Positives and negatives | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Positives and negatives

Tigerbob said:
Positives:
Webberley showed he has the skill set to be an AFL player in the future, just needs to work on a few other issues but could be another late round bargain. Nason whilst quieter still was never out of the game as he did the basics all night. Nason and Nahas as smaller forwards looked really good.

I would be interested to hear what you think Webberley's other issues are Tb?

TigerFurious said:
I would be interested to hear what you think Webberley's other issues are Tb?

One on one contesting and positioning. Whilst his body looks bigger and he has done a lot of work since being recruited his core strenght is still a tad away. The club have identified this and are working on developing that. Needs more intensity on his defensive mindset also. He has some fantastic attributes and having Connors, Deledio and Webberley in the future raoaring out of the backline will be beneficial for us as they are all very good kicks of the football.

Wasn't having a go at the kid as I like him, was very good for Coburg, just needed to work on a couple of areas. Looks to have improved in those area's from early in the season which is pleasing.

There were many positives. Unfortunately we do have to remember we were playing another team who have not won a game and will most likely struggle to win another. The fade out in the last was very disheartening, especially watching those Adelaide supporters celebrating as if it were a premiership. Anyway good signs ahead, hope we are talking in a completely different manner in 2 years time.

Tigerbob said:
Positives:

Deledio has found his role at half back, looking forward to him and Dan Connors controlling the half back line in the near future. Would be a very good combination. Dan continuing his form for Coburg is great to see. -- your not the only one there TB.

Polaks return to the side, battled hard did Polly, was very encouraged. -- Really not sure what to think at this stage but he'd be in every day of the week if the the other option is Simmonds.

Nason and Nahas as smaller forwards looked really good. -- Starting to see some real forward pressure from these two. Just need some more tall timber to crumb off.

Encouraging Griffiths showed alot for Coburg seniors, I see him as providing that forward structure in the future and maybe the near future that will make us a better team. Astbury showed signs again but his body is nowhere near it at the moment. -- These two kids playing in the same side is what Im waiting for, hopefully the wait isn't too long.

Tigerbob said:
Positives:

Deledio has found his role at half back, looking forward to him and Dan Connors controlling the half back line in the near future. Would be a very good combination. Dan continuing his form for Coburg is great to see.

disagree - need deledio in the middle so we can punt tuck and jackson asap.

Harry said:

Tuck will be punted regardless at the end of the year. For the future we need Deledio to find his role, and to me, him flying off half back with Connors will be more beneficial to us in the long term. We no doubt need to get more numbers in the midfield, we need Foley back and fit and then we can have Foley, Cotchin, Martin, Edwards and fillers to play in the guts this season. Next season we need to recruit and draft a couple more members to that rotation whilst hoping Nason develops the engine, Collins can shake injuries and be a part of that rotation etc etc.

I thought Jackson did ok last night and has had some good games this season. Certainly not part of my vision for our next Premiership but I think this season he is needed. Had a heap of tackles and did some good hard inside work to release Cotch. There is no doubt a fit Foley will make that midfield look a lot better.

Harry said:

I agree. Deledio is the player we need in the middle to get the ball to at every opportunity. I don't see him taking on the role of Tuck or Jackson though, just doesn't seem to have the physical presence to do so. I see guys like Martin and Cotchin doing alot more of the grunt work in the future than Deledio. But get it in Deledio's hands and he is more likely than not to dispoe of it to our advantage.

Tigerbob said:
I thought Jackson did ok last night and has had some good games this season. Certainly not part of my vision for our next Premiership but I think this season he is needed. Had a heap of tackles and did some good hard inside work to release Cotch. There is no doubt a fit Foley will make that midfield look a lot better.

It's not all bout tackling - for every tackle me makes he makes 2 errors. Note how many times he bombs it blindly (where some level of composure would result in us keeping posession) and how many times he is tackled (where a quick dish out would again help us maintain posession). His efforts are there and he has the big body but he is a total liability in that any sort of momentum we try to generate in our play breaks down whenever he is involved.

Football is won in the middle and deledio will provide the big body required and would help maintain the posession and momentum we try to generate there. He was rcruited as a mid and we need him there. Foley, Martin Cotchin is not enough to compete with the big boys. Newman, Connors and Webberly can create the run off half back.

Lids becoming as important as McLeod was for Adelaide in their hey day certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

Harry said:
It's not all bout tackling - for every tackle me makes he makes 2 errors. Note how many times he bombs it blindly (where some level of composure would result in us keeping posession) and how many times he is tackled (where a quick dish out would again help us maintain posession). His efforts are there and he has the big body but he is a total liability in that any sort of momentum we try to generate in our play breaks down whenever he is involved.

Football is won in the middle and deledio will provide the big body required and would help maintain the posession and momentum we try to generate there. He was rcruited as a mid and we need him there. Foley, Martin Cotchin is not enough to compete with the big boys. Newman, Connors and Webberly can create the run off half back.

I hear ya loud and clear. I just think for next season and beyond, Deledio being used as a half back playmaker will be what makes this team tick. I think whether no matter what we do we are robbing Peter to pay Paul. In my opinion, I like Deledio off half back more than I like him in the guts getting tagged and criticised for not working hard enough.

He has that ability to see the field more clearly than most, has electric pace to break a line or two, and his use of the ball is first class. To me that screams coming out of defence. Maybe it is also becuase I do not see Newman in my long term team and see him as an ideal candidate for trading to get some better pieces that fit our team. One eye on the present, one on our future.

On Jackson, not interested in talking about his flaws, I was heavily criticised last season for pointing them out and was told I had no idea. This season, in a team that is getting belted week in week out, his desperation and effort is appreciated. As I said, he is not in my long term team but this season, I will have him in my side for now.

Baloo said:
Lids becoming as important as McLeod was for Adelaide in their hey day certainly wouldn't be a bad thing.

Lids becoming as important as an Ablett or Judd would be better.

Positives: edwards up forward
deleidio controlling half back
webberly's kicking
VICKERY- best game for the club- 18 h/outs, really stood up
Riewolt- continues to give

Negatives:
Polo/Mc Guane- ill disciplined
Last Quarter