Sub Rule gone!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sub Rule gone!!!

I like the change puts us in agreat possie r.e our mids that are genuine threats in fwd line

Interesting.

Hated the sub rule but rotation down to 90 per game? 22.5 per quarter?
Getting players fitness right has just become even more important.

So that's 121 rotations down to 90. but one extra seat to do it with. Previously each seat was capable of 40 rotations each and one other could make 1 rotation. Now each seat has a 22.5 rotations. Potentially four rotations per player (NOT THAT SOME GET THAT). Would have liked to have seen total rotations halved to 60. Think 15 rotations per seat would have made a noticeable difference. Not sure 90 overall will.

Not happy. Sub rule was the way forward. Get back to the way the game was played. Or cap it at 10 per quarter and only after a goal is kicked.

Ridley said:
What would you liked to have seen Oldie?

I would have liked to have seen them slash the IC rotations dramatically almost to nothing and have 2 on the bench & 2 reserves to only be used in case of injury or fatigue. Once a player is taken off they can't come back on.
Think we're taking a gradual route.

Tigers of Old said:
I would have liked to have seen them slash the IC rotations dramatically almost to nothing and have 2 on the bench & 2 reserves to only be used in case of injury or fatigue. Once a player is taken off they can't come back on.

That is no good for the players. No one wants to be sub. 4 subs with the once off can't come back on in each quarter rule (thus 4 changes per quarter and the 4 at any break).

Tigers of Old said:

Agree with this. Limiting rotations seems such an artificial thing to me. I think we need to think outside the box on this one.
I liked the sub rule. Would have preferred to see two interchange and I don't care how many subs.
Or even as someone suggested here recently, once you're off for the quarter, you can't come back on.
I still think the ability to rest players more is the fundamental reason for the rolling maul.

I think those rotations will be cut quite dramatically in the coming couple of years after that as well. AFL easing it in to start with.

People will hate it when we cop injuries mid game. On the positive the likes of Lennon, McIntosh or the 22nd player will get a fair go.

Geez...even the Sub Rule retires today....

Good riddance. Stupid and worthless idea. Wasn't it supposed to be used for an emergency injury (concussion, knee etc..) instead of a tactical decision to switch players?

Tigers of Old said:
While I'm with you in principle - it was never going to happen to that extent.
But restricting to a total of say 60 IC's would have suited me for now - rather than 90. That's too many.