell me if we took 5 smalls late in the draft pick 60 onwards how would you expect to make it. draftying after a certian point in the draft is indeed a numbers game and yeah you still look for good qualities that may help a player make it.

finally what i have wanted us to do in the past has not changed i want us to load up with kids i want us to target an area and go for it. ive already stated we cant fix our tall situation doing the one thing ie taking a couple of talls with earlyish mid range picks we need to also load up late build the stockpile up to around 20 on the list and then prune back.that has never changed the more we fail to do this the other factors do indeed come into it.
if we take 3 more talls this yr even 4 we will have gone backwards. when the list should be growing in numbers it is indeed going backwards. if you take em late dont expect a high success rate.thats why you load up.its a combination of quality early hopefully and numbers late.now that has never changed . common sense says the better talls are going to be there earlyto mid draft no one can tell me that we should not have targeted a tall with one of picks 44 51 67 71. 44 was probably the one.

in looking forward what i want done is for one more to be delisted take bradshaw at 2 and the best available young tall at psd 6 or 7. we know this wont happen.we then take another tall rookie pick 7 i think our first picki suppose people are going to tell me there are no talls worth taking a punt on with these picks its what they have indeed said from pick 35 onwards in the nd draft what a nonsense that is.

toothless said:
maguire would have been a good fit...

What? Yet another 3rd tall defender? He's only 190cm you know.

keepa lids onit said:
i agree, structually he did make us look better even tho he was avg. would have thought it was clear as day that we desperately need a proper KPD streak.

we now are building a very very good mid, have a few small fwds, have riew/post/vickery/gourdis for tall fwds, have small & mid tallish backs (below 194cm).

all we are cleary lacking is a proper FB and CHB. astbury may be able to fill one spot, but thats putting all ur eggs in one basket. would hope we would have about three 195+cm talls options for these two positions.

rather have the big bodied FB rather than pin my hopes on a 192cm defender becoming a scarlet type player CC.

Could you please let leysy know all of these 195+cm key backs that it seems all good defences need at full back & CHB.

Cheers.

Leysy Days said:
Could you please let leysy know all of these 195+cm key backs that it seems all good defences need at full back & CHB.

Cheers.
Now Brian you know that every club has at least 2 195+ KBs in the starting 22 plus another 2 on the list

out of interest can someone tell me who all these fantastic 195+ defenders playing at the moment are?

Tango said:
oh boy we are getting some beauties now?

how can taylor be classed as a tall or a KPP - get real, apart from the fact that he is a skinny kid and we are talking genuine players with body size and strength to protect our skinny kids

So no skinny kids have ever become key position players? Taylor has played all his footy so far at full forward or centre half forward. So well did he play these roles at the carnival that draft experts like Burgan and Quayle rated him well within their top 25's.

His strengths (speed, reach, leap, marking & kicking) are prototypical for a full forward.

No, he doesn't have genuine size or strength yet and won't protect our other key position prospects, but this doesn't mean he isn't a legitimate full forward prospect himself. Full forward is still a key position isn't it?

Tango said:
lets not hide the facts,
we dont have enough talls - fact,
the club have chosen to draft smaller players who are believed to be a better chance at making it - regardless of our desperate need for talls - fact

Here's another fact for ya - we still have 6 picks to go in 2 drafts before our list is finalised.

the claw said:
yep so many debates get mired in sheesh for want of a better word silliness. its easy to deflect from the problem. welcome tango to claws world. what the fools dont realise with this sort of deflection it just makes me more determined.

disco doesnt really believe taylor is a kp but just by suggesting it it adds weight to his argument .it deflects from what has been done all of a sudden we are debating taylor being a kpp which is a nonsense.
the king of defenders of all things richmond is disco. going by his comments one would have to conclude he has not even seen a highlight reel of taylor thats how nonsensical it is but thats where debates get dragged on this site.

Other than saying Taylor is a potential key position prospect, what argument am I trying to make?

Every time I disagree with you, you wheel out this moronic garbage. Seriously, is it that hard to just talk footy?

Talls in AFL are now in the 192cm-195cm range. There doesn't seem to be that many 195cm+ players around anymore, and the ones that are around get overlooked in large numbers. Look at Ben Griffiths - a 198cm kid who can seriously play and he slipped all the way to pick 19.

I would be happy to get Panos and load up on the goal kickers. At least with a genuine FF, the team will always have some structure.

Sylvestor was 191cm btw.

I have been through most lists in the league, and I may be missing something, but I fail to see many 195cm+ KPD that are around.

Tigerbob said:
Sylvestor was 191cm btw.

I have been through most lists in the league, and I may be missing something, but I fail to see many 195cm+ KPD that are around.

Yeah its funny, Richo was 195cm (some sites list him at 197cm) and their was too many KPD who were his size. As someone said Scarlett is 192 cm and I think hes a reasonable KPD, IIRC ;D

gustiger12 said:
Yeah its funny, Richo was 195cm (some sites list him at 197cm) and their was too many KPD who were his size. As someone said Scarlett is 192 cm and I think hes a reasonable KPD, IIRC ;D

Scarlett......pphhttt......he will never make it !!! ;D

we may have 6 picks disco but we dont have the next 6 best
if we had of used 2 in the ND we would have the choice of the best left on the table
we now have to compete with other clubs at the PSD - yes we will get the best as we have first live pick but after that its a scramble and who knows whats left

Our PSD pick is basically the same as an ND pick (except for the fact we only have to give the recruit a one year deal) and it looks like only Melbourne will have a shot at a junior before us in the rookie draft.

keepa lids onit said:

woudl play astbury forward and maybe post back.

if we take grimes with psd i woudl also take kyle hartigan in the rookie draft if available. he's one of those 194cm big bodied defenders.