The best thing about today's win against the eagles | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The best thing about today's win against the eagles

martyshire

^^ Jack Graham that is
Aug 11, 2007
Rowville...or maybe London
On the way in today the first thing I noticed was the large number of kids in Richmond gear compared to usual.

No doubt a truck load of 40ish yeah old tiger fans have been confronted with the challenge of keeping their kids happy while keeping them Richmond fans. I have heard a few people on PRE remark that there is a real danger of our club missing out on a massive crop of new fans if we are not at least competitive and win a few games - they will simply change teams.

For a number of reasons (long weekend,small crowd, chance of a win) there were kids everwhere today. There were even a bunch of young tigers sitting with my mates when I got to the ground (various nieces and nephews). With all these kids in attendance, the steaks were super high today in terms of our future supporter base.

Several thousand very young tiger fans saw a really impressive team effort and ten goals from a future star. They will never forget this game and I bet there won't be many of them changing teams...now that they know how good it can be to be a tiger.

Yeah took my little 3yr old for her first game today she seed to like it and her eyes just seemed to be amazed by it all. She clapped and cheered when we scored and even asked me to buy her a flag which i was quiet happy to because she wont wear her tigers jumper yet, but i think that might change now that she has seen other kids in theirs.

Young Richmond supporters will be able to wear their Richmond jumpers with pride this week.

At school they can all be Jack.

Did you notice the large number of kids at the race at the end of the game?

martyshire said:
On the way in today the first thing I noticed was the large number of kids in Richmond gear compared to usual.

No doubt a truck load of 40ish yeah old tiger fans have been confronted with the challenge of keeping their kids happy while keeping them Richmond fans. I have heard a few people on PRE remark that there is a real danger of our club missing out on a massive crop of new fans if we are not at least competitive and win a few games - they will simply change teams.

For a number of reasons (long weekend,small crowd, chance of a win) there were kids everwhere today. There were even a bunch of young tigers sitting with my mates when I got to the ground (various nieces and nephews). With all these kids in attendance, the steaks were super high today in terms of our future supporter base.

Several thousand very young tiger fans saw a really impressive team effort and ten goals from a future star. They will never forget this game and I bet there won't be many of them changing teams...now that they know how good it can be to be a tiger.

actually commented on that to the old man today about the foxtel coverage. seemed to be lots of kids there today, which is great.

mb's kids are disillusioned with the Storm so that probably accounts for a large part of the increase in turnout.

best thing about today's game was Cuz's boot getting a 50 metre penalty.........ridiculous umpiring ;D

Memo: RFC players.

Don't sign the ball - jog to the boundary - hand over the ball and then run off. :-[

Surely your Dad taught you to look people in the eye and shake their hand. Firm - but not too strong.

These are children.

Take three seconds.

Look them in the eye - maybe even ruffle their hair while looking them in the eye.

Don't make it look/seem like an imbuggerance.

3 seconds - and you will have them for 20yrs.

Please guys. .............. be the best you can be.

Also took a 5-year-old for the first time this year who now tells me her favourite player is Jack (she can't remember his other name! ;D).

She only lasted half a game, but knows we won, loves the colours, the emblem, the song and is on the way. Let's hope her next 30 years are better our last 30.

Sir said:

Don't sign the ball - jog to the boundary - hand over the ball and then run off. :-[

Surely your Dad taught you to look people in the eye and shake their hand. Firm - but not too strong.

These are children.

Take three seconds.

Look them in the eye - maybe even ruffle their hair while looking them in the eye.

I suppose the excuse may be they are out of practise.

Send a note into the club Sir, I am sure it will be passed on..

Had a ball today. I coach an U9 team and most popular team is the Tiges so we rounded up a few Dad's who like me are still remembering the early 80's and took about 8 of our team. I think reason so many kids today might have something to do with no local footy today and as we are a Sunday team this year, only chance we have really had to see the Tiges live.
I did try and explain to the young fellas how unique 10 goals in a game is, so relish it as you may not see it again for awhile - bit like finals eh?

Sir said:

These are children.

Take three seconds.

Harsh.
I saw a kid on the train who had a signed ball from TV and he was doing cartwheels.

My 6yr old son went to the game today (his second after the narrow loss to the Hawks) and after today no doubt he's now a Tiger for life after a flirtation with the Cats given so many support them at his school as flavour of the month.

'Gary Ablett jnr has never kicked 10 goals kiddo, nowhere near it' ;D

Tigers of Old said:
Harsh.
I saw a kid on the train who had a signed ball from TV and he was doing cartwheels.

My 6yr old son went to the game today (his second after the narrow loss to the Hawks) and after today no doubt he's now a Tiger for life after a flirtation with the Cats given so many support them at his school as flavour of the month.

'Gary Ablett jnr has never kicked 10 goals kiddo, nowhere near it' ;D

C'mon 'Tigers of Old' - it's not harsh.

It's the next step - the best step. True superiority.

I was really proud years ago when we started handing out balls.

Did we initiate it? I seem to recall we did. :clap

But the key to the gesture - is the sincerity behind it.

Hand it out and then run off - score 7 out of 10.

Hand it out and engage with the individual - a lock of eyes - a personal comment - 10 out of 10.

There really is no argument.

It is part of our club's future is we wish to ascend across the spectrum.

Like I said.,

BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE.

Not talking about any individual - BUT - if Brendan Gale says to every player:

a. You must run out to the boundary and hand a ball across to a future supporter,

then how hard is it to add:

b. you must pause - look them in the eye - and add sincerity to the gesture.

?????????

Not harsh (especially after such a great win)

PROFESSIONAL.

Sir said:
PROFESSIONAL.

Reckon you're over analysing it but sure there's always room for improvement.
From an adult's perspective you're probably right but I reckon any kid who recieves a footy from their hero is doing cartwheels, regardless.

Tigers of Old said:
Reckon you're over analysing it but sure there's always room for improvement.
From an adult's perspective you're probably right but I reckon any kid who recieves a footy from their hero is doing cartwheels, regardless.

He ha ha he he he ;)

It's the very mediocrity you condone - that has left us where we have been for thirty years.

It's exactly why I have faith that a man like Brendan Gale will take the players aside and make the point to them:

BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE.

Not - throw peanut - and the monkeys will be happy.

C'mon Tigers of Old.

You must be very happy with 'average'. ;)

The best thing about today's win against the eagles?

The desire by most of the team, most of the time, to want to move the ball forward and not cheat and look for the easy lazy give off to a team-mate backwards.

Sir said:
He ha ha he he he ;)

It's the very mediocrity you condone - that has left us where we have been for thirty years.

It's exactly why I have faith that a man like Brendan Gale will take the players aside and make the point to him.

BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE.

Not - throw peanut - and the monkeys will be happy.

C'mon Tigers of Old.

You must be very happy with 'average'. ;)

?? I didn't see much average with today at all Sirs. Like I said, harsh.