Stoppages and congestion? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Stoppages and congestion?

Harry said:
reducing the interchange will only create a slower rolling scrum, and teams will be looking for the boundary more to conserve energy.

- kick backwards should not be paid a mark

In saying all this, we will be one one the teams most disadvantaged with the above.

could not disagree more on these points
everything else you said i agree with

cap interchange at 10 per qtr
get runners/waterboys off the ground

teach umpires to stop blowing the whistle instantaneously.

if its a mark in the middle of play or a free kick and the team with the ball has possession and is running with the ball........

LET THE FFFFFF ING GAME GO.
PUT YOUR WHISTLE AWAY AND LET IT RUN

rant over

I like the idea of no interchange.

It would actually make us a better team. The bigger the percentage that our top 6 forms of our onfield team, the better. I like the idea of Cotchin, Jack, Deledio, Martin, Rance never being on the bench.

The only problem is injuries. There would be too many games where a side has to actually play a man down on the field.

Even with two bench this would (infrequently) be an issue. There have been several games this year where teams have been 1 man, or even none, on the bench.

I reckon no bench and two substitutes would be interesting.

This debate has got me thinking about things that used to happen in the old days. I reckon many of us went to the footy to see some of these things.

Remember how the Wingmen would have these great tussles on their side of the ground? Someone would kick it out of the backline and there would be Robbie Flower and Dougie Hawkins. They would stand shoulder-to-shoulder, nudge each other around, one would win the advantage in the air, the other would push back and bring it to ground and they would battle on the ground for it. This was worth the price of admission on its own. Gone.

Remember how players who were about to collect a loose ball but knew they were about to be tackled would paddle the ball along in front of them and chase it? They would try to get clear with pace and grab it when they could. Gone.

Remember how players who knew that they would be tackled would punch the ball forward into space rather than grab it and be tackled to the ground? David Cloke in his early days would do this all day and KB would breeze past and run onto it. Gone.

Remember how there would be 18 one on one battles all over the ground? This bloke would tag that bloke all day, the wingmen would stay on their side of the ground, the rovers would rest up forward and try to snag a couple of goals, the full-back and the Full-forward would go at each other all day. Hudson-Barry Richardson, David Dench would run off his dangerous opponent, Jezza was always too fast for the slow Full-backs but would jump all over the smaller ones. Gone.

Remember how late in games the ruckman would drift a kick behind the play? Gary Dempsey would take two or three match-winning marks in defence almost every game. His ruck opponent was trying to do the same at the other end of the ground. Gone.

Remember the shoot-outs? Best game I ever went to, despite the result, was the 1972 Grand Final. 28 goals 9 vs 22 goals 18. Richmond trailed by 54 points at three-quarter time and lost by 27. All these years later, I can still remember the score without looking it up. Is there anyone who can remember the score from the 2005 Grand Final? I can’t even remember if that was the Grand Final that Sydney won after 72 years or if that happened the next year.

These things were exhilarating. Fit young men battling each other in head-to-head contests all game long. What do we have now?

Run to increase the numbers on the ball. Drop an extra number back. Kick to a lead, not a contest. Drop to the ground when tackled, look for a high tackle or a push in the back but don’t let the ball trickle loose. Fill the space, even with your runner or a couple of trainers if you have to. Rest on the bench, not up forward. Spoil to the boundary line. Handball in a chain. Never paddle the ball into space. Duck your head. Drag the tackler forward. Block for forwards so they can lead to the ball by themselves. Kick backwards, across goal, sideways, hold possession. Force stoppages so you can set up in the right places again. Kick a goal and run 80 metres to the interchange area. Recruit runners, not footballers. Kick to the boundary line instead of at goal. And so it goes…………………………..

The game has become about minimising risk and holding possession. Preventing scores is more important than creating them. Dragging your opponent down to your level is more successful than trying to soar above him. That is how coaches win games. By making games as boring as all batsh!t.

Just once, how good would it be to see Dustin Martin v Pendlebury battle it out all day one-on-one along the Members' wing of the MCG?

roacheee said:
teach umpires to stop blowing the whistle instantaneously.

if its a mark in the middle of play or a free kick and the team with the ball has possession and is running with the ball........

LET THE FFFFFF ING GAME GO.
PUT YOUR WHISTLE AWAY AND LET IT RUN

rant over

The umpires are blowing it less though, its one of the factors in the last 2 years that has led to more stoppages. More free kicks would actually open the game up more.

CarnTheTiges said:
Of course KB wants the interchange done away with altogether. KB still wants footy to be played the way it was when he was running around in the '70's. Is he also going to take responsibility for players careers ending earlier because their bodies are so beaten down, or the game degenerating into a bunch of guys with skills affected by exhaustion? The pace of the game, which the AFL Rules Committee had a lot to do with, was artificially sped up, because there was a belief that the game moved too slowly, this made the interchange more necessary than before. KB doesn't seem to realise this. I'd like to see him have a good long chat with his old mate Kevin Sheedy, a successful AFL coach, and see what his opinion on getting rid of the interchange is.

Now that he's not coaching, he'd probably think it's a good idea!

I think capping the interchange only makes it worse - players would spend less time running off and on the ground and the clubs would still be able to limit the number of time spent on field for each player - they would just have to plan it better.
As for the no interchange two subs idea, I would even be prepared to let them have four subs as long as there was no interchange. But could you imagine the howls of protest? Most of the people in the game seem to hate 3 and 1.
I am also very much in favour of extending the distance required for a mark and not allowing marks at all for a backwards kick. But if the kick came from an opponent I would have no restrictions at all.

23.21.159 said:
I am also very much in favour of extending the distance required for a mark and not allowing marks at all for a backwards kick.

i really dont think this would lessen congestion. at the moment the kick backwards or sideways leads to a switch of play which is the best to open the game up. if a mark is not paid it reduces the likelihood of teams trying to switch play. it will also give teams less reason to man up on players sideways or behind the player with the ball. these players instead will be a kick down the line, leading to more congestion.

23.21.159 said:
I think capping the interchange only makes it worse - players would spend less time running off and on the ground and the clubs would still be able to limit the number of time spent on field for each player - they would just have to plan it better.

Well when the 1 sub rule came in it had a pretty good effect in opening up games especially in the second halves.

Seems like a storm in a tea cup to me.

THeres no law that says game have to be always fast and open. THe main problem with the Friday night game wasnt too many players around the ball. That's been happening for years. In fact when it was an in form Haw Geel or Sydney game a few years ago like that they would call it a titanic struggle; finals type footy.

The thing that made Fridays nights game poor was the attrocious disposal. From both sides.

Guys like Healy and Bartlett just need to STFU and stop trying to goad the AfL into tinkering with the rules all the time. It just causes new pronblems for the game.

evo said:

THeres no law that says game have to be always fast and open. THe main problem with the Friday night game wasnt too many players around the ball. That's been happening for years. In fact when it was an in form Haw Geel or Sydney game a few years ago like that they would call it a titanic struggle; finals type footy.

The thing that made Fridays nights game poor was the attrocious disposal. From both sides.

Guys like Healy and Bartlett just need to STFU and stop trying to goad the AfL into tinkering with the rules all the time. It just causes new pronblems for the game.

This seems reasonable.

tigertime2 said:
15 players on the ground 5 forward 5 back and 5 midfield. 8 on bench 4 subs one allowed each quarter max.
I also favor a reduction, at least see it trialled.

evo said:
The thing that made Fridays nights game poor was the atrocious disposal. From both sides.
And the prime reason general disposal is so poor is because the perversion of the Interchange has biased selecting "Running Robot" players who's main attribute is getting from one congested pack to the next and then hiding off the field when they run out of puff.

With less - or no - Interchange players clubs will be forced to select players who can still be of value to a football team when "resting" on the ground, just like they had to before control-freak coaches perverted the Interchange system away from its original purpose.

Bring back 18 plus interchange Get rid of subs
Bring back quality umpires Get rid of the cast of thousands umpires
Bring back all Vic teams Get rid of interstate teams
Bring back 2.10 pm Saturday arvo games Get rid of footy every day of the week games and short and long breaks
Bring back waiting for umpires after behinds Get rid of play on after behinds
Bring back score updates of all games on the big screen Get rid of staggered games where it takes a week to know the results of the round

I liked the game far better before they kept finding ways to alter it.

rosy23 said:
Bring back all Vic teams Get rid of interstate teams
Bring back 2.10 pm Saturday arvo games Get rid of footy every day of the week games and short and long breaks

If it still happens in the US and the UK, it can happen....but with a premier league only.

Bring in traffic lights.
When it's red you can't go past. You've got to wait for it to turn green. Otherwise you've got to push the pedestrian crossing button and wait. Then you have to walk not run. ;D Fines to apply for any transgression
That will slow things up a bit and reduce congestion.
*no lollipop men allowed*

evo said:

Nice Evo. I'm in the leave it alone category too.