Stoppages and congestion? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stoppages and congestion?

Tigers of Old said:
Actually Tottie I watched the game closely on the weekend re your theory and I reckon you're correct. Umpires are giving players forever to get rid of the ball when they're tackled. Need to encourage the ball to get out of the congestion faster. If players wait for the best option and hang onto it as opposed to getting rid of it quickly, then penalise them. Need a 'hot potato' mentality.

Trouble is, the coaches would all throw the biggest collective wobbly if the umpires forced a hot potato factor into the game. Defensive football is based on the principle of avoiding any chaotic events like hand passing or kicking under pressure. Coaches want the ball controlled at all times and this eventually leads to stoppages, which they also want.

I know one thing. Cut back the interchange and there will be even more stoppages. Every stoppage means another little rest for the players.

I would still start paying free kicks for holding the ball and policing the throws. It will lead to an upswing in the number of frees for a while but it will also open up the game.

Dunno TOT, I noticed Alastair Clarkson mention the exact same thing as you in the paper. Remove the prior oppurtunity interpretation and pay HTB properly!

BT Tiger said:
Dunno TOT, I noticed Alastair Clarkson mention the exact same thing as you in the paper. Remove the prior oppurtunity interpretation and pay HTB properly!

In the end, free kicks will control the way the game is played. Pay a few frees and the coaches will go back to the drawing board. It is a matter of finding the right driver of the current ugly game. My opinion is that prior opportunity has been the driver.