Steve Morris VFL Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Steve Morris VFL Coach

Would love to see Morro coaching this side again next year as well. Got a massive heap of newbies this year plus a crazy upheaval of injury issues throwing the team into constant disarray. Whatever he achieves this year could only be bettered if he got a decent run with a reasonably balanced n settled squad.
After that I'd be happy for Morro to get a role as a line coach or whatever the assistants get to do these days.
Not the super talented elite player at AFL level, but super talented elite at putting everything he had on the line for his team. These types of blokes somehow seem to become the best coaches at AFL level, they seem to get massive buy in n commitment to the team ethos n work disciplines required to get the overall success.

Reactions: 9 users
Good to see Morris getting some much deserved praise around here for once. The club has plenty of issues to work through right now but the VFL development program is not one of them.

Reactions: 20 users
Good to see Morris getting some much deserved praise around here for once. The club has plenty of issues to work through right now but the VFL development program is not one of them.
I was in the rooms a couple of weeks ago and he speaks really well

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Promote him no doubt even as player development he works well with the kids to.

Reactions: 1 user
As part of his duties is Morris expected to be at AFL games?

Would A familiar friendly and respected voice around the newbies be seen as an asset or stepping on the toes of the AFL assistants?

How long did Flea stay as vfl coach? Seemed to work a treat.
I think you meant Fly !!

Anyway Craig McRae 4 years as our VFL Coach

PlayedWinsLossDrawFinishCoach% Win
2016189909Craig McRae50.00%
20172114702ndCraig McRae66.67%Result inc finalsLost GF to Port Melbourne
20182014601stCraig McRae70.00%Result inc finalsLost QF & SF
20192119201stCraig McRae90.48%Minor premier 2 years in a rowWon GF

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I think you meant Fly !!

Anyway Craig McRae 4 years as our VFL Coach

PlayedWinsLossDrawFinishCoach% Win
2016189909Craig McRae50.00%
20172114702ndCraig McRae66.67%Result inc finalsLost GF to Port Melbourne
20182014601stCraig McRae70.00%Result inc finalsLost QF & SF
20192119201stCraig McRae90.48%Minor premier 2 years in a rowWon GF
Thanks. yeah, fly... no idea why I wrote that :help:flush

Morris has Richmond Tiger DNA like no other ex-player still around the club. It ain’t Rolls Royce or Richo-like but more in the vein of T-shirt Tommy or that “bloody back pocket plumber”. Yes, pure working class…. exactly what RFC has always best represented.

The VFL side has done remarkably well this season and an improved 2nd half of the year is highly likely. If it transpires then suggestions of his promotion as an AFL assistant to Yze are absolutely worth supporting. If Teague’s contract is up for renewal then it’s a no brainer.

Personally I love the idea as many of our 2025 team will have been developed under Steve’s mentorship. He and Yze ought to form a great combination over the next couple of years at least.

Reactions: 11 users
Steve is there at every AFL training session, leading drills and heavily involved. He along with Teague, Lonergan, Lambert and Ziebell are often used as "defenders" in drills especially as we've been short of fit players,

Reactions: 10 users
He took over from Mcrae as VFL coach I think and he was hardly experienced as a coach but in a couple of seasons Morris has learned his craft well and more importantly he has the players on his side so full credit to him for his hard work and game ethos

Reactions: 3 users
He took over from Mcrae as VFL coach I think and he was hardly experienced as a coach but in a couple of seasons Morris has learned his craft well and more importantly he has the players on his side so full credit to him for his hard work and game ethos
X Clarke took over from Fly n then Morro took over from X.

Steve is there at every AFL training session, leading drills and heavily involved. He along with Teague, Lonergan, Lambert and Ziebell are often used as "defenders" in drills especially as we've been short of fit players,
Do you have much to do with Teague or the other asst. coaches? Any views on them?