Positives and negatives | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Positives and negatives

Re: Its taken 7 weeks however there is Light at end of the tunnel.

a dissappointing end but

vickery, 2nd year ruck playing as no. 1.
dustin martin. enough said
citchin. decent game despite lack of fitness & being constantly targeted

not all doom & gloom. we have a young nucleus of what could be a good side. bit of patience needed

Positives:

Hmmm...

Webberly good in debut.
Martin got some more experience although he did struggle a bit.
Cotchin had a really good game. Want more of that from him.
Our effort until the last quarter.
Nahas was good as a FP crumber, leave him there as he ain't a midfielder DH.
One of Edwards best games.

Negatives:

Our last quarter effort.
Same old people making the same old mistakes.
Still carrying too many poorly skilled/poor decision makers in the team.
Still too small and carrying to many midgets (can only carry a couple sub 180 type players).
Rance. Obviously DH is trying to find a position for him but it's not working. Played in the midfield (cringeworthy), up back. Said from the start he has a lot of worrying attributes in his game and it hasn't changed. Very small chance of making it.
Astbury has dropped off, might be time to give him a spell in the 2's as well as Nason. Who to bring in though?
Polak tried hard but I would like to develop a proper ruckman and I don't want to Josh Fraser Vickery. Bring in Browne/Graham and maybe give Vickery a rest soon too, very undersized still.
Our defenders are not big enough, McGuane, Thursfield, Moore and this is forgetting about their deficiencies. If you get a forward over 195cm like today (Tippett) if he has an ounce of talent he can just monster our defenders. We need at least one 194-195cm type to make it, Post has to be that man. Gourdis is also a cm or 2 bigger and bigger body wise. Same goes for the forwards, need Astbury or Griffiths to make it.

All I can think of for now.

the light at the end of the tunnel will not get any brighter if we persist with dumb footballers like Jackson and Tuck. These 2 are ridiculously bad footballers yet we continue to play them. Whenever these 2 are involved in any passage of play more often than not it falls down. jackson will either bomb the ball blindly or his mega slow hands and absolutely no awareness will ensure he is tackled and a ball up will result. tuck similarly will kick it up and under in hope and has no idea how to evade an opponent to make time for himself. we have others in the same boat but there is no excuse for these 2 more experienced players.

at the moment it should not be about reducing the bleeding or trying to snatch a win. it should be all about trying to develop a slick, smart, cohesive, efficient game plan and developing the players that can execute it. I don't care about being blown out of the water due to inexperience and lack of physical maturity, but when I constantly see turnovers and stupid decisions made by the same "experienced" players like the 2 mentioned then it really is depressing.

webberly in his first game showed more awareness and composure than these 2 have their whole career. Michael Barlow should be evidence enough to give us confidence to punt these 2 at the end of the season and find some mature bodied on ballers late in the draft who possess some smarts and awareness, to provide some decent support to martin, cotchin, foley and deledio (for gods sake get him in the middle)

Harry said:
the light at the end of the tunnel will not get any brighter if we persist with dumb footballers like Jackson and Tuck. These 2 are ridiculously bad footballers yet we continue to play them. Whenever these 2 are involved in any passage of play more often than not it falls down.

webberly in his first game showed more awareness and composure than these 2 have their whole career. Michael Barlow should be evidence enough to give us confidence to punt these 2 at the end of the season and find some mature bodied on ballers late in the draft who possess some smarts and awareness.

Agree Harry. They're like a couple of faulty cogs (with respect) in the machine at the moment. Their turnovers murder us.

astbury has to keep playing. pick a posi for him, fwd or back. and leave him there for another 5 weeks. give him a spell and bringback for remainder of season
post must play FWD most of rest of the seaon
griffo when over injuries,must come in and play last 10 or so games.
goo must be tried at FB for rest of year. good at burgs. promote somehow either hes gonna makeit or not. play him and see, hes been here about 4 years
contin has to be given 10 games this year.
taylor should play a few more games
webberlyshould play majority of games from now on.
dea, back soon after some confidence gained at coburg. he should play at least 10 games this year.
browne must be given most of the rest of the seasons games.

bottom line we gotta give these kids a chance, some confidence, and hopefully they show something and develop.
the DUDS are DUDS, have been DUDS, and are still gonna be DUDS......

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Its taken 7 weeks but we finally were able to stay in touch for 3qtrs.

We have to remember how young the side was out there tonight.
No Cousins, no Simmonds, another debutant and a heap of young footballers who have played a handful of games.
YET we were competitive for 3/4s of the match.
We've just got to keep getting games into these young guys no matter how painful it is and see who can play.

Positive.
We made it through 3 quarters.

If we plan to request help from the AFL, a short term request would be to shorten our games by 30 minutes.

i thought a positive was the fact that polak was more useful as our 2nd ruck to vickery rather vickery being our 2nd ruck to simmonds. think that is something to persist with over the next 4 weeks to see if it develops a bit more. simmonds is confirmed not to be any part of our next finals appearance.

Lots of positives from the young fellas. Particularly chimp.

Negatives:Our system out of the backline is absolutely disgraceful - we lost all momentum when the game was to be won in the 3rd quarter. Some heat has to go onto Hardwick for this, surely. The set plays after a point were nothing short of embarrassing. I hate to say it but even Frawley and the Geish had better organisation.

evo said:
Lots of positives from the young fellas. Particularly chimp.

Negatives:Our system out of the backline is absolutely disgraceful - we lost all momentum when the game was to be won in the 3rd quarter. Some heat has to go onto Hardwick for this, surely. The set plays after a point were nothing short of embarrassing. I hate to say it but even Frawley and the Geish had better organisation.

Agree. our kick outs this year have been a joke - hardwick needs to back his players from the kick outs.

Positives:
Edwards game - he played better tonight and looked dangerous aswell as adding some forward pressure,
keep him up forward as others have been saying for awhile.

Nahaaaas - getting some of that form back that got him elevated to the senior list.

3 qtrs of pressure football even though it was against an out of form side.

Negatives:
Our inability to create scoreboard pressure,too many easy goals get missed week in week out.

Polaks elevation over Gourdis,if ever there was a time to see if the Goo has the hunger its right now.

Got smashed in the ruck - AGAIN, just can't understand the logic in not giving Browne a go, its not as if
he is any worse than Simmonds & Angus. Would have liked to see Vickery resting in the forward line.

Positives
Cotchin much improved, seemed to last longer than in past games this year.
Nason good again, just keeps going and does the little things well.
Edwards excellent effort, best for us.
Martin gained more experience
Webberley looked good for a first gamer.
One game closer to the next cull!

Negatives have all been covered by others.

Probably could've done a little more but I thought Polak's game was reasonably heartening.

evo said:
Probably could've done a little more but I thought Polak's game was reasonably heartening.

I thought Polak was good for the most part.

It was a positive that we had an extra player around the ground - A much better option then Simmonds ( around the ground ) rucking - we will continue to struggle

Positives- put on great pressure in the first half.
Nahas kept us in it

Negatives-
Lack of scoring options again.
3rd quarter some bad misses
A pathetic capitulation in the final qtr, against a side accused of being to old and not being able to play 4 quarters.

We are miles away.

Positives:

3 Quarters, maybe 2.5 Quarters actually I saw some very good signs. The players are strarting to get key structures and diciplines and implemement them on a regular basis.

Tackling pressure for those three quarters. Amazing when that simple basic dropped in the last we went backwards. Nahas was brilliant in this area. His stint back at Coburg to work on those things has really helped.

Found Edwards' role and he adds some midfield spark with Cotchin playing well. If we can ever get Foley, Martin, Cotchin and Edwards playing well together we will be better for it.

Deledio has found his role at half back, looking forward to him and Dan Connors controlling the half back line in the near future. Would be a very good combination. Dan continuing his form for Coburg is great to see.

Polaks return to the side, battled hard did Polly, was very encouraged.

Webberley showed he has the skill set to be an AFL player in the future, just needs to work on a few other issues but could be another late round bargain. Nason whilst quieter still was never out of the game as he did the basics all night. Nason and Nahas as smaller forwards looked really good.

Negatives were there for everyone to see. We are miles away but we all should have known this. I was absolutely pissed off that the effort and tackling pressure dropped off. Encouraging Griffiths showed alot for Coburg seniors, I see him as providing that forward structure in the future and maybe the near future that will make us a better team. Astbury showed signs again but his body is nowhere near it at the moment. Anyway onto Hawthorn and Essendon in the next two weeks.

Positives: MAin positive for me was Edwards. Foun d plenty of the ball and at the ground really noticed his leadership aswell directing players etc something I hadnt seen from him before. Was impressed with the kid was always around it.

Negatives: The thing that pissed me off most during that last quarter was after Rance missed that target in front of Adelaide's goal and the yscored as a result of it, not one player, not one, went over to him afterwards to console him or get him to continue on thinking in a positive manner, they just let him walk into the middle with two hands above his head dwelling in his sorrow. Showed a complete lack of teamwork and at least one or two of the blokes should havecome over given him a tap on the arse on something and said forget about it jsut keep going. Pitiful really and it infuriated me. The sooner we do team things like that the better we will become. Our teamwork is still clearing lacking.

How we could just bend over and let them put it whereever they wanted in that quarter was disgusting aswell. Just a lack of belief when they had everything to gain. Virtually looked like they stopped . Disappointing. THought we were in it at three quarter time left the game totally deflated.

Liked Webberlys game - looks a natural footballer with nice skills. With Connors, Deledio and Webberly - we could finally get some good ball users coming out of the back half. Time to get rid of the guys who cost us games under pressure - McGuane, Moore, Tuck, Jackson, Tambling, White etc.....get guys who dont fumble under pressure or stuff kicks up at vital times and just keep playing and trying the the kids:

Newman    Gourdis   Webberly

Connors   Thursfield  Deledio 

Nason        Martin     Edwards

Astbury     Reiwoldt   Nahas

Morton      Griffiths     Post

R. Vickery, Cotchin, Foley

-Time to start devloping a spine. Get Gourdis at FB. Griffiths once ready - stick him in the goalsquare. Thursfield might not give a lot of drive but he is a good stopper and is athletic - try him at CHB instead of McGuane. Even Deledio at CHB may be an option.
Jack and Astbury as lead up HFs...Post as a roaming type. Good hands and a good kick - will take another key defender to free others up.

positives :

edwards and nahas good

polak showed enough to get another crack

vickery although beaten in ruck i think didn't do too badly considering he was only option

liking lids off halfback

negetives

jack riewoldts attitude, needs to be dropped regardless of him being only forward option

chris newmans kicking, extremely over rated

tambling just simply can not play the game

Harry said:
Agree. our kick outs this year have been a joke - hardwick needs to back his players from the kick outs.

Our kickouts have been a joke for years.