Scrap the NAB cup | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Scrap the NAB cup

Get rid of the NAB Cup.

Each team to play other teams once during the season proper.

Breaks during the season to allow teams to rest up and also to play State of Origin matches.

Reverse matches the following season for fairness (Eg 2010 Richmond vs West Coast. 2011 West Coast vs Richmond) Not necessarily in the same order as the previous season.

Bring back a finals series we understand and stop rewarding mediocrity. The Final Five.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tripleheader-start-a-winner-20110214-1atnb.html

Oh dear.

Tigerdog said:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tripleheader-start-a-winner-20110214-1atnb.html

Oh dear.

Goebbels had nothing on these guys in the AFL.

Tigerdog said:

Oh dear.
Has the *smile* brains of a *smile* gumboot that idiot Insignificant Anderson.
Scumwood, reigning premiers aligned in a footy match of sorts with Carlscum and the Tiges. Three of the biggest drawing ancient rivalry clubs in the comp and peaknuckle wants to sing about fans tuning in.
How about ensuring all clubs actually have change room facilities instead of having to use the carpark......................*smile* billion dollar industry yet the stars of the show get treated like second rate sweat shop workers.
I bet Insignificant and his mates all got reserved seats, fine dining and chardies if they even bothered to front.

I'd take 28 Rounds of the Home & Away in a heartbeat. Get serious or get out!
:rofl

Boyanich said:
Get rid of the NAB Cup.

Each team to play other teams once during the season proper.

Breaks during the season to allow teams to rest up and also to play State of Origin matches.

Reverse matches the following season for fairness (Eg 2010 Richmond vs West Coast. 2011 West Coast vs Richmond) Not necessarily in the same order as the previous season.

Bring back a finals series we understand and stop rewarding mediocrity. The Final Five.

good post. agree with all of that except for the last line. i'm a strong advocate of shortening the home and away season. but i think we should play a longer finals series. ie. a top 10 (2 x the old final 5 format). i know not everyone will like a 10 team finals series in an 18 team comp, but the finals is the pinnacle of the season and worth consideration. and besides, i wouldn't be surprised if the league is extended by another 2 teams in the next 10-15 years anyway...

Tigerdog said:

Oh dear.

*smile* afl

mb64 said:
The NAB is wasting its money on this,surprised if they don't pull the sponsorship.

Why ? For a couple of months every year, every footy fan is seeing or repeating their name over and over. The more ludicrous the format or trial rules, the more people say NAB.

Ian4 said:
good post. agree with all of that except for the last line. i'm a strong advocate of shortening the home and away season. but i think we should play a longer finals series. ie. a top 10 (2 x the old final 5 format). i know not everyone will like a 10 team finals series in an 18 team comp, but the finals is the pinnacle of the season and worth consideration. and besides, i wouldn't be surprised if the league is extended by another 2 teams in the next 10-15 years anyway...

*smile* afl
Bloody hell Ian! Why reward mediocrity with finals? Might as well just cancel the season and play twenty two rounds of finals games and three Grannies just in case someone thinks they might miss out.

It's bad enough that nearly every year 12 wins or just a smidgin over 50% success rate qualifies you for finals but when teams get in with a *smile* poor 10 wins like Esserdumb did in 09 the final 8 borders on farcical.
If it weren't for the constant AFL desperate moneygrub approach to football there would never be a need to have any more than a final 5 or 6. The top 30% of the comp should be playing for the right to be declared champions not every Tom, *smile* n Harry.

Tigerdog said:

No fan of the video ump or the OOB rule but I actually liked the triple format.
Was good to be able to see your team play against more than one opponent and good experience for the players leading up to the season proper.
Some get too worked up about the 'NAB' cup. It's just a euphemism for practice matches.

Ian4 said:
as a richmond supporter, isn't it obvious? ;D
I can almost see your point Ian, happy to come last and still get to play finals ;D . Nah! Not for me, it's gotta be the best sides of the season fighting it out for the trophy.

Tiger Crikey said:
nah disagree. you know, there can be such as a thing as having too much of a good thing. i'm actually an advocate of shortening the season, not extending it. less is more imo.

Yep agree with you crikey. If it were me, when both new teams are playing, i'd shorten it to a 17 game season (everyone plays each other once - much fairer), p!ss the NAB cup off and introduce a State of Origin Carnival in it's place. ;)

Obviously the carnival would most likely need to be played during a mid season break as opposed to preseason. Teams in State of Origin could be, VIC Metro, VIC Country, SA, WA, QLD, TAS, NSW/ACT, NT - like in U/18 national champs. Would be some mouth watering match ups in such a carnival :clap

Panthera Tigris said:
Yep agree with you crikey. If it were me, when both new teams are playing, i'd shorten it to a 17 game season (everyone plays each other once - much fairer), p!ss the NAB cup off and introduce a State of Origin Carnival in it's place. ;)

Obviously the carnival would most likely need to be played during a mid season break as opposed to preseason. Teams in State of Origin could be, VIC Metro, VIC Country, SA, WA, QLD, TAS, NSW/ACT, NT - like in U/18 national champs. Would be some mouth watering match ups in such a carnival :clap

yep. i'm all for that.

Channel 7 got the games tonight so they play them delayed after Better Homes and Gardens.

I'll be watching the debut RU match of the Melbourne Rebels.

YinnarTiger said:
Channel 7 got the games tonight so they play them delayed after Better Homes and Gardens.

I'll be watching the debut RU match of the Melbourne Rebels.

Ch 7 got the games so in Brisbane it is on (7mate only) after the following:
6.30 pm:
SCRUBS
7.00 pm:
THAT '70S SHOW
7.30 pm:
REXONA AUSTRALIA'S GREATEST ATHLETE
8.30 pm:
AX MEN
9.30 pm:
7MATE FRIDAY NIGHT FRIGHT NIGHT: THE DESCENT
11.30 pm:
2011 NAB CUP: ROUND 1: POOL 4 - ESSEND-
ON V BRISBA-
NE V ST KILDA

Not on 7's normal channel at all. I am at a friends place who doesn't have a digital set top box as she doesn't watch much tv, so I don't get to watch it at all.
These games feature Brisbane. Shows how much they care up here.