Richmond v Collingwood - Community Shield Game - IKON Park Tuesday, February 27th 6.40pm | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond v Collingwood - Community Shield Game - IKON Park Tuesday, February 27th 6.40pm

When the ball is in the air, you do not want Pickett underneath it.
It's bizarre how poor his judgement is under a high ball. When he has a run and jump to a normal kick he is OK. When he has to judge a high kick he almost craps himself. He doesn't lack courage, but he is so suspect in those instances. Cost us a goal and momentum.

Reactions: 1 user
It's bizarre how poor his judgement is under a high ball. When he has a run and jump to a normal kick he is OK. When he has to judge a high kick he almost craps himself. He doesn't lack courage, but he is so suspect in those instances. Cost us a goal and momentum.

begs the question; why is our wingman under the telegraphed deep high ball?

where's the fullback? The ruckman?

yes it was a howler,

but he was BOG in the first quarter when we up and about, and it was crickets.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't been around the forum long but I'm surprised how quickly everyone jumps on the doomsday bandwagon.

It's a practice match, with a new coach, a new system, a bunch of players in new positions, new leaders (presumably), and quite a few important players not in (Vlastuin is notably missing for me, really lack his composure in the back line).

Everyone's concerned about GC because we want to beat Dimma. We probably won't, it doesn't matter. This year will be a year of learning and maybe some minor success maybe not.

Suggest avoiding game day threads, they were like this even when we were winning flags 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

When is Pickett's court case? I think March 1 going by below: just saying!!, not sure how you block that out, (but yes he was ordinary last night).

but the case was adjourned until March 1

Reactions: 1 users
begs the question; why is our wingman under the telegraphed deep high ball?

where's the fullback? The ruckman?

yes it was a howler,

but he was BOG in the first quarter when we up and about, and it was crickets.
I love Marlion and his running. Wing is his spot, his ability to get p and down the ground is great. But I can't stand his lack of polish in those situations. He *smile* himself and drops sitters, I assume because he takes his eye of the ball.

Part of his (and all modern wings) role is to support the backline so it's not like he shouldn't expect to be in that position at anytime during a game.

I am still backing him and K-Mac as our wings for 2024.

Reactions: 6 users
Exactly the type of game needed in the pre-season. Test yourself against the best. Work out the learnings...of which there were many, and apply them in the season proper. Glimpses of the corridor transition the coaches wish to implement. Need serious legs for this to work.

Key lesson for me is that owe need both Daniel and Shai rotating through the guts. Pure speed to balance the grunt. Shai should be 70-30 mid/forward.

And get a young, fast and competitive midfield apprentice involved ASAP. Do we have one?

Reactions: 4 users
Being at shitkon park. Man that is one terrible stadium to watch footy. Shithouse angles. Guess why its now only for praccy, reserves and womens. When i got home watched it again on KAYO just to reinforce what i saw or missed.

I was very happy with the first qtr, all over them for little return. 1 goal 7 behinds at one stage to 1 point. Should have been min 4 goals.

2nd and 3rd qtrs seemed like our system broke down. Not enough hard running. Pies seemed to just waltz around the ground.
4th qtr did look better at times when Shai went in there and Ross got some ball too,

Was happy with naismith, dow (needs to kick a bit more only had 4 and 16 handballs) and gibbo.

Baker tried his guts out all night. Taranto and short did ok also.

Midfield looks very one paced. When shai went in their in the last we had some spark.

Interesting to see who gets the nod for the small forwards. In the ressies Cumberland kicked 3 goals and had 3 goal assists. Took some strong overhead marks also. Moved up the ground and provided some spark. Lefau who I really like came on in the last and looked nervy, a deer in headlights.

Campbell gonna be a player. Has those traits that you look for. Steely has a new resolve, doesn't mind the tough stuff.
But neither made a real impact at goals. Campbell zero tackles, Green 1 and Lefau 0

For the talls, Kosi needs to move and present. Bit to static. Balta looked likely at times but geez some of the kicks coming in didnt go to their advantage. Easy pickings for pies defenders.

What worries me are the same usual suspects who make the same basic mistakes. So much for emphasis on kicking skills.

Just on the pies they do a lot of 20-30 meter precession kicking and then put the jets on. They open up the ground and their players seem to have so much space. Taranto mentioned something after the game re pies easy passes where we did do a lot of chasing and perhaps got tired towards the end.

Prestia, Taranto, Hopper, Graham, even Dusty are not fast moving mids. Ross another.

Dow, Bolton and Baker are.

On the plus side this match means stuff all and we'll learn a lot about this match going into the season proper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Kane cornes highlight.
Its work rate. Shultz runs over 100m in 19 seconds to kick a goal.
We had that hunger, we don't anymore.
Prestia, Graham Hopper and Ross aren't made for 2024 AFL.
If you can't run and fast for long periods, your not going to make it.View attachment 21901
Was that the goal where Tyler young was cruising back instead of sprinting harder to contest and it was kicked on the goal line? I didn’t see game just some golds on highlights. Apologies if I am wrong

I love Marlion and his running. Wing is his spot, his ability to get p and down the ground is great. But I can't stand his lack of polish in those situations. He *smile* himself and drops sitters, I assume because he takes his eye of the ball.

Part of his (and all modern wings) role is to support the backline so it's not like he shouldn't expect to be in that position at anytime during a game.

I am still backing him and K-Mac as our wings for 2024.

when Mike Tyson played Mr. Mistoffelees on Broadway, the reviews said similar.

ask yourself this:

how does a 184cm man manage to rip 220cm mason cox's goggles off and pull his jumper over his eyes in one move that everyone blames on Sampson Ryan?

if there were no cameras and it was Rockingham after dark, Marlion would have gelded Cox with his teeth in the same action.

he's a street fighter who can sing and dance.

not a ballerina.

although Lachy Whitfield would probably say otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Was that the goal where Tyler young was cruising back instead of sprinting harder to contest and it was kicked on the goal line? I didn’t see game just some golds on highlights. Apologies if I am wrong

Young should've ran harder to cut it off, but I blame it more so on brown just didn't put any real firm contact on Shultz to put him off balance. Shultz kicks a goal off the ground.

Didn't see much of the game but read this thread and thought it must have been a 15 goal drubbing. We lost by 5 goals, which included a goal after trhe siren.

After dominating early and not finishing. And fighting the usual extra player generated by the maggots. As Red suggests why is no one in the media raising it? it's such a huge outlier statistically. And always accentuated against the umpires pets like the Pies/Bulldogs.

23-8 is just not right.

Lynch is the key to our season, I'm still very bullish. Dusty/Prestia/Taranto will all be better for the run.

The Pies got us too easily on the rebound at times. That can be addressed.

Where does Balta play? Not sure if he will work well with Lynch. I am sure he will work well with Gibcus. But understand we probably need him forward at this stage.

Naismith is a huge plus as are Gibcus and Dow.

Still bullish about our season, Lynch is the key.

Reactions: 8 users
when Mike Tyson played Mr. Mistoffelees on Broadway, the reviews said similar.

ask yourself this:

how does a 184cm man manage to rip 220cm mason cox's goggles off and pull his jumper over his eyes in one move that everyone blames on Sampson Ryan?

if there were no cameras and it was Rockingham after dark, Marlion would have gelded Cox with his teeth in the same action.

he's a street fighter who can sing and dance.

not a ballerina.

although Lachy Whitfield would probably say otherwise.
Why is he so petrified under the high ball? He goes at it like Jaydyn Sleevo goes after a contested ball. Meek.

He's a wrecking ball Nureyev at his best, I wish he would bring it to every contest.

Why is he so petrified under the high ball? He goes at it like Jaydyn Sleevo goes after a contested ball. Meek.

He's a wrecking ball Nureyev at his best, I wish he would bring it to every contest.

id hazard a guess and say too much think time?

instinct player.

It is a flaw. But a well-compensated one.

I'd like to see him at centre bounces.

he's quick, agile and tough, which is exactly what we need in there,

especially if were gonna get hours at stoppages into dow, sonz and mccauliffe

Reactions: 1 users
id hazard a guess and say too much think time?

instinct player.

It is a flaw. But a well-compensated one.

I'd like to see him at centre bounces.

he's quick, agile and tough, which is exactly what we need in there,

especially if were gonna get hours at stoppages into dow, sonz and mccauliffe
Yeh, at least the opposition would wake up sore. But he likely would be umpired out of the game.

Reactions: 2 users
That's the goal, Brown was running alongside, then behind shultz and he held him and shultz kicked the goal.
When he was besides him, why didn't he bump him, or stick his arm up to slow him down.
Brown is another no speed defender

we have far too many C grade players a few B and 1 or 2 A grade players

the bulk of our players are no good under pressure and their positive afl behaviours or overwhelmed by their negative on field behaviours ......... its looks like we fold under pressure and our skill execution was bad last night .....DOW was good remember we only kicked 3 goals for 4/5 of the game last night and we only kick a few once the scrum better players were sitting on the bench

we have far too many C grade players a few B and 1 or 2 A grade players

the bulk of our players are no good under pressure and their positive afl behaviours or overwhelmed by their negative on field behaviours ......... its looks like we fold under pressure and our skill execution was bad last night .....DOW was good remember we only kicked 3 goals for 4/5 of the game last night and we only kick a few once the scrum better players were sitting on the bench
We did create a lot of very gettable goals, early on as well

That's the goal, Brown was running alongside, then behind shultz and he held him and shultz kicked the goal.
When he was besides him, why didn't he bump him, or stick his arm up to slow him down.
Brown is another no speed defender
Can’t play in defence if you can’t apply,y or accept physical pressure or contact

Reactions: 3 users