Stoppages and congestion? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stoppages and congestion?

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It was good for the first month and most people were happy. Don't know why Campbell's allowed them to slip back into their old ways.

That's happened with a lot of new rules over the years. Enforce them strongly for a few weeks early then they phase out for the remainder of the year.

jb03 said:
Enforce them strongly for a few weeks early then they phase out for the remainder of the year.

Mouldy green maggots can't enforce the old rules that have existed for a hundred years properly. Why would anyone expect them to even remember all the new rules that are invented every five minutes by experts trying to fix the game?

Gold Coast are 5 years in and yet to make the finals LTRTR. GWS may this year but are unlikely.

Leysy can recall the woe is us on PRE when they entered proclaiming premierships by now. Odds against for it to occur in the next 5 ILO.

Yep, by 2015 Newman would have retired and the GCS/GWS teams would have started locking in the premierships.

Isn't that right Bin4?

Leysy Days said:
Gold Coast are 5 years in and yet to make the finals LTRTR. GWS may this year but are unlikely.

That may change in the future but leysy couldn't see a dynasty approaching then and can't now.

Leysy can recall the woe is us on PRE when they entered proclaiming premierships by now.

Still the two youngest sides in the competition. It takes time. Success for GWS is a formality, they have more first-rounders in their reserves than a lot of clubs have full stop. The exodus has ended, they've just about secured all their key players who realise success is virtually assured. Gold Coast imploded this year through cultural issues and injuries when they were ready to break into the eight. Blip on the radar.

The Carltons, the Essendons, to a lesser extent the Geelongs are seeing hopes fade. North's chance went begging, and St.Kilda and Melbourne are still miles off. For all their promise, Collingwood looks like spending consecutive seasons out of the finals. Six or seven finals places could conceivably be occupied by non-Victorian clubs in coming seasons.

We're holding up our end of the bargain, but then 9-5 is relative prosperity.

Daigoro said:
In terms of on field stuff Connolly has for years been king of the leave the game alone crowd. All a bit rich from him at this point.

Essendon supporters wouldn't be human if ASADA/WADA wasn't getting them down. But it's starting to colour his professional work.

Won't be long before the AFL sends some people around. "Rohan, step away from the keyboard..."

There's been kind of a "grass roots" push from the AFL this year, but the game just ain't the same. It is often sh!t to watch, but I think the AFL is terrified of the consequences of tinkering, which isn't a bad thing.

any changes to reduce congestion have to be simple and easily enforced. Forcing players to stay inside 50 is silly. Imagine the ball is 2m outside 50 and the player can't bend over to get it! 2 simple measures in my opinion are to reduce the number of interchange and for any ball up inside the centre square, the set up has to be the same as for after a goal viz the ball is thrown up in the middle and only 4 each inside.

joegarra said:
any changes to reduce congestion have to be simple and easily enforced. Forcing players to stay inside 50 is silly. Imagine the ball is 2m outside 50 and the player can't bend over to get it! 2 simple measures in my opinion are to reduce the number of interchange and for any ball up inside the centre square, the set up has to be the same as for after a goal viz the ball is thrown up in the middle and only 4 each inside.

The idea for zones isn't forcing players to stand inside 50, it would just apply at stoppages.

Good article from Patrick Smith on this drawing parallels with a recent NRL report:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/opinion/interchange-has-killed-the-beauty-and-flow-of-indigenous-game/story-e6frg7uo-1227453120510

Shes an ugly old game (unless you watch Hawthorn or West Coast) these days.

Two and a half hours spent at the footy isn't as enjoyable as it used to be.

If I didn't have kids who want to go all the time, I wouldn't bother most weeks.

Would prefer to see the final scores at the end and if it looks like it was a good game, watch the replay.

IanG said:
The idea for zones isn't forcing players to stand inside 50, it would just apply at stoppages.

Who would police it is my problem. More umpires??? Umpires not watching the stoppage but watching the 50??

joegarra said:
Who would police it is my problem. More umpires??? Umpires not watching the stoppage but watching the 50??

Implant RFID chips in the players heads. Lay RFID receivers into the ground and you'll easily know who is who and where they are.

Could go a step further and send an electrical jolt when a player is not in the right zone

joegarra said:

As I understand it when the bouncing umpire is ready to bounce the ball there must be the requisite number of players in each zone so 2 of the non bouncing umpires would watch each zone, when the umpire bounces the ball they would probably switch their view to the vicinity of the ball. But even so yes this may be an issue that needs to be dealt with. Its apparently being used in junior football now.

IanG said:
As I understand it when the bouncing umpire is ready to bounce the ball there must be the requisite number of players in each zone so 2 of the non bouncing umpires would watch each zone, when the umpire bounces the ball they would probably switch their view to the vicinity of the ball. But even so yes this may be an issue that needs to be dealt with. Its apparently being used in junior football now.
So who would watch the tagging n scragging while the maggot was bouncing the ball? Or do we add another couple of maggots?

Baloo said:
Implant RFID chips in the players heads. Lay RFID receivers into the ground and you'll easily know who is who and where they are.

Could go a step further and send an electrical jolt when a player is not in the right zone

If there was a remote control button available on the game day thread all our players would be dead :pop

TigerMasochist said:
So who would watch the tagging n scragging while the maggot was bouncing the ball? Or do we add another couple of maggots?

Exactly my point, the other option is to somehow have an exclusion zone around each stoppage - again tricky to police. The other radical idea (I'm typing while I think , so may not make sense), is to ditch the 50m lines (only there for aesthetic reasons) and divide the ground into 9 zones - any ball up in a zone is performed in the centre of that zone with set up similar to after a goal ie only 4 players each. Easy to police as the umpires set up the same as for a centre bounce.

Here's another annoying stoppage-maker. Player takes possession near the boundary and is immediately tackled. He uses his strength and weight to drag himself and the tackler over the boundary. He makes no attempt to break the tackle, handpass or kick.

Why is this not holding the ball?

The game would be so much more open if they just enforced all the rules all the time instead of plucking something topical out for a couple of weeks before forgetting about it.

Actually Tottie I watched the game closely on the weekend re your theory and I reckon you're correct. Umpires are giving players forever to get rid of the ball when they're tackled. Need to encourage the ball to get out of the congestion faster. If players wait for the best option and hang onto it as opposed to getting rid of it quickly, then penalise them. Need a 'hot potato' mentality.