Scrap the NAB cup | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Scrap the NAB cup

Probably already been discussed but wasn't there word of a champions league style competition ran by Foxtel that included VFL/SANFL/WAFL teams, new franchises (small outfits like Northern Territory composite teams), as well as AFL clubs... That to me would be far more of a spectacle with far more at stake (ie. a VFL team striving to take out the trophy ahead of AFL teams) at this time in the year

apparently it starts tonight. its unlike the AFL to minimise the marketing. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

At least you got your wish, the NAB Cup has been scrapped.
. :whistle
its now the NAB Challenge

I for one am relieved the dark ages are over and footy is back.

We can reduce the new idea vibe on the forum and start scratching eyes out (Reow) over footy, dima, the whipping boys instead.

NAB smab...

Footies back!

TFFT.

Don't care who wins or loses the games, actually glad it's been slightly down scaled from the plastic cup scenario. Much better that it's now run as pre season " practice " games setting the teams up for the proper season ahead. Like the idea of a raft of games being played around the regional centres n giving a bit more access to the games n players for outlying communities.

Just noticed the Blues Hawks game broadcast on SEN and 3aw. Does anyone know if the game tomorrow will be on radio as well, seen as its in the West?

Ian4 said:
apparently it starts tonight. its unlike the AFL to minimise the marketing. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Melbourne Victory v Hawthorn.

watched a little bit last night...but was quickly bored.....took the dogs for a walk....played some bowie lips when i got hime with the footy on in the background...absolutley pointless having this preseason.....just start the real game 4 weeks early...

They're glorified practice matches, but in a weird way they're necessary. They give the game an opportunity to be shown to audiences that don't often get the chance to see that standard. How many AFL games are played in Mandurah? Plus the players need something approaching a proper hitout before the real stuff starts. I prefer this format over the contrived Cup idea that went before. This way everyone knows where they stand and take their own approach. I'm looking forward to tonight's match just to see how the kids perform under something approaching AFL, and probably a step up from VFL where most of them will spend a good chunk of their season.

It has been scrapped. It's no longer a serious competition. Just a series of organised practice games in preparation for the real thing. A great opportunity to give kids a taste.

arlobill said:
watched a little bit last night...but was quickly bored.....took the dogs for a walk....played some bowie lips when i got hime with the footy on in the background...absolutley pointless having this preseason.....just start the real game 4 weeks early...

If you started the real game 4 weeks earlier, you'd just have to start praccy matches 3 weeks before that.

The players need a few hitouts - some more than others. Either way, there's going to be practice matches before the season proper.
Is the problem that they're televised? Cause you don't have to watch.

arlobill said:
Why is it pointless? Clubs need to have practice games in the lead up to the season. I'm happy that ours is televised so that I can get a glimpse of how the youngsters are tracking.

Coburgtiger said:
If you started the real game 4 weeks earlier, you'd just have to start praccy matches 3 weeks before that.

The players need a few hitouts - some more than others. Either way, there's going to be practice matches before the season proper.
That's it in a nutshell. Just a fact of life!

They all need practice matches, they've had them for as long as I can remember. Now with AFL being such big business, they are televised.

I get excited footy is back, but after a few minutes of watching any other team than the tigers play a praccy match, I switch off.