Request to stop game early...for Lamby | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Request to stop game early...for Lamby

David C said:
Has anybody considered what is going to happen if we get a few injuries during a real match and instead of using this game to try a few things to cope with that scenario we basically said "It's all too hard, we want to go home"?

Are we going to ask the AFL to stop a real game because circumstances become too inconvenient for us and we lack the imagination to adapt?
As you say it wasn't a REAL game. Practice matches are the final process to get the the players fitness, skills, hardness all ready n tuned up to play the real season of 22 games plus finals. Not to break as many players as you possibly can before the real games even start.

Baloo said:
He didn't throw in the towel, he tried to get the game stopped. If he threw in the towel he would have pulled the team off the field.

Agree he did not throw in the towel but ran up THE WHITE FLAG instead. Dan The Man on Dimwits order approached AFL head game honcho to stop the game due to our rough, tough ,nasty ,never say die Tigers had succumbed to the ladies hand bag carrying Porters . Time to pull the head out of the sand & face the facts. If any other side had done what Dimma did you would be kicking the living *smile* out of them. Our own back yard, nah never happened. Tiger supporters of Olde would not put up with crap like this. They say Nab challenge is joke. Well since our Thursday night pansy act have watched some real games. No quarters given. The person responsible for our melt down is the persons at the Top of Punt Road Tigers. Have we heard from Peggy or Gale on this issue?.

Tigaman said:
Agree he did not throw in the towel but ran up THE WHITE FLAG instead. Dan The Man on Hardwicks order approached AFL head game honcho to stop the game due to our rough, tough ,nasty ,never say die Tigers had succumbed to the ladies hand bag carrying Porters . Time to pull the head out of the sand & face the facts. If any other side had done what Dimma did you would be kicking the living sh!t out of them. Our own back yard, nah never happened. Tiger supporters of Olde would not put up with crap like this. They say Nab challenge is joke. Well since our Thursday night pansy act have watched some real games. No quarters given. The person responsible for our melt down is the persons at the Top of Punt Road Tigers. Have we heard from Peggy or Gale on this issue?.

You keep barking up the wrong tree. This could have happened in practice matches in dozens of years gone by, where one team cops an excess of injuries so one coach just says to his counterpart, "Listen, we'll have to wind this up early." "Ok, understand, no worries."

But because this is THE NAB CHALLENGE, Evans says obligations to sponsors, TV etc. etc.
It's like getting casualties from sheer bad luck in a war game. You need to save the men for the real war, not the phoney one.
If DH kept players on going full-bore and copped a serious injury to Cotch, Dusty or Jack, imagine the flak he'd cop. And what would it prove or achieve?
Remember, Hampo, Menadue, Dusty and Jack others struggling too with niggles as well.

But it better make us ready for PA next time.

Tigaman said:
Agree he did not throw in the towel but ran up THE WHITE FLAG instead. Dan The Man on Hardwicks order approached AFL head game honcho to stop the game due to our rough, tough ,nasty ,never say die Tigers had succumbed to the ladies hand bag carrying Porters . Time to pull the head out of the sand & face the facts. If any other side had done what Dimma did you would be kicking the living sh!t out of them. Our own back yard, nah never happened. Tiger supporters of Olde would not put up with crap like this. They say Nab challenge is joke. Well since our Thursday night pansy act have watched some real games. No quarters given. The person responsible for our melt down is the persons at the Top of Punt Road Tigers. Have we heard from Peggy or Gale on this issue?.

Not enough injuries for your liking?

What's the difference with what we did and North playing a VFL side in the last round last year? They chose not to foeld their best team for the entire game, all condoned by the afl. We only played short for 5 odd minutes in a practice match. I feel like this guy.

http://youtu.be/eGDBR2L5kzI

rosy23 said:
Probably a good call to shorten it. Others are calling for it to be returned to a competition with a winner and a prize. It's a bit of a non-event to me. Hard to get enthused by it. Having said that the clubs are obliged to play by whatever the rules are at the time. If the AFL made it free entry, paid all club costs and there was no betting allowed on it things would be a tad different. I still can't see a scheduled game being called off because one club requests it. I'm looking at this further a field than Tigerland. If Collingwood or Essendon made this call against us when we were travelling well we'd all have pink fits.
I actually think you make a really good point there about the betting, rosy. Do a lot for the concept if they banned betting on it.

Thought it was weak to ask to stop the game.
Shows what little fight the club has on field.

Tigaman said:
I am 76 years old & have been a Tiger supporter all my life. Seen the Tiger greats at Punt Rd when I was still in short pants. No matter where I was on this planet I followed the "Hit Em Hard ,Eat Em Alive Tigers ". Not for one moment did I ever consider a situation where a Tiger coach " Would throw in the Towel ". One witnessed that last night. On this thread you make this excuse & that excuse because Dimma threw in the towel. You do not acknowledge this act. There is never any excuse to throw in the towel when you wear or represent the "Yellow & Black ". Dimma aptly named as he has dimmed the once feared tradition of the Tiger men from Punt Road.

At the time I understood his reasoning. It was about preservation.
Since then having watched some other games played at full tilt until full time, it concerns me. It should be instinctive that players play any game to their utmost. Creates the right habits.
Dimma promoted a give up mentality. Finals anyone?
Perhaps there is something underlying here - he is soft on the players?
Was interesting Jack would not have a bar of it, would not come off. A man at the top of his game just wanted to COMPETE.
Cotch, I'm not so sure. In saying that, I perfectly understand and respect the counter arguments. Not sure where I stand.

22nd Man said:
Nick Kyrios is one who doesn't play out matches. Was it in that league ?

I'm actually sick of this nonsense, but last comment.
Please don't compare that precocious spoilt brat and prize flog with our football team.
But since you draw the analogy. It would be like what happened for Davis Cup. Kygrios gets injured or sick at training, so calls it off, goes home to try to recover for real game.
Simple. Sensible. (Whether he is faking is irrelevant; it appeared that we had several genuine injuries)
Tigers have played out many hard, tough games over the last two years including victories over Dawks, Swans and Dockers.
Sure, EF losses are shockers but not many capitulations in H & A recent years.