Punt Road Redevelopment | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Punt Road Redevelopment

It’s time the board gave us an update on this project. We need to be excited for this project to happen. How much has the club raised by our members?
Wasn't it about $500k or something a few weeks ago ?

Since we announced this vision, I think Carlton, Footscray, Freo, Swans, Essendon, Brisbane, Adelaide have all commenced and finished their sizeable projects. Our facilities look sub-standard in comparison to them from what I've seen. We're falling behind. We've basically gone nowhere with it over what, 5-6 years now ? Longer ?

Hawthorn I think has just started on their massive complex at Dingley.

Announced sorry. About a decade ago
Referencing Hawthorn as being a poster boy for a delayed project is a good one because Hawthorn bought their land and announced their development plans for Dingley in 2015 it seems. They started construction in 2023. So, 8 years before getting a shovel in the dirt.

At a minimum, Richmond engaged Otium Planning for their re-development plans in 2019. So here we are 5 years down the track and not looking like turning a shovel for a while yet ourselves.

So yes, Richmond, just like Hawthorn…. both poster boys for a delayed project. Good pick up-reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Referencing Hawthorn as being a poster boy for a delayed project is a good one because Hawthorn bought their land and announced their development plans for Dingley in 2015 it seems. They started construction in 2023. So, 8 years before getting a shovel in the dirt.

At a minimum, Richmond engaged Otium Planning for their re-development plans in 2019. So here we are 5 years down the track and not looking like turning a shovel for a while yet ourselves.

So yes, Richmond, just like Hawthorn…. both poster boys for a delayed project. Good pick up-reference.
yes. Don't get me wrong I wish we would or could get going but there are so many projects around Australia (and globally) that have got hit by a perfect storm i.e. COVID, unprecedented increase in building material costs, builder collapses, lack of labour and in Victoria a massive public infrastructure investment soaking up resources.

I have a lot of sympathy for delay but at some point that sympathy will diminish.

I also am not one who is calling on our club leaders to talk all the time but this is one issue it would be nice to get an update on soon.

Reactions: 1 users
whilst at the peak or powers we needed to be driving the redevelopment.
It’s like after the horse has bolted.
Anyway, the Pres said on crunch time last week, they are very mindful of the
$$$$$

Lack of movement on this is mind boggling.
Have Dogs and Hawks already finished their upgrades/venues?
Club has completely dropped the ball on this.

Prob Benny's only failure under his watch.
Or is that too harsh?

Lack of movement on this is mind boggling.
Have Dogs and Hawks already finished their upgrades/venues?
Club has completely dropped the ball on this.

Prob Benny's only failure under his watch.
Or is that too harsh?
way too harsh & not close to being factual, so i will counter your *smile* with a fact or 2

Fact: Multiplex were awarded the building contract
Fact: A major Multiplex subcontractor went bust
Fact: Due to the above fact, tenders for said subcontract package were re-issued
Fact: Price increase on tenders received was approx $8M
Fact: Multiplex has the right to pass price increase onto RFC
Fact: Building will commence this year & will now be done in stages

Reactions: 9 users
way too harsh & not close to being factual, so i will counter your *smile* with a fact or 2

Fact: Multiplex were awarded the building contract
Fact: A major Multiplex subcontractor went bust
Fact: Due to the above fact, tenders for said subcontract package were re-issued
Fact: Price increase on tenders received was approx $8M
Fact: Multiplex has the right to pass price increase onto RFC
Fact: Building will commence this year & will now be done in stages
Cool stuff.
I didn't know.
Thanks.
Consider me duly knocked back into my box.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Shane Dunne speaks about it in the Talking Tigers podcast and the club is talking to the AFL about using the facility as a boutique venue for VFL, AFLW, and the finals series for the under 18 comps. I presume this means $$ from the AFL

Shane Dunne speaks about it in the Talking Tigers podcast and the club is talking to the AFL about using the facility as a boutique venue for VFL, AFLW, and the finals series for the under 18 comps. I presume this means $$ from the AFL

$ From the AFL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, over their dead bodies, they hate us we hate them, have given us nothing.

They already have the Western Oval and Carlscum Park designated as the home of AFLW facilities, we can campaign as hard as we like but I doubt the AFL will listen.

Shane mentioned the MCC as well but what role would they play?, can't think of one:unsure:.

Reactions: 2 users
$ From the AFL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, over their dead bodies, they hate us we hate them, have given us nothing.

They already have the Western Oval and Carlscum Park designated as the home of AFLW facilities, we can campaign as hard as we like but I doubt the AFL will listen.

Shane mentioned the MCC as well but what role would they play?, can't think of one:unsure:.
The MCC are chipping in on the car park as they want to use it for accessible parking on game day as for your other arguments PRO is next to the MCG with Richmond station and other transport at the door step among other things.. Comparing PRO to the Western oval is like comparing a bag of oranges to a grape

We are going to have a capacity of 8000 which will open it up for double header games, location, location, location

Last edited:
  • Haha
The MCC are chipping in on the car park as they want to use it for accessible parking on game day as for your other arguments PRO is next to the MCG with Richmond station and other transport at the door step among other things.. Comparing PRO to the Western oval is like comparing a bag of oranges to a grape

We are going to have a capacity of 8000 which will open it up for double header games, location, location, location
Thanks on the MCC, re our location, that didn't matter when the AFL and various governments detailed the complete redevelopment of the MCG precinct, we may be the gateway but the RFC was completely overlooked, the club and Benny Gale where furious and extremely disappointed