'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

'The Hafey years' book by Elliot Cartledge [Merged]

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
One of our PRE forum members has written a book about Tommy. RFC will announce it next week and it will be available for purchase from the Club. That's the recommended option for purpose as proceeds stay with the club that way.

Stay tuned for how you can win a copy of this book.

I can't wait to read it. :D

In association with the Richmond Football Club, Past Players' Association and RFC historians, with the full participation of those who were there, comes the remarkable story of the Hafey era at Tigerland...

HAFEY SHEEDY BOURKE PARKIN BALME STEWART WALLS BARROT CROWE KEKOVICH PITURA RICHARDSON DEAN MCKAY GUINANE GREEN CLAY and a host of other former players, coaches and officials tell their stories in:

The Hafey Years - reliving the golden era of Tigerland

Foreword by Tim Lane

Published July 2011

Extract:

Hafey coached the Tigers from 1966 to 1976, then joined Collingwood. Some of his Tigers were critical of his supposedly simplistic methods, yet he took the last-placed Magpies to a grand final the very next season and into three subsequent grand finals over the next four seasons.

Indeed, it has been suggested that had Collingwood possessed an administrator like Graeme Richmond, the club would have easily matched Hafey’s record at the Tigers.

He went on to coach Geelong and the Sydney Swans and finished in 1988. Overall, he coached four clubs in 522 games for a winning rate of 65 per cent. There are only two coaches who shade him in this regard, Jock McHale (66 per cent) and *smile* Reynolds (67 per cent) – and they coached at just one club. If Hafey’s record at the Tigers is isolated the figures are even more impressive; 173 victories from 248 games – a winning percentage of just under 70 per cent.

How did he do it? And how did a struggling and impoverished inner-city club break free from a quarter century of mediocrity to dominate the competition to the extent it was equally feared as loathed?

It is a remarkable story.

There are cloak and dagger dealings, brilliant recruiting, far-sighted strategising, punch ups, bitter disputes, astonishing performances, enduring controversies and fame and infamy in equal measures. Given Richmond’s barren record since Hafey left, the club’s followers are held ransom to a glorious past while tentatively hopeful of a better future.

Of note, former star wingman and full-back *smile* Clay returned to the club late in the 2010 season to present a jumper to young debutant Dylan Grimes. He spoke for his generation when he said ‘we’d be the first to admit we’ve had enough of the accolades and the pats on the back…it’s time the wheel turned’.

Thus far, the wheel hasn’t turned at all; the Hafey era at Tigerland remains the most glorious. His teams played finals seven times in 11 years and, since he departed, the club has made it through to September just five times in 34 years.

Over those 34 seasons, the Tigers have averaged nine wins per season. In Hafey’s time, it was closer to 16. Even more remarkably, just once in Hafey’s 11-year reign did Richmond’s scoring aggregate total less than the teams it opposed.

----

It is not for wanting that a more recent history is not presented here. But for that lament, it is timely that a golden era is chronicled and remarkable deeds brought to life.

Here then is a tale of the Tigers and a tale of the time. It is a tale of Hart, Sheedy and Bartlett, the notoriety of Balme, Windy Hill and the Pitura affair, the drama of the Barrot trade and the Stewart fairytale. A tale of off-field struggles then swagger, a tale of ruthless pursuit and ultimate downfall; a tale of controversy and contentment.

It also echoes parts of a long-gone Melbourne, whereby champion sportsmen owned milk bars or pubs or worked nine-to-five in offices or in a trade. Where six games were played on a Saturday and the late edition of The Herald or Sporting Globe would announce the scores.

Where seemingly every AM radio station covered the footy and went ‘around the grounds’ to ‘Skeeter’ Coghlan or Hughie Mitchell, where Ian Major constantly reminded listeners that ‘3KZ is football’ and Channel Seven’s World Of Sport was compulsory viewing on a Sunday morning.

The city lived for football and stopped for football. And with four flags in eight seasons, soaring crowds, headline after headline and a host of household names, the Tigers – for a moment in time – ruled the land.

Re: New Book about Tommy Hafey

Despite Coaching 3 other clubs he still talks about "my Tigers ".

Gun Coach and great Richmond man .

Now that will be a keeper-wont be able to wait for fathers day unfortunately!

Sintiger said:

Robert Walls does the same with Carlton, thank God he doesnt say "my Tigers"

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
YOU'RE a Legend Mr Tom Hafey.

And still the last person to coach the RFC to consecutive finals series, 1974-75. Staggering stat. Also considering that it was actually a five year streak (1971-75).

Sintiger said:

That is what I love about him. You can detect his love of the Tigers everytime he talks on footy.

Tom Hafey should be held in even higher regard than Ted whitten. So many coaches he has produced so much success and what an outstanding role model. The last of the great men.

Who is the Forum member Rosy?

The forum member is EJC. I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss the book and answer any questions.

The book was commissioned to write to coincide with and help celebrate Tom Hafey's 80th birthday. What a lovely pressie for Tommy. :birthday

Just had a Captain Cook at Tommy's wikipedia page and I found this interesting:

"Richmond began 1966 in brilliant form. A month before the finals, they hit the top of the ladder for the first time since 1951 and seemed certain to play in September. But two losses relegated the Tigers to fifth place with thirteen wins and a draw, the best performed team to miss out since the inception of the McIntyre finals system in 1931. Stung by the near miss, Richmond cleared a number of players who failed in the two crucial defeats and boosted by two champion new players in Royce Hart and Francis Bourke, dominated the 1967 season, running out winners in a classic Grand Final against Geelong."

Any of you old-timers out there have any idea who the cleared players were?

23.21.159 said:
Any of you old-timers out there have any idea who the cleared players were?
I don't really know and not being an "old timer " I can't remember ;D
However one player it could be who is interesting is Barry cameron . He finished then. I have met him and he said he missed out on the glory years after years of hard slog .
Barry Cameron is of course Craig Cameron's father

Well before my time, but did Paddy Guinane finish then?