Request to stop game early...for Lamby | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Request to stop game early...for Lamby

poppa x said:
Menadue was hurt and wanted to come off. He was limping badly.
But he was forced to go play deep forward so as to comply with the AFL.
If he got seriously injured the RFC as his employer would be in deep do doos.
FWIW, the Rules of AFL Footy says a team comprises a minimum of 14 players.
I think the AFL has put Sponsors, Bookmakers and Broadcasters before player welfare.

Yes, I back Dimma's decision too, overall.
Hampson was also struggling and limping (but again I ask why McBean not picked to provide back-up rather a kid - Cholly). We had said we would only play Lids for a half, so as not to risk him getting an injury.
Other guys who had to stay out there were risking injury because we had no fit rotations left. That was Dimma's major concern; think he started to visualise early losses in the real games. So he insisted on taking them off anyway.
My faint concerns are only: did PA think and play as if we are (or regarded as) soft; and Dimma was panicky. Others on here have pointed out options he could have taken.
Major conclusion possible: Dimma is too panicky and fiery in the box. He needs to develop a far cooler head. This is his weakness.
Even proven last night with DR coming down to calm, control and intervene before DH really blew it with the AFL officials.
Is he just too hot-headed to be tactically astute?

jb03 said:
In his rights. The AFL are negligent in forcing injured players back on the field and would be liable for some serious claims if a player was further hurt.

The cheats against the cats last week was stopped early because of concerns for players welfare

Two different rules for different clubs

poppa x said:
Menadue was hurt and wanted to come off. He was limping badly.
But he was forced to go play deep forward so as to comply with the AFL.

What is the AFL rule he had to comply with poppa? Surely they can't force an injured player to be out on the ground?

nqtiger said:
The cheats against the cats last week was stopped early because of concerns for players welfare

Two different rules for different clubs

What was the concern nq? I can understand a game being stopped for extreme weather conditions but if all players are in the same conditions and one team copes well and another doesn't I can't see why it should be called off.

rosy23 said:
How do the AFL force injured players back on the field? There have been games where a team doesn't have any interchange options but the game goes on. If a team only has 17 players left the game goes on.

The afl told RFC that we could send tired players up forward, but we had to have 18 on the field. Dimmi said they hadn't been rotated off for ages due to the lack of players on the bench, so he called them off. Rd 1 was his priority not nab cup.

I can see both sides, and if we had 18 fit players, we should have just let them stand on the boundary and rest. If we had to field a slightly injured player, to make 18 on the ground, Dimma should give work safe a call. Duty of care is on the employers responsibility, is that the AFL?

The_General said:
The afl told RFC that we could send tired players up forward, but we had to have 18 on the field. Dimmi said they hadn't been rotated off for ages due to the lack of players on the bench, so he called them off. Rd 1 was his priority not nab cup.

I can see both sides, and if we had 18 fit players, we should have just let them stand on the boundary and rest. If we had to field a slightly injured player, to make 18 on the ground, Dimma should give work safe a call. Duty of care is on the employers responsibility, is that the AFL?

Tired players I understand but surely they didn't make injured players see the game out? Is there an AFL rule that 18 have to be on the field?

Not sure what the exact rule says Rosy, but Mark Evans was on SEN this morning talking about it. He inferred they'd cancel if we couldn't put 17 fit on the park, so I'd say no.

The fact they demanded us put 18 on the field though is a bit of an issue though, either way you look at it.

rosy23 said:
What is the AFL rule he had to comply with poppa? Surely they can't force an injured player to be out on the ground?

The AFL's Mark Evans was on the boudary line talking to Richmond's people (DR and Dimma among others).
The commentators were claiming he was saying "you have to have 18 men on the ground" and this was the time when the cameras showed Menadue signalling to come off, and being waved up into the forward line.
There's no proof of course that the AFL instructed us to play injured players, but the inference is clearly there.
IMO, the AFL had a farce/fiasco/whatever you call it up at Rockhampton, and they didn't want their precious NAB series to be further tainted.

Thanks guys. I'll never forget Ash being reported for time wasting as he was taken off on a stretcher. That say was a war zone for the Tiges.

What happened in Rockhampton?

he could have told his players to jog around. don't care that he wanted to stop the game but do care that his game plan is still sh!t.

I am 76 years old & have been a Tiger supporter all my life. Seen the Tiger greats at Punt Rd when I was still in short pants. No matter where I was on this planet I followed the "Hit Em Hard ,Eat Em Alive Tigers ". Not for one moment did I ever consider a situation where a Tiger coach " Would throw in the Towel ". One witnessed that last night. On this thread you make this excuse & that excuse because Dimma threw in the towel. You do not acknowledge this act. There is never any excuse to throw in the towel when you wear or represent the "Yellow & Black ". Dimma aptly named as he has dimmed the once feared tradition of the Tiger men from Punt Road.

Tigaman said:
I am 76 years old & have been a Tiger supporter all my life. Seen the Tiger greats at Punt Rd when I was still in short pants. No matter where I was on this planet I followed the "Hit Em Hard ,Eat Em Alive Tigers ". Not for one moment did I ever consider a situation where a Tiger coach " Would throw in the Towel ". One witnessed that last night. On this thread you make this excuse & that excuse because Dimma threw in the towel. You do not acknowledge this act. There is never any excuse to throw in the towel when you wear or represent the "Yellow & Black ". Dimma aptly named as he has dimmed the once feared tradition of the Tiger men from Punt Road.
I am pretty sure Dimma isn't responsible for that. We haven't been feared since Graeme Richmond destroyed the club 35 years ago. Let's not re-write history here, I am pretty sure Dimma wanting to wrap a practice match early isn't even on the first page of things that have destroyed Richmond's reputation.

hutstar said:
I am pretty sure Dimma isn't responsible for that. We haven't been feared since Graeme Richmond destroyed the club 35 years ago. Let's not re-write history here, I am pretty sure Dimma wanting to wrap a practice match early isn't even on the first page of things that have destroyed Richmond's reputation.

Tigers started with 24 .18 on the paddock 6 interchange. We had four out of action with Edwards Clayton, Grigg, Townsend & Conca & that left us with 20 players to be on the paddock. So why did Dimma throw in the towel when we had the required amount to be on the paddock. Players are supposed to be fit enough to play out these preseason games yet half our lot could not raise a gallop in the last quarter.

He didn't throw in the towel, he tried to get the game stopped. If he threw in the towel he would have pulled the team off the field.

Tigaman said:
Tigers started with 24 .18 on the paddock 6 interchange. We had four out of action with Edwards Clayton, Grigg, Townsend & Conca & that left us with 20 players to be on the paddock. So why did Dimma throw in the towel when we had the required amount to be on the paddock. Players are supposed to be fit enough to play out these preseason games yet half our lot could not raise a gallop in the last quarter.

Hampson was injured, menadue was trying to get off the ground due to a niggle I assume

PRACTICE GAME , I applaud Dimma

taztiger4 said:
Hampson was injured, menadue was trying to get off the ground due to a niggle I assume

PRACTICE GAME , I applaud Dimma
As you say Taz, it's a practice game. I'm with Dimma, they're lucky that the clubs bother to field even half decent teams in this stuff. Ken Hinckley was yesterday calling for the whole concept to be shortened to 2 matches per side.

Probably a good call to shorten it. Others are calling for it to be returned to a competition with a winner and a prize. It's a bit of a non-event to me. Hard to get enthused by it. Having said that the clubs are obliged to play by whatever the rules are at the time. If the AFL made it free entry, paid all club costs and there was no betting allowed on it things would be a tad different. I still can't see a scheduled game being called off because one club requests it. I'm looking at this further a field than Tigerland. If Collingwood or Essendon made this call against us when we were travelling well we'd all have pink fits.

Hardwick did exactly what he should have done and pulled players off to preserve them. We had an obligation to play the match out; it didn't matter how we did it.

When ordered to send players back on, he should've had Townsend carried to the centre on a stretcher and laid on the ground.

Has anybody considered what is going to happen if we get a few injuries during a real match and instead of using this game to try a few things to cope with that scenario we basically said "It's all too hard, we want to go home"?

Are we going to ask the AFL to stop a real game because circumstances become too inconvenient for us and we lack the imagination to adapt?