Richmond in Tassie? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Richmond in Tassie?

Given our current situation i have no problem with the Tiges playing a few games in tassie, it may also help us gain a few new members. Tassie has been kind to us over the years, they have given us a few champion players and legends of the club, maybe it's time for us to give them someting back and hopefully help them on their way to getting a team of their own one day soon.

TuesdayswithTerry said:
I would say Hawthorn are a club that have sold their soul.

They don't have anywhere near as big a supporter base as us and we shouldn't need to sell our soul also.

As much as I hate Collingwood & Essendon, I respect them for not selling off home games.
Selling our soul :rofl get real maybe selling games to brisbane or sydney you could say that, but to play a couple of games in place like Tassie where they love their footy and have no team of their own is hardly selling our soul.

TuesdayswithTerry said:
I certainly won't be voting for it whatever the deal is.

If the club is run properly we shouldn't need to be selling home games for cash grabs.

Really? You might want to have a look at how Hawthorn is run.

polo said:
We should not be selling games to get money, rattle some tins if they need the money that bad. I am suprised some many people are happy to have games moved from Melbourne.

with 100 posts Polo, you're obviously new to PRE. trust me when i say that we're in the minority here. :'(

TuesdayswithTerry said:
I would say Hawthorn are a club that have sold their soul.

They don't have anywhere near as big a supporter base as us and we shouldn't need to sell our soul also.

As much as I hate Collingwood & Essendon, I respect them for not selling off home games.

yay, another one on the side of the good guys :clap

clown said:
Selling our soul :rofl get real maybe selling games to brisbane or sydney you could say that, but to play a couple of games in place like Tassie where they love their footy and have no team of their own is hardly selling our soul.

what about the gold coast? apparently they were promoting GC17 at that game last year... we were their "guests."

Ian4 said:
with 100 posts Polo, you're obviously new to PRE. trust me when i say that we're in the minority here. :'(

yay, another one on the side of the good guys :clap

what about the gold coast? apparently they were promoting GC17 at that game last year... we were their "guests."
So anyone not expressing a view similar to yours is a bad guy? Mate, everyone on PRE is entitled to an opinion.
I respect that your views on this issue are strong, and good on you for it. But you should remember that the majority of us on PRE are Tigers supporters and want the exact same thing. Premierships and sustained success.

Tiger_4_Life said:
I want to support a team thats flushed with cash, if we're to be competitive off the field we need this type of money especially if we're not getting sponsorship deals that are as lucrative as other clubs. If we lose 2 home games for the next 4 years, I'd be willing to take that hit if it means an extra mil or more.

Agree - think of all that extra money that can go into recruiting / player development.

Besides, we have an affiliation with Tassie. Some Richmond greats come from the apple isle, I see nothing wrong with raising our profile there and even putting together a special tassie membership, eg entry to the tigers games in hobart + entry to to 1-2 pre-nominated games in Melbourne, with a function thrown in at Punt Road.

Those against this idea are stuck in the old days of local footy where oranges were fed to players at quarter time.

AFL is a business.

If we want to succeed, we can't be left behind in the old days in the name of saying we have more "soul" than other clubs (who do win premierships).

I want premierships, not a feeble emotive club with no serious plans to be the best.

What is Benny Gale's slogan?

"How does this decision help us win our 11th premiership?"

Every decision we make is geared with our 11th flag in mind.

Does 2 extra home games in Melbourne help us win a flag more than 1 million dollars a year??

I don't give a *smile* about some kind of pride in not changing or adapting to modern AFL.

I want premierships!!!

clown said:
Given our current situation i have no problem with the Tiges playing a few games in tassie, it may also help us gain a few new members. Tassie has been kind to us over the years, they have given us a few champion players and legends of the club, maybe it's time for us to give them someting back and hopefully help them on their way to getting a team of their own one day soon.
Agree with this,and as I muted the idea of having a seconds side playing in Hobart in a previous post,it is an untapped market IMO.

for the RFC to go anywhere near realising the ambitious plans that have been laid out we need to be viable. If that means we capitalise on an opportunity that will underpin significant revenue to our club then we would be FOOLS to ignore it. There is real synergy in that region with ourt supporter base, it would be a smart move to get involved. :clap

WesternTiger said:
Just to clarify Cricket Tas and AFL Tas have approach the RFC about playing two games per year.

This is exactly what Ian4 is talking about. This proposal shifts us from two games over three years, to two games per year. Why not sell all eleven if the price is right?

Personally I detest having to watch us play on TV. Whilst I've grudgingly come to terms with the fact that selling home matches is a necessary short-term solution to help us return to a position of strength, it also has the potential to dilute support in the club's own backyard at a time when we can least afford it. It's a dangerous game they're playing.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Personally I detest having to watch us play on TV. Whilst I've grudgingly come to terms with the fact that selling home matches is a necessary short-term solution to help us return to a position of strength, it also has the potential to dilute support in the club's own backyard at a time when we can least afford it. It's a dangerous game they're playing.

So on one hand, our supporter base can endure 30 years of mediocrity, but as soon as we go from 12 to 11 hames in Melbourne it will "dilute support"??

I respect your opinion :)

rockstar_tiger said:
So on one hand, our supporter base can endure 30 years of mediocrity, but as soon as we go from 12 to 11 hames in Melbourne it will "dilute support"??

I respect your opinion :)

"Has potential to" ≠ "will". :)

My passion was built on the routine of going to see the club every week. Interstate games and fixtures all around the clock have already messed with that. Typical modern business approach - *smile* your established customers in the pursuit of gains elsewhere.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
This is exactly what Ian4 is talking about. This proposal shifts us from two games over three years, to two games per year. Why not sell all eleven if the price is right?

Couldn't agree more. Love going everyweek.

Unfortunately, people think:
Hawks sell home games
Hawks win premiership
Therefore selling home games is a key to winning premiership

I would love for the club to stick tough and stay at the MCG. We all know when we are going well we dont need games in tassie. How much money is this going to make us? why cant we look to make this in other ways. All i know is when the club comes out the other side I would like to think we would of not of sold games from our supporters and moved from our heart land and we hung tough and did it in other ways. We dont have to copy the hawthorn model to be successful, there are other ways.

I didn't support the home games on the Gold Coast as we are supporting the establishment of a new club ie apart from cash little other benefit to rfc.

Home games in Hobart I believe, would provide more than just cash, it enables the club to build a strong membership base in a strong AFL state. There are approx 180,000 people in the greater Hobart area which is bigger (or at least similar) than the Geelong region.

Questions I would ask are:
* from the outside, the Hawthorn experiment has worked exceptionally well and has not impeded their ability to win a premiership
* its needs to be long term, none of this 2 or 3 years and then doing something somewhere else ie kangaroos is an example of how not to do it
* rfc would want to receive the same (per game $) compared to Hawthorn
* would like some assurance from the AFL re what they wanted to do long term regarding a Tassie based AFL team
* would it help us get a serious home ground advantage (even if for only 2 games per year)

Also, I don't care what Collingwood or Ess do and hate being compared to them - I want this club to be strong enough to become stronger and bigger than them.

Finally, I am also only a 100 poster on this site, (which is irrelevant) and I would miss watching the tigers live but this would be a small sacrifice if it enables the club to grow significantly.

I'm open to the idea on the following conditions

1) We don't get less games at the MCG, only Telstra Dome matches are moved
2) We only move home games against low drawing interstate sides like Freo & Port which we wouldn't make as much on the home game anyway, even with the new deal
3) At least $4-500k per game
4) Extra away games against Victorian sides at the MCG, just like Hawthorn get

polo said:
We should not be selling games to get money, rattle some tins if they need the money that bad. I am suprised some many people are happy to have games moved from Melbourne.

mate , sadly it aint the 70's no more when a club could be run on the back of the proceeds from sat night chook raffle, the poor clubs will be left behind to perish when the afl soon decides to withdraw their lifeline support meaning every club for itself. We would be patently stupid to ignore a key opportunity that could help underpin the clubs finances in the short-medium term :clap

rockstar_tiger said:
Those against this idea are stuck in the old days of local footy where oranges were fed to players at quarter time.

:rofl

ZeroGame said:
I'm open to the idea on the following conditions

1) We don't get less games at the MCG, only Telstra Dome matches are moved

this argument annoys me more than most. so you're happy to move home games from etihad to interstate, not not MCG games? ::)