Request to stop game early...for Lamby | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Request to stop game early...for Lamby

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Interested to know people's opinions on this. I was a bit dumbfounded when I heard it and thought it must have happened in a dream. At face value, and not being privy to details, I'm not the least surprised the AFL didn't allow it. It seemed to show great disrespect and little consideration to others. To the team that had planned and traveled interstate for the game. To the broadcasters and telecasters. To the supporters who opted to spend their time and money to follow the game.

Does anyone know what the actual reason for the request was. It comes across as things aren't going our way so we'll take our ball and go home. Surely there's more to it than that though.

Thanks Rosy.

As per my earlier post I'm agin' it.

Your point is so on point though, Broadcasters sponsors, fans, viewers, integrity of betting. All ignored if you just shut up shop if it gets too hard.

I wonder if it was an initiative by DH himself and not something the powers to be would support. Hope all's well at Tigerland and pressure won't lead to rash decisions.

Need to protect the young players at the bombers because of OHS so have 10 top up players but RFC run your players into the ground in Round 3 of the mickey mouse show because we cannot stop the show!

Don't quite get you there Western. Do you think one team's dissatisfaction should be able to have a game called off?

rosy23 said:
I wonder if it was an initiative by DH himself and not something the powers to be would support. Hope all's well at Tigerland and pressure won't lead to rash decisions.

It was most probably Hardwick himself concerned about the injury toll and not having enough fit players. Its a bad look and holds us up to ridicule however not going to say its the worst thing we've done in 30 years like in the other thread.

Been a few games in the past I wish they called it off early.

IanG said:
It was most probably Hardwick himself concerned about the injury toll and not having enough fit players. Its a bad look and holds us up to ridicule however not going to say its the worst thing we've done in 30 years like in the other thread.

Not sure how worst things would be rated or any purpose in doing so. I haven't read that. Who said it?

rosy23 said:
Not sure how worst things would be rated or any purpose in doing so. I haven't read that. Who said it?

Actually worst in 20 years:

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=49645.msg1937695#msg1937695

IanG said:
Its a bad look and holds us up to ridicule however not going to say its the worst thing we've done in 30 years like in the other thread.

It's what you might think and verbalise protecting a proven top 4 side, not from a coach who is fighting to prove he can coach and win perhaps one finals game in four years.

IanG said:
Actually worst in 20 years:

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=49645.msg1937695#msg1937695

That says ranks with the worst not the worst. I don't know how worst things would be rated but I think it was pretty ordinary.

We'd have a field day on here if the coach of another club made a similar call against us.

Nothing, but nothing was worse that taking to the field in a yellow and black hawthorn jumper for our much publicised centenary game only to get completely and utterly embarrassed by Carlton.

What happened yesterday was nothing in the grand scheme of things.

In his rights. The AFL are negligent in forcing injured players back on the field and would be liable for some serious claims if a player was further hurt.

Menadue was hurt and wanted to come off. He was limping badly.
But he was forced to go play deep forward so as to comply with the AFL.
If he got seriously injured the RFC as his employer would be in deep do doos.
FWIW, the Rules of AFL Footy says a team comprises a minimum of 14 players.
I think the AFL has put Sponsors, Bookmakers and Broadcasters before player welfare.

jb03 said:
In his rights. The AFL are negligent in forcing injured players back on the field and would be liable for some serious claims if a player was further hurt.

How do the AFL force injured players back on the field? There have been games where a team doesn't have any interchange options but the game goes on. If a team only has 17 players left the game goes on.

jb03 said:

here here, well said

it a practice game FFS, as usual the 2 flogs KB & the other 1 went for Dimma's jugular

rosy23 said:
How do the AFL force injured players back on the field? There have been games where a team doesn't have any interchange options but the game goes on. If a team only has 17 players left the game goes on.

Games worth 4 points or progression in finals - no issue. Trumped up practice match - I have an issue. If was being played at Goshes Paddock no one would care. If you can reduce games because of heat / stop because of weather in the NAB cup stopping one with 10 minutes to go because you can only field 15 players because otherwise you risk running your players into the ground or them being injured isn't a major issue.

Just my 2 cents and in the scheme of things butch Gale kicking the wrong way in 1995 prelim final was a lot worse than last night.