Scrap the NAB cup | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Scrap the NAB cup

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i had the opportunity to go, but couldn't be bothered. i then watched the first 10 mins before boredom set in and i changed the channel. seriously, i could not watch that rubbish last night. i got regular score updates, but i just couldn't sit down and watch the whole thing. it was just a snorefest. i deadset ending up watching californication and repeats of the big bang theory i had saved on my foxtel iq.

so anyway my point is... bloody scrap the thing! apart from a small fix of footy in summer, what good does the NAB cup do? our squad can't practice any tweaks to our gameplan with all those ridiculous rules anyway, so whats the point of it? we're much better off playing an intra club game or some practice match against opposition in the bush. the NAB cup is a joke. Pi55 it off.

Ian4 said:
i had the opportunity to go, but couldn't be bothered. i then watched the first 10 mins before boredom set in and i changed the channel. seriously, i could not watch that rubbish last night. i got regular score updates, but i just couldn't sit down and watch the whole thing. it was just a snorefest. i deadset ending up watching californication and repeats of the big bang theory i had saved on my foxtel iq.

so anyway my point is... bloody scrap the thing! apart from a small fix of footy in summer, what good does the NAB cup do? our squad can't practice any tweaks to our gameplan with all those ridiculous rules anyway, so whats the point of it? we're much better off playing an intra club game or some practice match against opposition in the bush. the NAB cup is a joke. Pi55 it off.

Now just relax Ian.......................... you don't have to jump............................... ;)

Ian4 said:

Agree in part. Cannot believe how much more like basketball this boundary rule makes the game - watched about 15 minutes of the second "half" against carlton and was bored. But we still need some sort of pre-season competition, and if you are going to experiment with rules it's the perfect time.

Yeah - anything the AFL does is a joke!

NAB Cup - Joke - *smile* it off

New Teams - Joke - *smile* them off

Changing Rules - Joke - Stick with the old rules

Ever think you might be a stick in the mud? If you do not change in this world you go backwards.

There is one constant in this world and that is - the world is always changing!

Agree - scrap it, start the season 4 weeks earlier, have 4 more rounds, let the NAB sponsor it and call it the NAB first month of football.

Scrap the NAB cup as we are sick of seeing the tigers getting flogged!!!
Scrap round 1 as we are sick of seeing the tiges get flogged!!!

Book your caravan park holidays in September ferals. Its going to be a long hard winter!!!

the 4 weeks we waste on nab cup we could waste 3 of them on practice matches with the rules that will be used for proper season and for that other week hell afl loves basketball so much have a all stars weekend

Ridiculous thread. The NAB Cup is the highlight of the pre-season. Sorry, the whole season. I've just let a pack of wild hamsters rip out my throat again because of our appalling display last night. If we don't win a game in this thing next year I'm moving to Mermaid Beach.

Harry said:
Agree - scrap it, start the season 4 weeks earlier, have 4 more rounds, let the NAB sponsor it and call it the NAB first month of football.
This
Except I'd add 6 weeks to the H&A season

RemoteTiger said:
Yeah - anything the AFL does is a joke!

NAB Cup - Joke - p!ss it off

New Teams - Joke - p!ss them off

Changing Rules - Joke - Stick with the old rules

Ever think you might be a stick in the mud? If you do not change in this world you go backwards.

There is one constant in this world and that is - the world is always changing!

haha. the first 2 are right but the 3rd isn't. i have been a supporter of some of the rule changes.

Harry said:

nah disagree. you know, there can be such as a thing as having too much of a good thing. i'm actually an advocate of shortening the season, not extending it. less is more imo.

in addition, can you imagine us going 0-9 again? we'll be hanging for the season to end... but we'd have to play an extra month. bugger that!!

Big Cat Lover said:
Agree in part. Cannot believe how much more like basketball this boundary rule makes the game - watched about 15 minutes of the second "half" against carlton and was bored. But we still need some sort of pre-season competition, and if you are going to experiment with rules it's the perfect time.
Why do we need a pre-season comp?

What other comp in the world changes it rules at the drop of a hate?

One or two intra club games a match or two agianst other club and start the real thing.

I rarely agree with Brian Taylor but last night he said that if we are going to trial rules in the NAB Cup then we should stick to rules that are actually possible that we would change in the regular season . He was referring to the last touch out of bounds rule . He is right about that one , there is zero chance that it would ever come in , noone was calling for it and it changes the game so much .

What was the point of it ? The same could be said for the 9 pointer imo .

It's now all about sponsor money rather than preparation . Not sure what will happen next year , hopefully a 24-25 game season but isn't the issue ground access if we push further into March and/or October ?

nah disagree. you know, there can be such as a thing as having too much of a good thing. i'm actually an advocate of shortening the season, not extending it. less is more imo.

in addition, can you imagine us going 0-9 again? we'll be hanging for the season to end... but we'd have to play an extra month. bugger that!!
[/quote]It's a great summary of the whole bloody outlook on that NAB stupid
rule changing caper. Let's hope our Tigs will do better than that when the season
finally gets under way. Will be watching it on telly Ian far too far to travel from
NE Vic. Been a Tiger supporter since they were Down Up Down Up Down Down Down etc.etc.

I agree F it off! Have a couple practice matches and thats that.

Just quietly... I think "One day in October" really doesnt roll off the tongue all that nicely...

agree, i watched 15mins of it in the pizza shop while waiting for my pizza.
i think a carlton bloke missed from 5metres out, all the kicks were getting intercepted and not travelling further than 25metres.

no one seemed to care what they were doing.

didnt know we lost both matches to the nect day

I'm all for glorified practice games leading into the season proper.
Didn't mind mixing it up with the three teams playing shortened games but I'd like the games to resemble something closer to Australian Football if they're going to bother.

Try the new rules at the lower level leagues first to see if they work.
Experimenting at the elite level with untried rule changes so as it resembles another sport is stupid and does the game no favours IMO.
Just confuses the crap out of everyone.

Streak said:
I wonder why the NAB maintain their sponsorship?

Any publicity is good publicity?
The NAB is wasting its money on this,surprised if they don't pull the sponsorship.

Nab cup has gotta go.. Playing all those craps rules doesnt really give the kids an understanding of the game at AFL level until they play their first match no wonder so many team through the game and prefer to play the challenge matches... Could stilll play two 20 minute halves with the three teams but with normal rules.