The definitive leadership poll | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The definitive leadership poll

Who would you prefer to be Prime Minister..if you had to have one of them?

• Julia Gillard

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Kevin Rudd

Votes: 13 48.1%

• Total voters
Big Cat Lover said:
Reckon a few posters need to take the blinkers off and prepare themsleves for the inevitable

Regardless, now that this distraction is out of the way, I'm looking forward to seeing some factual policies from Abbott leading into the election.

Big Cat Lover said:
Reckon a few posters need to take the blinkers off and prepare themsleves for the inevitable

No blinkers here. Still wouldn't be backing them with your money. 18 months is a long time though. Barrie Cassidy made the point this morning that Keating 93 and Howard 2001 made bigger turnarounds in the polls in much shorter times.

Tigers of Old said:
Regardless, now that this distraction is out of the way, I'm looking forward to seeing some factual policies from Abbott leading into the election.

He's given us a few already. Cut taxes to miners, repeal the private healthcare rebate means test ($2.5 bill to people who don't need it), repeal the carbon tax.

tigersnake said:
He's given us a few already. Cut taxes to miners, repeal the private healthcare rebate means test ($2.5 bill to people who don't need it), repeal the carbon tax.

... and return to surplus.

Tigers of Old said:

Is it out of the way?

Why would Tony risk anything? If your opponent is self-destructing you can sit back, grab some marshmellows and sing kumbaya.

As snake says, there is 18 months to go.

Big Cat Lover said:
Is it out of the way?

Is everyone in the Liberal party united behind Abbott or does Turnbull still have some support?

I reckon this is it. That was a comprehensive win today and any third party had the opportunity to nominate against Gillard/Rudd today. They didn't.
It would be suicide for the party to have another challenger arise much closer to the election.
Gillard will be PM up until the next election. Beyond that we'll see I guess.

Big Cat Lover said:
Why would Tony risk anything? If your opponent is self-destructing you can sit back, grab some marshmellows and sing kumbaya.

That might work for you 18 months out but as things get closer people will scrutinise policy more closely.
Gillard will now have an opportunity to attack Abbott without the back room distraction of Rudd.
At least that will make it a fair race and then the people will decide.

Tigers of Old said:
Is everyone in the Liberal party united behind Abbott or does Turnbull still have some support?

Turnbull only has support from Labor and the left and only because to them he is a more palatable option than Abbott.

Big Cat Lover said:

no blinkers here.
just saying in the few hours after the vote they were saying all the right things. obviously that is the easy bit, but if they can continue that they will be a lot better placed to compete at the next election.

jb03 said:
Turnbull only has support from Labor and the left and only because to them he is a more palatable option than Abbott.

If you remember jimbob, Turnbull was only defeated by Abbott by one vote in their most recent leadership challenge.

Brodders17 said:
no blinkers here.
just saying in the few hours after the vote they were saying all the right things. obviously that is the easy bit, but if they can continue that they will be a lot better placed to compete at the next election.

You are correct that is the easy bit and they definitely need a united front if they are to have any chance at the next election.

Tigers of Old said:
Gillard will be PM up until the next election. Beyond that we'll see I guess.

Can't see it. Gillard has to continue her inept running of the country in the meantime. Would like evens on her being history before 2012 is out.

jb03 said:
I don't see it that way. My view would be that any chance Labor has of winning the next election would disappear if Turnbull was leader of the Coalition. The remaining support Labor has from centrists who are uncomfortable with voting for a right winger like Abbott would evaporate.
The reason they will probably not change is that they believe they will win with Abbott anyway.

Many people within the Liberal party see Turnbull as Labor people see Rudd (but perhaps with not the same degree of venom). Given that, and also the dramatic and long-term increase in the primary vote under Abbott as compared to Turnbull, I really can't see Turnbull leading the opposition again.

mld said:
Many people within the Liberal party see Turnbull as Labor people see Rudd (but perhaps with not the same degree of venom). Given that, and also the dramatic and long-term increase in the primary vote under Abbott as compared to Turnbull, I really can't see Turnbull leading the opposition again.

I think you're right. As Olden pointed out, it amazes me to think how different the political landscape would have been the Turnbull/ Abbott ballot was 1 vote the other way. Bipartisanship on what I believe is one of, possibly the, most important reform ever.

Tigers of Old said:
If you remember jimbob, Turnbull was only defeated by Abbott by one vote in their most recent leadership challenge.

Fair enough. Reckon he would lose by more now.

I've never quite got the love the left have for Turnbull, (perhaps his position on global warming??)

jb03 said:
Fair enough. Reckon he would lose by more now.

I've never quite got the love the left have for Turnbull, (perhaps his position on global warming??)

Of course he'd lose by more now.

There's a bit of enviro stuff but he pushed for a Republic too.
I just think he's more palatable for many than ultra conservative Tony.

Tigers of Old said:
Of course he'd lose by more now.

There's a bit of enviro stuff but he pushed for a Republic too.
I just think he's more palatable for many than ultra conservative Tony.

i think Turnbull is reasonably socially 'progressive'. hence his support amongst the centre-left.
economically he is liberal, hence his dislike for the coalitions 'direct action' climate policy.